Best/Coolest Looking Tuners

Is there a prettier face in audio than a well-designed analog tuner? This thread includes many beauts.

I whole-heartily agree after enjoying all 18 pages of this post. So many cool Mac, Sansui and Marantz classics. I like best the Kenwood 600t (love the meters) and Accuphase T100/101.

post-10-1149222175.jpg

Not mine but a neat design! Thanks to mhardy6647 for bringing this to my attention.

Slightly OT, but...
I wanted one of those KLHs really bad, but found one of these modern spin-offs instead.
Very happy with it...not crazy about the clear case, but, it was 'cheap', and the FM tuner pulls in an amazing # of stations around here!
Tivoli PAL BT.jpg

long ago, i had a philips ah6731; its performance was stellar. but i couldn't cotton to its looks. a while back, i took a chance on an ah673 on ebay, its silver cousin. it was advertized as untested, as it didn't have a power cord. well, a ridiculously low snipe was high enough to have it headed my way; i need another tuna like i need another hole in my head!?! with a mondo lab grade power cord, salvaged from a demolition project at the nih years ago, it turns out it works just fine; all it needed was a few twists on a varistor to activate its signal strength meter; everything else was perfect. while i still think the sansui tu9900 is about the top of the heap for tuner elegance, the ah673 in silver, as opposed to the black ah6731, isn't too shabby. (the lid was off, as i'd just adjusted the varistor.)
upload_2020-8-19_0-32-17.png

now, a really cool looker, for a modern unit, imo, (the md109 doesn't do it for me, especially when it's on), is the burmester concerto. no, i don't have one,
upload_2020-8-19_0-53-34.png
upload_2020-8-19_0-53-52.png

doug s.

Should add in this RadioX modded Rotel RHT-10. Great titanium looks with a red display. Bests the Yamaha 7000 here by a bit, Mike really turned this one out. Extremely quiet and stable. The SQ and quiet shares a lot with my old Kenwood L-02T.
BCFDB99A-DCE1-4682-AE4F-CEB7DEBFEF4E.jpeg

ah yes, the rotel rht-10. i have one, modded and refurb'd by one of the founders of the fmtunerinfo site, and it might just be my best tuner. sonically, i haven't a-b'd it directly w/my other top tuna, but it's definitely "as good as" any, if not better. and reception-wise, it's bettered only by my xdr-guy modded sony xdr f1hd, which is mediocre-sounding at best. appearance-wise, i think the rht-10 is decent, but far from what i'd consider one of the best/coolest looking...

ymmv,
doug s.

Should add in this RadioX modded Rotel RHT-10. Great titanium looks with a red display. Bests the Yamaha 7000 here by a bit, Mike really turned this one out. Extremely quiet and stable. The SQ and quiet shares a lot with my old Kenwood L-02T.
View attachment 1966220

ah yes, the rotel rht-10. i have one, modded and refurb'd by one of the founders of the fmtunerinfo site, and it might just be my best tuner. sonically, i haven't a-b'd it directly w/my other top tuna, but it's definitely "as good as" any, if not better. and reception-wise, it's bettered only by my xdr-guy modded sony xdr f1hd, which is mediocre-sounding at best. appearance-wise, i think the rht-10 is decent, but far from what i'd consider one of the best/coolest looking...

ymmv,
doug s.
I like the red sideburns to the red display. The titanium finish is quite nice. The bevel on the display lens top is a nice small touch too. Rotel Michi gear is understated, I liked that. Clean.

Last edited:
My tech just finished a thorough overhaul of my latest acquisition, a McIntosh MR65B. It required several NOS tubes, work on a frozen volume control shaft, a complete alignment, adjustment of the meters, and more. He believes, based on serial numbers, this was the second MR65B off the assembly line. It sounds excellent and looks pretty good for being 58-years old.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpeg
    IMG_0076.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom