Best cartridges for my Pioneer TTs?

kapohoguy

I've settled in with two nice Pioneer TTs, a PL-560 in the living room and a PL-530 in the office. I have four cartridges to choose from: Shure V15 Type V, Shure V15 Type II, Empire 2010, and Grado GC. All have decent stylii. The PL-530 was a CL find that I re-veneered and it looks super. I plan to reveneer the PL-560 eventually as well.

So, my question is: Which cart would you keep with which TT? I read somewhere that the high compliance Shure carts don't do well with Pioneer S-shaped arms. The Shures and Empire all sound pretty similar to me. The Grado seems to have more detail. Any opinions would be welcomed.

The Shure V15 V-MR is a legendary top of the line cartridge. It will sound great on either of your turntables. For sure choose that to use. Also, since you have two turntables, get two of the same records, the same pressing and play compare how the different cartridges sound.

The Shure V15 V-MR is a legendary top of the line cartridge. It will sound great on either of your turntables. For sure choose that to use. Also, since you have two turntables, get two of the same records, the same pressing and play compare how the different cartridges sound.

I tried a similar comparison. Mounted each cart in a Pioneer compatible headshell and switched them out on the same TT, listened to the same tracks of same records. Of course had to reset the tracking force with each, but it seemed to work. This was where the Grado blew me away. Could be because I've never heard a Grado before and they are simply different from the Shure/Empire design. Every other Grado cart I've encountered on a vintage TT had a broken stylus. I have a box of them somewhere.

I'm thinking I'll keep both Shures and the Grado for now and put the very Empire on the TT I'm about to offer on CL.

Back
Top Bottom