Best CD Player from this list...

js bach

Which older cd player(s) from the list below do you think sounds the best AND would go well with my Denon PMA-900V Integrated Amp and Mirage M-3si speakers?

1. Sony CDP-650ESD II
2. Sony CDP-507ESD
3. NAD 5100
4. DBX DX-5
5. California Audio Labs Icon MKII
6. California Audio Labs Icon MKII w/ Power Boss
7. Denon DCD-1500
8. Nakamichi OMS-7AII
9. Rotel RCD-971
10. Adcom GCD-575
11. Adcom GCD-750
12. Mission PCM-7000

I don't know them all but I'd go with # 1. Early Sony ES players were very well built.

I don't know most of those units, but the Sony ES of that period were quite good and well built. I have the earlier Nak OMS-7 and it sounds unusually sweet, though I have heard the next model wasn't as nice. The Denon isn't bad either, though personally I don't think it sounds as good as the Sonys. The rest I haven't heard so can't comment.

No experience with any on the list, but even the non ES Sony CDP's I've had sound noticeably better than other brands of midfi CDPs I've tried. I'm guessing the ES series is even better.

Which older cd player(s) from the list below do you think sounds the best AND would go well with my Denon PMA-900V Integrated Amp and Mirage M-3si speakers?

1. Sony CDP-650ESD II
2. Sony CDP-507ESD
3. NAD 5100
4. DBX DX-5
5. California Audio Labs Icon MKII
6. California Audio Labs Icon MKII w/ Power Boss
7. Denon DCD-1500
8. Nakamichi OMS-7AII
9. Rotel RCD-971
10. Adcom GCD-575
11. Adcom GCD-750
12. Mission PCM-7000

Your top 2 are right on, move the Nakamichi and Rotel up to 3-4 and I would agree with the rest of them... perhaps flip the California's around with the PS mod... May want to add the Sony 508ESD/608ESD to the top of this list though ;), and the Rotel RCD-955/65AX right beneath all those Sony's.. Many of these were on my "short list" at one point as well and I know what you are looking for sound wise :) Denon made some nice players too, the best of which I know of is the DCD-3000 if you are looking for a dedicated CDP and it has a DAC... with modding it could be one of the best of all time. Happen to know a great modder too :)

Oh, and if you can find a NEC CD-730/830DS/810/816, they all rank in this category, perhaps slightly eclipsing all but the 508/608ESD. The X7ESD would easily eclipse all of these in stock form, but FAR more pricey. Good luck with your search and feel free to PM me if you'd like a further explanation.

Before buying any vintage CD player the most important thing to find out is whether the pickup is still available. Older players are reaching EOL for the pickup and most of the older pickups are no longer available. Check this website for the pickup used on each player then Google the pickup and see if anyone sells it other than E-bay.
http://www.26fun.com/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=206821

Your top 2 are right on, move the Nakamichi and Rotel up to 3-4 and I would agree with the rest of them... perhaps flip the California's around with the PS mod... May want to add the Sony 508ESD/608ESD to the top of this list though ;), and the Rotel RCD-955/65AX right beneath all those Sony's.. Many of these were on my "short list" at one point as well and I know what you are looking for sound wise :) Denon made some nice players too, the best of which I know of is the DCD-3000 if you are looking for a dedicated CDP and it has a DAC... with modding it could be one of the best of all time. Happen to know a great modder too :)
Agree on the 609ESD. Also add the Denon DCD 3300. I got one recently and it is very nice and the build is amazing. I have a DCD 1520 and the 3300 is head and shoulders better.

Before buying any vintage CD player the most important thing to find out is whether the pickup is still available. Older players are reaching EOL for the pickup and most of the older pickups are no longer available. Check this website for the pickup used on each player then Google the pickup and see if anyone sells it other than E-bay.
http://www.26fun.com/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=206821

GREAT advice here ! THanks for posting! :) My "vintage" CDP days are all but over, but good to know what's still "serviceable".

Agree on the 609ESD. Also add the Denon DCD 3300. I got one recently and it is very nice and the build is amazing. I have a DCD 1520 and the 3300 is head and shoulders better.

I've heard and know the DCD-3300 well, but prefer the 3000, probably because of the internal DAC feature and its ability to be modded... but yeah the DCD-3300 is great. You mean the 608ESD right!?

I've heard and know the DCD-3300 well, but prefer the 3000, probably because of the internal DAC feature and its ability to be modded... but yeah the DCD-3300 is great. You mean the 608ESD right!?
Yes, the 608 ESD. Did I type badly again? Still running mine in my main system, though I'd like to try an outboard DAC with it when funds permit. Fantastic transport in it and the controls are super. Mine has had some mods that took it up a long way including removing all of the various intermediate boards and replacing them with point to point wiring. Much sweeter sound and resolution as a result.

I'd have to take the Mission.

1) Philips CDM-2/10 swing-arm pickup - still one of the best, and the lasers last seemingly forever. Used working replacements can still be had (via donor machine) at not entirely unreasonable prices.

2) TDA1541S1 DAC - that's a single crown, folks - one of the all-time best.

I think the rest would not match that combination of sonics and durability.

John

Adcom GCD-575 used the corrosive glue on the pc board to support components for wave soldering. Could be ok if the glue never got into contact with any component leads. I wasn't that lucky.

The two Cal Audio Labs players mentioned are not Philips-based. According to the CD DAC list, they have this for transports & DAC's:

CD-PLAYER DAC TRANSPORT
California Audio Labs Icon 2 x PCM61P – SM5813AP SOAD70A
California Audio Labs Icon Mk II 2 x PCM1702 – PMD100 Panasonic RAE0113Z

Ok DAC's but not in the same league as the TDA1541 S1 and those transports will likely be difficult if not impossible to service if you need parts.

John

So which sounds better out of the 2 Sony's?

CDP-650ESDII -or CDP-507ESD

The CAL is gone, as is the PCM-7000. Anyone know if the original CAL Audio Icon (mk 1) is any good?

Last edited:
Here's what I suggest. Find a Sony CDP-XA1ES. You can buy them for under $100, and they sound great stock. Upgrade the opamps and they sound amazing. The laser is still available.

Back
Top Bottom