Best/Coolest Looking Tuners

Gorgeous but the in the top picture the knobs for some reason remind me of the lighted pull levers in old cigarette vending machines. VERY retro!:thmbsp:

I've posted this pic of the HK tuner I had many times, so here is my nomination. It just takes me back to the days of when I owned a few earlier model cars with their "in your face" dashboard lights.

Gallery.jpg

08040023.jpg

Crown FM-1

Not even a mention of this great tuner. One of the best ever. Designed for relay station use but made cheap enough for consumer. Not really cheap though. I paid over $1000 in 1980.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 144
Not even a mention of this great tuner. One of the best ever. Designed for relay station use but made cheap enough for consumer. Not really cheap though. I paid over $1000 in 1980.

Paul

Cool! Never heard of that one. Do you have any specs or information on it?

Crown FM-1

Cool! Never heard of that one. Do you have any specs or information on it?

Just imagine the finest specs ever.
Sensitivity: 10.8db IHF
Quieting: .6 microvolt
S/N ratio: 70db below for mono, 65db below standard stereo modulation.
Hum & Noise: 65db below 100% modulation.
Total Harmonic Distortion: At 1000 hz 65db 100% modulation: .1 mono, .09 stereo
Alt Channel Sel.: 75 db
Frequency response: +-.5, 30hz to 15 Khz.
Stereo Separation: 45db @ 1 khz., 35db @ 10Khz.
Image response: Greater than 114db.
Variable & Fixed outputs.
Multipath output -pin jack
Composite output- pin jack
Memory presets are stored in a bubble memory ROM used for guided missile circuitry.
And a lot more specs that would take a long time to type.

Paul

actually that's one that I think I (still) prefer in black - cool to see one in silver, though. I've never seena silver one in the... umm... flesh.

I finally tracked down an L-80V and it came with the matching tuner. I think they look pretty cool. Sorry for the crappy pics and pre cleaned at that.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks Mark speaking of tuners how did that Eico turn out?

Time for Marky to be sheepish :p It looks really nice on a shelf; haven't had the gumption to fire it up yet. Let's see if I can rectify that (pun somewhat intended) this weekend! :)

It is a beautiful little tuner; just beautiful - thanks again!

I've always been partial to the looks of the Sansui TU-X1, TU-919, TU-717.

SansuiTU-X1.jpg

13.jpg

TU-717.jpg

Also, many of the Magnum Dynalab tuners look great.

1327000103_0.jpg

900x900px-LL-b0a63072_MagnumDynanlabFT101-A.JPG

These KARG "TuneMatic" tuners won't win any beauty contest but could compete in the strangest and most unusual section. These mono (tube) tuners are from the late 50ies and have a selectable crystal fixed tuning front-end. There is no continuous tuning but a different crystal was switched in the local oscillator for each local broadcast station to be received. Advantages were (then) ease of tuning,crystal accuracy (low drift), and the ability to preset channels for direct selection. The upper tuner is even fitted with a (wired) remote option: the front-end crystal switch is motorized and by pusing a button you can scan through all the (preset) channels.
Did I say unusual ?
Stay tuned, more "strange" tuners from my collection coming soon...

Attachments

• KargMatic.1.jpg
    KargMatic.1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 78
I have a sansui t-80 with analog and digital readout i like alot batts are dead in digital camera though. a pic someday.

Nice design elements on some Magnum Dynalab tuners

One think I liked on some older MD units was the full-size multipath meter. I see one of their newest tuners is taking advantage of current display technology and also providing really big meters, but alas without a multipath display. I don't know whether it does RDS but it should!

Some recent tuners use "magic eye" tuning indicators which is IMHO a step backwards; little round magic eyes are even worse, though obviously some folks like their looks.

Attachments

• fmtuner-md109-large - Copy.jpg
    fmtuner-md109-large - Copy.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 68
  • fmtuner-md90-large - Copy.jpg
    fmtuner-md90-large - Copy.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom