Best Clock Radio

Best Clock Radio

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The KLH 200 Clock Radio

Made by Kyocera in Japan.

Real wood case and separate speaker.

I consider this that "last great audio piece" of the famous KLH brand. Henry Kloss has nothing to do with the design but it is certainly related to the great KLH 21 clock radio of the 1960s and 1970s.

My unit was purchased new in 1996. It has been in daily operation, 2 to 3 hours per day, for 14 years! :thmbsp:

It is connected to a roof aerial and delivers a clear signal from stations 50 miles away.

Attachments

• klh200_4.jpg
    klh200_4.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 73
Although Telefunken is highly regarded for their tubes and Hi-Fi equipment, I can't say that this particular clock radio is "the best". It's certainly a curiosity. Anybody ever seen their clock radios?

Telefunken_EC-1000-front.gif

Last edited:
I have one of these in my basement: Panasonic RC-7538 that my Dad picked up for free from work a few years ago. I'd use it if it didn't make this God-awful "CLACK!" when the radio switches on automatically... so I use a cheapo Sony instead.

Made by Kyocera in Japan.

Real wood case and separate speaker.

I consider this that "last great audio piece" of the famous KLH brand. Henry Kloss has nothing to do with the design but it is certainly related to the great KLH 21 clock radio of the 1960s and 1970s.
That KLH 200 is a beautiful unit. I like it more than the comparable Tivoli models (excluding the new "audio music system" all digital model) because of the digital tuning, so you can have a variety of presets.

The Logitech Squeezebox is impressive, to say the least. On Amazon, an experienced audio hobbyist remarked his preference for it over his TOTL CD player (compared to listening to FLAC file format music on the SB). The one major drawback to the design is that it relies upon a wireless connection for streaming music--nothing can be attached directly it, not even a memory card or USB drive. Although it will stream music directly from websites like Pandora, apparently the clock function is run off the PC. So, if your computer is off, you can forget about using the SB as an alarm clock. The new "Squeezebox Touch" does have support for USB, which is very smart. And they've expanded on the whole offering with the Duet, which sports an intelligent remote with very usable LCD screen.

As for "Best", it's a little ambiguous. Best sound or best functionality? I think each have their own place. In my mind, you can have a small table top system to listen to, when not in your "main audio" room, and then have a separate alarm clock radio to get you up in the morning. The key is being able to wake you reliably and in a civilized way, while also presenting the time in a suitably readable form (bright enough during the day and dim enough at night). And of course, an independent battery source alarm is a good thing to have (most cellphones can serve this purpose).

GE made some truly excellent clock radios back in the 1980's, very solid and strong performers. Sound quality is usually decent. The 7-4885 is quite cool in having a numerical keypad for direct time entry and tuning, but unfortunately the buttons are known to develop problems over time (maybe there's a way to lube them to minimize wear). I've got the 7-4800A which has that numerical keypad, but the tuning is analog. The great thing is that time and alarm entry is super quick. It also has dual alarms, so one is something you leave set for weekdays and other for weekends/ad-hoc. It incorporates "grad-u-wake", which slowly raises the volume until you turn it off. And the easy to read green LED has a rheostat control for infinitely variable setting. Impossible to find a clock radio with these features today, because of all the cost cutting and emphasis on other things (like an iPod dock).

I ended up buying a used Proton 320 for general radio listening (wish it had an AUX-IN though) and as a secondary backup alarm (it has a 9V slot to handle power interruptions). A great buy for about $30 used in very good shape, considering the sound quality (the only real flaw is the dial tuning back light is out).

My cellphone also serves as another alarm, which has the wonderful dynamic capability of playing any MP3 loaded onto it. I've made a few MP3's specifically for that, which start out low and gradually get louder. The great thing is that you can also set more than one (select a low volume MP3 for the first, then a louder one for the second), and even tie an alarm sound file to a calendar entry. I also have the intro to Pink Floyd's "Time" loaded for when I really need to get up. ;) Click "here" to download it.

Last edited:
:wtf:What is it with today's Emerson? I just bought a second Emerson because it looked cool...kind of a retro thing, but the clock on this one also loses two minutes a week like the Emerson cube!:wtf:

I seem to be a collector of better than average clock radios.

I have a Boston Acoustics Solo which I like but took like a year before I was comfortable with and is currently used to listen to mono talk radio like Car Talk or as background music.

Also there's a Proton 320 which is our primary clock radio. The only drawback is that the 9V back up battery feature that no longer works. Then there is my current favorite, a GE 4970A from the 80's which has detachable speakers and 3 band EQ. I threw away the plastic junk speakers and substituted a couple of Minimus 7W placed on either side of my spare bed. It sounds heavenly especially listening to the local classical station, admittedly not the ultimate in high fidelity, but there's something about lying relaxed in bed with a stereo image floating above you.:thmbsp:

How can you beat a Bose Wave radio? Super quality sound even at low volumes, great reception, good sized display. Cost as much as ten other radios though.

I think the Bose is nice but not significantly better or worse than its competitors. I have the Cambridge Soundworks table radio and it's as good as the Bose, within range of personal preference.

Other: my kids. Expensive, but will reliably wake us at 6:30 AM every morning (whether we want to wake up or not). Unfortunately, their snooze buttons no longer operate.

The Logitech Squeezebox is impressive, to say the least. On Amazon, an experienced audio hobbyist remarked his preference for it over his TOTL CD player (compared to listening to FLAC file format music on the SB). The one major drawback to the design is that it relies upon a wireless connection for streaming music--nothing can be attached directly it, not even a memory card or USB drive. Although it will stream music directly from websites like Pandora, apparently the clock function is run off the PC. So, if your computer is off, you can forget about using the SB as an alarm clock. The new "Squeezebox Touch" does have support for USB, which is very smart. And they've expanded on the whole offering with the Duet, which sports an intelligent remote with very usable LCD screen.

Interesting response but there are a few technical errors:

myu701 said:
"The one major drawback to the design is that it relies upon a wireless connection for streaming music--nothing can be attached directly it, not even a memory card or USB drive."
Not true, a cat-5/6 cable can be plugged directly into the Boom if your wireless network is not up to snuff.

myu701 said:
"Although it will stream music directly from websites like Pandora, apparently the clock function is run off the PC. So, if your computer is off, you can forget about using the SB as an alarm clock."
That's incorrect; as long as your wireless or wired network is connected to the internet you can stream music and save presets on Logitech's web server called mysqueezebox.com. In fact the Boom may be used as an internet radio without any computer/server running. Programming the alarm for a internet radio station will allow the Boom to wake you to music just like a clock radio.

If you have a computer server you can set it up to wake on land; the boom will send a magic packet to wake up the server and begin streaming the music or play list you selected in the alarm setup.

My server is configured to go to sleep after five minutes of non-use and will wake up and stream music when commanded by a squeezebox device in 10 seconds or less. If all else fails the Boom has a backup alarm that is good for one alarm.

Bottom line is it makes a great clock radio or bedroom music system, and has functionality that is unmatched.

And the follow-on model, which I purchased in 1984 and still have, is the GE Small Wonder.

What is the model# of that GE clock radio? I used to have this model up until an electrical surge killed it 15 years ago and I've been trying like hell looking for this model ever since. It was the only clock radio that could ever wake me up in the mornings with it's unique "GE" branded buzzer.

Attachments

• EM-CKD3630.jpg
    EM-CKD3630.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 2071459_s1_i1.jpg
    2071459_s1_i1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 5
I'm a big fan of the BOSE Wave Radio CD/Wave Radio with their excellent looks and sound.The Wave Radio CD on top has the optional BOSE DAB unit connected,which is just great.Also own the optional BOSE Wave Radio CD luxury remote control,which is a lot nicer (it lights up in the dark with a press of a button) than the tiny supplied credit card ones,and a BOSE Wave Radio CD carry bag,but that's in the wardrobe.
The BOSE Wave Radio CD pictured in the middle is the older type model with push up CD lid,it also features buttons that were absent from the newer model.
Also have some Sony clock radios dating back from the late 80's,early 90's,which are still going strong to this day.

paulb001-50_zps4a343855.jpg
[/IMG]
paulb002-38_zps697acb78.jpg
[/IMG]
paulb003-35_zps17570511.jpg
[/IMG]

I like the 1953 Telefunken "Jubilate Uhr" pretty much. I just purchased one and I will receive it in the next days.

Oh the topic is "best clock radio", sorry... the Jubilate is anything else than that but it looks so nice...perhaps I post a picture then...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom