Best "Cheap" TV for a College Group House

Buy anything cheap, but recent off of CL (actually two or three--you'll probably need back-ups--I have partied at WVU). Either that, or just hit up Wally World and see what they have on clearance.

Long-time Vizio fan here--I know they are not the "ultimate" TVs, but when everyone started transitioning away from CRT to flat screens, I watched which TVs lasted the best in some of the sports bars that I semi-frequent. Those TVs are on at least 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, in a less than ideal environment, and the Vizios were the only ones that didn't drop like flies after 6 months to a year of abuse.

Thanks for all the input.

I visited Wally World today, fully expecting to leave with a 43" TCL. I ended up leaving with a 43" Vizio 1080p LED TV w/ "Smartconnect." Cost was $278. Cool feature was using Smartconnect to use your smartphone as a remote and for streaming.

Cheap isn't always the best answer. You might want to check out Costco, too. Best Buy is having close outs on last years models right now. Make sure you know what features you want. Unless you are using sound systems, all the sets really lack in the sound department, so you better plan on buying sound bars. And here again you need to decide what features and capabilities you need. One thing to consider is the viewing angle, Most LED sets have very poor off axis picture display characteristics. So Before you plop down your cash if there are going to be a bunch of people viewing the picture off axis, be prepared to shop around. Of course Plasmas and OLED are the best, but Plasmas are no more and OLED costs are rather stiff. Newer sets and better sets have brighter pictures, blacker back grounds and higher contrast, all very important in day time viewing or where there is a lot of ambient light from room lighting at night..

Back
Top Bottom