1978-1989 911 SC & Carrera & Turbo
1987-1989 928S4
1987-1989 MR2 Supercharged
1985-1990 Buick T-Type & GN & GNX
1987-1993 Mustang LX & GT & Cobra 5.0
1989-1995 ZR-1
1987-1991 CRX Si
1977-1981 450sel 6.9

Wow, the 80s really were an automotive wasteland, weren't they?!

The only thing that comes to mind off the cuff is the Corrado VR6.

Volkswagen%20Corrado%20(1).jpg

Introduced in 1988 so I guess it just squeezes in.
The 1990s were better all 'round imho.

The 5 cyl turbo really had its own unique sound, you could hear one coming. Also I thought they were attractive and comfortable cars, besides being fast. Of course I never owned one, or paid for maintenance, only rode in them - so there is that.

funny a 8 second 0-60 time 35yrs ago used to be fast....When now minivans post better times!!!

Yep not to mention brakes. You take your life (and the front end of your car) in your hands now if you drive an older car in modern traffic. People will cut you off and jam on their brakes and their brakes are better than yours.

^^^ Mercedes and Porsche and BMW had good brakes in the 80’s. Cars weighed a lot less too. So they didn’t need as much stopping power. Now tires are another story.

Wow, the 80s really were an automotive wasteland, weren't they?!

The only thing that comes to mind off the cuff is the Corrado VR6.

Volkswagen%20Corrado%20(1).jpg

Introduced in 1988 so I guess it just squeezes in.
The 1990s were better all 'round imho.

Corrado SLC wasn't introduced until 91' and ran until 95' (in Canada).

If you have a VW Westfalia on blocks beside your shelter belt, you have a retirement nest egg. Even the square Westies of the 1980s are worth a lot now.

In 2006, VW made news with a 1986 Jetta TurboDiesel that had 562K original miles. This isn't a car that had a bunch of engine rebuilds and restoration work, like the 3M mile Volvo that keeps moving the record goal posts further out (also an epic good car, though).

What's more, all of the TurboDiesels of that era would do 500K miles without rebuild. It wasn't a fluke.

The Mercedes 240D would be worth more today than what it cost new, in almost any condition. That's not because it was a bad car.....

Lots of good cars were produced in the 1980s. They just weren't made by domestic manufacturers.

I think the domestic companies did make some good cars in the 80s, just not so many sexy good cars.

For example, the Ford and Chevy pickup trucks were solid vehicles which lasted long, and so were full size cars like the Chevy Caprice. The dodge caravan was a very good vehicle too, from a functional standpoint.

The above mentioned 1980s VW Westfalia is something else to drive. We had an 86 in the family, and it was by far the best camper I have ever been in, because you could easily combine a camping trip with driving in cities.

Jeez, this old thread's still got life in it. Kudos, 1980'slover (ie, the OP), wherever y'are. (banned from this joint, long ago, IIRC)

^^^ Got bloated a la 280z.. Second Gen was trying to look like a 944. This won alot of hearts on rotarys...

Attachments

• 1980-mazda-rx7.jpg
    1980-mazda-rx7.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 9
Cars of the 80's... now I remember. It was the darkest most uninspiring automotive decade since the dawn of the Automobile Age. Bland vanilla Chevy Beretta's, Cadillac's that looked like Toyota's, butt-ugly Dodge Rams (look at today's Rams, it's night and day in comparison) but the worst of the worst were those damn K-Cars from Chrysler, why were they were so popular I'll never know, I don't think even Lee Iacocca knew the reason. I had a 1986 Thunderbird. At least that's what they called it because it looked nothing like that massive, assertive T-Bird of 60's-70's fame. Twas a wedding gift from my in-laws, I was 23 but driving that thing made me feel like I was way past 60. BUT even at the darkest of hours shone a little light by the name of Pontiac Fiero. It was small, uncomfortable, under-powered and supremely unreliable but man, did it ever had flair!

I had an 86 Honda CRX Si which got was fun to drive and got 30 MPG in the city. I'm looking forward to the day when somebody besides Tesla comes out with a compact electric car.

Last edited:
One of the few cars out of the 80's that still gets me excited when I see them are the late 80's S class Mercedes. The 80s had mostly ugly square and wedge shaped cars. I owned 4 different FJ60 / FJ62s Landcruisers and always loved the lines on that SUV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom