best/$ current cd player w/tubes

Modlin

Hello,
What would you recommend as cd player (current) w/tube/tubes?...to get a whim of the 'tube sound'. I have an excellent amp+preamp combo, so not interested going tube and replacing those.....
Thanks

Astin Trew AT 3500+, although it is a few years old design, but my current CDP. Love it!

How do you know it's got a tube in there?

Well, I have one and did tube rolling already! The tube is a double triode ECC88.

at3500_inside.jpg

https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/at3500_e.html

I have a Yaqin SD-32A (old model) now it's SD-35A , and it sounds good, it sounded good from the start but I slightly upgraded it, replacing capacitors.

Glad it use 6SN7 tubes, good preamp tubes.

But I use my Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 much, (out of production but modified too) since all my music have been ripped on my computer, uses one 6DJ8.

Last edited:
I've had my Jolida Fusion DAC Transport for close to a year.
After a Jolida level 1 cap upgrade and changing the 6 tubes to Genalex Gold Lions, it comes very close if not equals the sound of my vinyl setup.
2 - 12AX7, 2 - 12AT7 & 2 - 12AU7 No opamps in the codec.

Last edited:
+1 on the CAL units. A little long in the tooth now but are very pleasing to the ear.

I originated a mod, adding an X-10D tube buffer clone inside Onkyo C-7030 CDP's. I built a few, maybe six or seven. Sound great. Vintage Amperex 6DJ8's are my favorite tubes.
61rFwimnfEL._SL256_.jpg

I once had this nice top loader which featured a pair of 12ax7 tubes and while it sounded excellent the tubes were more for show than anything else.

If you want the coveted tube sound an amp or pre is the only way to go.

990716-pacific-valve-mhzs-66-tube-cd-player.jpg

You might also consider either a Dac or buffer that uses a tube or two. I use a MHDT dac that has a tube buffer. Very happy with the result. The dac uses a TDA1541 chip set while my cdp uses a PCM1704 chip set. I can experiment with different (but somewhat minor) sound signatures.

If you are trying to get a more “analog” sound I would at least evaluate non-oversampling, R2R DACs.

I originated a mod, adding an X-10D tube buffer clone inside Onkyo C-7030 CDP's. I built a few, maybe six or seven. Sound great. Vintage Amperex 6DJ8's are my favorite tubes.
61rFwimnfEL._SL256_.jpg
Uh wow! That's an impressive feat! I saw links on adding a tube buffer stage to a CD player but for most of us a tube buffer, is a lot simpler. But yeah ... impressive feat, for those that can! :)

The innards of my Yaqin SD-32A before I upgrade it with Mundorf, Black Gate, Elna, F&T, Kendeil, Orange Drops and Sanyo OS-CON.

Bottom.JPG Power Supply.JPG

Last edited:
I have one opamp per channel, and the tubes.
Are they used as the first stage with the OP amps doing the final amplification? I would think they would be used at the end as a buffer, but I've never looked into decks using tubes.

Back
Top Bottom