Best CD player used for under $400

ericburnley said:
I had a Toshiba 3950 related question.

Upon close listening, I find that one channel of the audio seems to have a bit of distortion in it. (...) I've even found it to be fairly unlistenable because of that channel.
Any ideas? Thanks!

yup. My 3950 started to have right channel distortion after about 10 months of use. Another AK member reported the same trouble with his. Mine was still under warranty (one whole year), and Toshiba replaced it with a 3980. They knew all about the problem... they had many similar complaints. That 3980 started having troubles loading discs, and they sent me another 3980 that I've used for about half a year now. Each replacement unit comes with its own 1 year warranty... we'll see if my current one survives a year of daily use. :thumbsdn:

They do sound awesome, but you get what you pay for.

I had a Rotel RCD-855 for years. A/B'ed with a Pioneer DV-563A and the Pioneer was much more musical and less harsh. Sold the Rotel on eBay but the buyer claimed what the transport was busted - he sent a pdf of the shop ticket saying it was unrepairable as parts not available - a local shop confirmed the prognosis.

I had only used one of the little red transport locks when I shipped it so I refunded him half the price.

I've since bought a new Sony SCD-CE595, a CD/SACD changer. I expected better of it although I usually listen to SACDs - so the Pioneer is still the better of the three units for CD and SACD.

The story line was supposed to be that Sony had the best DSD/analog converter chip since they invented both CD and SACD. Maybe so but the analog sound out on the CE595 is still wanting. Maybe it's just the output caps or op-amps? That would open the case for modding the $127 Sony bottom end SACD player.

i'll jump in with a comment on a tosh 3960 totally unmodded that suddenly developed audio distortion and breakup while playing cd's and dvd's. i've only used it for 10 months. i hope i can find the receipt.

Velocewest said:
Resurrecting this thread from last summer. Just had to post another Playstation mod, I love this.

nullserie_04.jpg

WOW! Who made that?

Add me to the list of unsatisfied Toshiba 3950 owners. My unit stopped working just after the 1 year warranty. I stear clear of Toshiba at all costs.

CDP's!!!

styler said:
pioneer elite pd-65, longest production run of any cd player, and for a good reason! :thmbsp:

I have an Elite PD-M95 Six Disc Changer. Very nice. I would also say Denon. I picked up a Denon DCM 777 over the weekend. Another awfully nice vintage changer. Denon DCM 560 Carousel. You can get all of these for less then $200. :music:

How about the Marantz CC4300 from Accessories4less.com for ~$150 shipped? I am waiting for mine to show up right now, I will let everyone know what it is like next weekend!

Colin

CDP's!!!

I think the Marantz CC4300 has a 3 Year Waranty as well. Looks like a lot of bang for the buck to me. I really don't think you will gain that much from $200-$400.

I've been using a Magnavox CDB460, that I bought brand new in the 80's.
This unit can track ANYTHING, very dynamic, with great bass.
When run through a 1978 Harmon Kardon 450 DC receiver, and a pair of 1977 Avid 100's.....sheer magic.....it took a long time to find a combo that hit ALL my buttons!!
Steve

I picked up a Marantz CD-5000 a while back and liked it so much I ended up picking up two more used ones on eBay. The new one cost $300. The used ones were about half that if I remember right. Haven't had any trouble with any of them.

Brand new Oppo dvd players seem to be the rage, and priced well under $200.

I have a brand new Tosh 3960 stuffed away in the "Magic Closet" that has only seen 10 minutes of use. Bought it when they were hot, made sure it worked okay, and packed it away for hard times.

Alright, well my "Factory Reconditioned" Marantz CC4300 camein today! It sounds and looks wonderful. I can't imagine there was much wrong with it before it shipped out, it seems to be brand new. I tested all functions and they all work wonderfully. I plugged it into my NAD 7000 Moniter Series amp and plugged in my Sennheiser HD580 headphones.

I tested it briefly this morning. Here are my impressions:

1. Sigur Ros- Takk

If you haven't listened to Icelandic Rock before, start with this group. The textures were well articulated and the music had a sense of depth and space. All of the guitar textures came through with no problem. The space was wide and deep.

2. Bob Dylan- Blonde On Blonde

Wonderful sound, again, the space was present. It was nice to hear the seperation of the instruments (this is one of the things I love about vinyl) and sense of space.

3. Yes- Close To The Edge (Rhino Remaster)

The wonderful sound quality of this remaster really shone through with this CD player. The bass lines, one of my favorite parts about Yes, came through with punch and authority. Everything just sounded right.

4. Joe Lovano- Rush Hour

The intertwining of the orchestra, all of the instruments, Lovano's sax lines, etc all sounded perfect to my ears.

I really enjoy listening to it. It is quiet while playing, has a nice clean look about it, and best of all it was only ~$150 shipped from www.accessories4less.com. It also appears to be quite durable and has a metal case. I would recommend this is an excellent budget player.

Back
Top Bottom