Best Buy to stop selling CDs.

i havent been to a best buy for a while went with my son to buy some earbuds recently but didnt look around. are they selling vinyl there now? i havent bought a CD in years so i dont care about that but it would be interesting if the vinyl resurgence was pushing out CD's like CD's pushed out Vinyl before.

Last time I was in Best Buy it was to help my mother buy a new TV and BluRay player. That section of the store was quite busy, but then Christmas/SuperBowl is TV sales season.

Best Buy's CD racks always sucked, as far as being able to browse what they had.

They really aren't a CD/Video store. They should stick to TV's low end stereos, games, computers, cell phones and the like. Their prices on TV prices are competitive with on-line stores and the fact that their Geek Squad can offer services one can't get on line should be a benefit.

I'd like see more "personal" home electronics like table radios, boom boxes, internet radios and the like on display in the store.

I do like having them around.

size matters. 4000+ mp3 songs fit on a 32gb chip (I got 3 of them) which can plug into puters or pods. vinyl is a niche that you want, for that den, or you do not want. CDs on the other hand - have now become clumsy, even tho they are better than every single streamable/sharable digital format.

and because amazon has essentially ripped every CD in existence for $.79 to $1.99 per song, people get to pick and choose, online, using a paypal account....

its a good business decision to not carry cds. floor space is expensive. aint no one buying them....

When I leased a 2016 Honda Civic it had no CD player. Just radio and usb port. Car salesman said no more CD players, kids use their phones or a thumb drive. Time marches on!

My library can get most of what I need for CD's. If not, Amazon if it is a must buy.

When I leased a 2016 Honda Civic it had no CD player. Just radio and usb port. Car salesman said no more CD players, kids use their phones or a thumb drive. Time marches on!

My library can get most of what I need for CD's. If not, Amazon if it is a must buy.

This exactly, when my old Honda's CD player died a few years back I replaced it with a unit that had CD and USB.
I hardly ever use the CD player unless it's to listen to a disc I just bought.
My other vehicle recently got a head unit with no CD player but it has USB & BT & it will play FLAC files.

All my CD's get ripped to MP3 for the car and FLAC for archive, and then put away for backup, basically the same thing we all did with Albums and Cassettes back in the Stone Age.

When I leased a 2016 Honda Civic it had no CD player.

I was in the market for a new commuter car back in the latter part of 2016. One of my finalists was the Kia Soul. Then I found out it didn't come with a CD player.....crossed it off of the list.

I don't know why....perhaps I am getting old.....it just didn't seem right. I have portable CD players that I can plug into one of the available inputs. Still, it was just wrong not to have a CD player in the car.

Last edited:
And during SACD early years, one can pick up new SACDs for just a dollar or two more than the regular CD version.
Yeah, around here the BBs had a pretty big SACD section for a few years. I bought a pile of those RCA Living Stereo discs for about $10 a piece.
Never liked the place, still don't, but that section was good while it lasted.

You know how when you read of the death of an old actor and you think: “Hmmm... I did not know they were still alive!”

That is how I feel about Best Buy.

I used to find a better selection, and easier-to-browse CD displays, at the Circuit City across the road from the local Best Buy. Both are gone now.

Apart from a few recent titles, the local record store doesn't have new CDs, and both Target & WalMart have cut way back on what they carry. Brick & mortar retail is not able to keep up with the wider selection available online, and the prices on the glut of used CDs up for sale.

I don't stream or download my music. I still buy new CD and SACD....in fact, hundreds of them, each year. I have to say that I haven't purchased any CD from Best Buy in years. Last time I purchased a CD from a brick-and-mortar store was at Target....

25644077878_1d293f1206.jpg

Gaaawwwwdddd ....

I still remember when CDs first appeared. They were the Future; the final word in audio.

Now they may very well join 8 Tracks on the Island of Misfit Toys.

Back
Top Bottom