Best/Coolest Looking Tuners

A really pretty KLH Model Eighteen always puts a smile on my face. The first "good" tuner I bought, 1967.

I love the look of my recent acquisition, Kenwood KT-615.

s-l1600.jpg

These Kenwood tuners are superb. Good looking, fantastic reception. The only weak point: the pushbuttons. Often the plastic inside will be damaged over the years and then - from one day to the other - the buttons do not click into place. I have three 615 and one 815 having this. So I have to make two out of four tuners.

One of my most beautiful tuners, Luxman WL 550.
Veneered her a few years ago - exactly according to old leaflets. Its 120-year old french walnut. Because of divorce I have to sell now the biggest part of my collection. As the Lux...

I like any analog tune with a wide, very linear dial. A lot of 1970's Japanese were very good. The Marantz 10B and Mac MR78 were great. Models such as the Mac MR71 were
packed at the low end and extremely spread out at the high end to the extent that a 105 and 107 were added to make the dial "look" normal.

The Pioneer TX-940 looks pretty good when modified to have a blue display, to match other vintage fluoroscan gear.

tx940-1.jpg tx940-3.jpg

I also kinda like the TX-710 and TX-720. Not my favorite style of tall buttons, but looks good to me. Matches the DT-500 and DT-510 timer and the RG-2 expander at least.

maxresdefault.jpg

But my favorite by far is the TX-D1000. That's how a tuner is supposed to look (to me). (I really do love the blue fluoroscan)

pioneer_tx-d1000_am-fm_stereo_tuner.jpg

I modified the TX-940 because I wanted a nice low-profile tuner that got good reception and matched my RT-909 and CT-F950, and the TX-D1000 is very difficult to find on eBay. When it's there, it sells for reasonable prices, but they don't come up that often.

I also found the TX-940 is a really GOOD tuner. It gets great reception. It has far better reception than the TX-950, the TX-720, my Toshiba ST-335 (which is no slouch, actually), my Phase Linear 5100, or my Kenwood KR4070 receiver. I'm hoping a little fiddling with the TX-720 will get some better reception though, I have a service manual in the mail...

Charles.

The ultimate BPC tuner- Onkyo T-9090 II. Ergonomics aren't so much (what's the deal with no tuning knob?), but the
sheer number of controls, not to mention its performance, make it a thing of beauty to me :)

9090-lt.jpg

9090-center.jpg

9090-rt.jpg

If you like the military look and a very good tuner for it's intended use - Collins R390A
Spent many a mid-watch listening to the Armed Forces Network on one of these. There were close to 100 of these in the building where I worked.
View attachment 760062

I spent my nights in the Navy tuning in world music on a 390 before there was world music. love that beast and it is on my short list.

While it's my first/only tuner so far (18 year old college freshman here) I think my Sanyo JCX2400K (late '70s) is pretty neat looking. Immaculate woodgrain cabinet and stainless/chrome front restored by the previous owner, dial lamps replaced and everything. There's something about those stainless fronts and incandescent lit analog dials and the "dancing to the music" signal strength meter on a slightly weak station that modern units just lack!

I loved the small size and looks of this Sony Tuner. Bought one off of E-bay. Its performance was sub-par and I soon got rid of it.

Attachments

• sony tuner.jpg
    sony tuner.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 41
Back
Top Bottom