Best Clock Radio

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
dewickt said:
Eico HFT90
Eico HF12
Zenith timer
Goodmans 12" in HB box

I had one of those Eico tuners in the early 70's with a multiplex adaptor, Great sounding tuner! :thmbsp:

BTW I have a Zenith Model K472W in my church office sounds OK

Attachments

• zenk472w.jpg
    zenk472w.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 52
I just got a Sangean WR-2, and absolutely love it. Mine has the walnut finish case and is really attractive. The sound is also warm and rich with plenty of bass. This is really a new model but there is plenty of info on the web. These retail for around $160.00 but can usually be had for around $140.00.

Attachments

• WR-2-Wal-web.jpg
    WR-2-Wal-web.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I just wish they'd figger out how to make one of th' damthings that would reset itself when the electricity goes out...Don't tell me it can't be done-WWV sends out a 60 cycle signal thruout the national grid. I hate to walk in & see 'em flashing "12:00" at you like a mad idiot, & then I invariably screw it up somehow when trying to reset it...-Sandy G.

Sandy G said:
I just wish they'd figger out how to make one of th' damthings that would reset itself when the electricity goes out...Don't tell me it can't be done-WWV sends out a 60 cycle signal thruout the national grid. I hate to walk in & see 'em flashing "12:00" at you like a mad idiot, & then I invariably screw it up somehow when trying to reset it...-Sandy G.

I have one - made by Emerson Research. I've never once set the dang thing. Out of the box, plug it in, it sets itself, that's it. Pretty cool. - Mark

battery backup?

Sandy G said:
My $15 Sony has one of those and a 9v alkaline is good for a few hours down time.

Zenith R733

Zenith-AMFM-Clock-Radio-Bla.jpg

Sony Dream Machine EZ series

blackwax said:
what's the best clock radio? vintage, modern? post pics when possible....

The best clock radios I believe are the ones that are quick to set the wake-up time. Most mechanical ones require turning a hand and approximating the selected time. Most digital ones require pushing a button and waiting for the fast-forwarding time to be selected. Either method seems tedious to me.

That is why I prefer and use the Sony Dream Machine EZ series, from the 70's/80's. I have the EZ-2, EZ-4 and the EZ-7 models. Each of them has 2 front dials, one for the hour, and one for the minute. All you have to do to set the alarm time is rotate each dial to the hour and minute you want. Quick and easy ... like an alarm clock for dummies! It also has an AM/FM radio, and battery backup. Sony EZ-7 and EZ-2 are shown in the pics.

Attachments

• sony_ez-7.jpg
    sony_ez-7.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 97
  • Sony EZ-2.JPG
    Sony EZ-2.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I like maxm's Zenith. My '50s vintage Zenith AM clock radio sits on top of my fridge and is used practically every morning as I eat breakfast just before going to work. After my dad restored this classic several years ago, I've never had a single problem with it; not only does it keep excellent time, but it's about the only vintage tube radio I own that locks its stations dead-on and hardly ever fades out, requiring constant retuning like so many of my other radios.

It's a keeper for sure! :thmbsp:

Attachments

• P5231382a.jpg
    P5231382a.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 57
zenith circle of sound clock radio

available used for about $50 the digital versions of these (with insides by LG but designed by zenith) are as good sounding as any clock radio I've ever heard.

Wake up little camper!!!

A Proton 320 alarm clock. The radio sound so nice and dials a station in well with FM tuner circuitry designed by Larry Shotz. Bought it in 1982 and its still in service today. I guess I got my money out of that one.

Happy Listening! :thmbsp:

My nightstand is a Mahogany Zenith 12H090 AM-FM console that's hooked up to a Telechron alarm clock that has an AC outlet in the back. Getting woke up by a radio using push-pull 6V6's is about as good as you can do. However, I retired 2 weeks ago and I've only had to use the alarm once since then, that's even better.:D

I have an old Australian Transistor Company timer switch. It was originally intended to switch on a VCR back before they had built in clocks. I used to use it to switch on my main system at the time, but I found I kept going back to sleep listening to the radio.

So then I hooked the timer switch up to a cheap boom box tuned to a station I hated and turned all the way up. The distorted sound of a morning DJ I can't stand got me up most of the time, but it got me up in a bad mood.

I've since replaced the cheap boom box with a car alarm siren. It's less annoying than the bad morning DJ, but I can still sleep through it sometimes.

Sony

I like the Sony Dream Machine a lot, bought mine used at GW for $10 or so.
Big green numbers, easy to set up.

Two things I don't care for, 1. it's louder than hell! 2. the Snooze cycle is only 7 minutes.

I hate to admit but we own a Bose Wave Radio CD - it's a one note POS. The only good thing about it is that with the OBAM it'll fetch nearly what we paid for it on eBay. We plan to use the proceeds to puchase a Tivoli Audio Music System.

Martin

If the Tivoli alarm clock uses the same oddball "loudness" curve that Mr. Kloss built into the Tivoli Model One, then I would vote for it.

My Model One baffles me. I can pick apart the unnatural sound of the neat little box in a bunch of negative ways, but when I just listen to it at conversational levels I catch myself admiring little details that I could never hear on my other small radios. It sounds so wrong but also sounds so right.

Plus, the way it looks just pushes the right buttons for me.

I was going to buy one of those Bose radios, but the do not sound as good at lower levels as the Tivoli. Cranked up they do beat it, but who listens to a table radio/clock radio cranked up?

These are the best clock radios I have ever used.Not the best musicly all though after a upgrade cap replacement in the power supply the Sangean 818 sounds pretty good for a clock radio.It has been all over the world and never let me down and long wave and SW proved useful to me in the middle east.

The Zenith wake up minder is cool to because you can record on it and wake up to what ever you want mine has a very loud rooster right now but the Sangein is my favorite due to baterys last almost 300 hours at mid volume and the back up batterys useing lithum will keep it programed for 6 years!
It has been the most reliable radio ever and has been bounced around in a conroled crash.Thanks Pakistan International for the scary landing and brining me closer to God! So I love my Sangean 818 best.:yes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom