1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Best "Cheap" TV for a College Group House

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by KeninDC, Aug 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. KeninDC

KeninDC Speedfreak Jive Subscriber

Group house at WVU. 5 dudes. Aged 19-20. There will be the occasional house party. I'm buying (the TV, not the beer).

I'm in the market for a roughly 50 inch "smart" (do I need smart?) TV for my son's new housing situation. The TV will be shared by all in the living room. While I'm tempted to get the first thing I see at the local Walmart (or Amazon), I'm intimidated by all the no-name brands I see. While I generally eschew "zombie" brands like Zenith and RCA, perhaps I shouldn't. Further, there are all sorts of brands I've never heard of like TCL and Sceptre. And what about refurbished?

If any of you guys and gals have a cheap TV you can recommend, I'd appreciate your input.

Cheers,

Ken

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Harvestor

Harvestor Super Member

Head to Wal-Mart...
    You can get 65 inches cheap and Good!

KeninDC likes this.
  3. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

TCL is a highly rated ROKU budget value brand. Otherwise, Visio is also high value and has outlasted other competitors.

KeninDC likes this.
  4. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

I've done well with Vizio. Have four. 1 32", 2 43" and one 55" 4K. They come with your basic apps and serve me quite well.

KeninDC likes this.
  5. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

TCL Six Series has the best picture/$ (at retail at least) and is a Roku TV, which is one of the only decent smart TV OSes. Saves you the cost of the stick.

KeninDC and Pio1980 like this.
  6. KeninDC

Thanks, guys. I was looking at a Vizio, but have noticed they are no longer rock bottom when it comes to prices. Will have to explore the TCL. Price is a huge concern since there is a much better possibility of misuse/damage at the college level.

John James likes this.

7. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Does it have to be 4K? If not, start trolling CL. I picked up a 50 inch Panasonic plasma for $100. If you go this route, get 2010 or newer as this was when Panny took over the Pioneer Elite TV team.

KeninDC likes this.
  8. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

QFT!

I bought a 55" returned 4K TCL ROKU TV at work, Costco, for $299 and love it. Regular price was $369.99.

My daughter has a 49 incher and watching her's sold me. I also have a 10 year old 42" Vizio with a fine picture but a wacky tuner. The HDMI inputs are good, so any external source is nice and a Chromecast has it running fine.

I think either would serve you fine.

KeninDC likes this.
  9. elcoholic

elcoholic Jet Fuel Genius Subscriber

I get my TV’s at Costco and prefer Samsung. That said I don’t much care for Samsung’s Smart Hub GUI so I use Roku.

KeninDC likes this.
  10. donprice

donprice Wound up workin' at a gas station.... Subscriber

Check to see if the warranty covers smoke damage from burning couches :beerchug:

John James and KeninDC like this.
  11. KeninDC

It would not be a WVU thread without a couch burning mention. My wife, a WVU grad, actually participated in a couch burning ritual after they beat Penn State. Those were the days before the City of Morgantown made couch burning a felony.

Leaning toward the TCL for the boys. No need for 4K. I have a Panny plasma myself and two Samsungs. Agree the the Samsung GUI is frustrating.

12. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

1080p opens up a lot of inexpensive video game options for when they are not studying. Older gaming consoles are dirt cheap and still fun. You can connect an inexpensive streaming computer that will play 1080p 60 fps with the right video card. Add in a DVD and Blu Ray drive and you have a HTPC.

KeninDC likes this.
  13. Hajidub

Hajidub Chihuahua/Pug = Chug Subscriber

Ken, the new cheap reliable tv is HiSense (they sponsored the World Cup). Can get a 50 for under $500. Do you need the smart feature? Will these kids watch Netflix and Amazon on the tv or just play video games? You could always save the difference and buy an Amazon Firestick for $30.

KeninDC likes this.
  14. KeninDC

Smart feature. They all do Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. I'd rather them do that than hook up a laptop with an HDMI cable. Keep it simple and not have them worry about a laptop walking away during a football watching party.

the skipper likes this.
  15. winters860

winters860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Every Smart TV will do Netflix and Youtube. See if there's any "killer apps" that the guys would like the TV to support natively (like Plex, Kodi, Spotify, etc.).

Of course, the likelihood of another networked device being plugged in approaches 100%, so...

KeninDC likes this.
  16. c.coyle

c.coyle All solid state except for the tubes Subscriber

Yup. TCL before the tariffs hit. Great value.

KeninDC likes this.

17. pappylon

pappylon Active Member

18. squirrelnest

squirrelnest Addicted Member

Make sure you drape chicken wire in front of the TV....keeps beer bottles & cans away from the screen!:):rflmao::naughty:

elcoholic likes this.
  19. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Addicted Member

I’d be looking for something indestructible......an old 32” Sylvania !!!

KeninDC likes this.
  20. KeninDC

[​IMG]