Best DAC/Setup for Tidal Streaming

I think there are doubts that Tidal can survive let alone compete with Spotify and Apple Music. There subscriber numbers are not good. There are rumblings that Apple will soon offer a lossless tier and that would most certainly spur Spotify to do the same.

As of today ... Tidal is the only streaming service that seems to care about audio sound quality ... Apple Music didn't even bother to raise their bit rate to the standard 320k.

Apple's interest in high rez seem to revolve (at this point) around the Lightning Port

In addition, rumors have been flying that Apple plans to ditch its standard 3.5mm headphone jack altogether and use the Lightning port exclusively for audio output. The idea is partly that that would save space on future iPhones, and partly because doing so would give Apple’s phones a competitive advantage by offering only high-quality audio.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3054902/...eaming-via-iphones-lightning-port?partner=rss

Last edited:
I think there are doubts that Tidal can survive let alone compete with Spotify and Apple Music. There subscriber numbers are not good. There are rumblings that Apple will soon offer a lossless tier and that would most certainly spur Spotify to do the same.

I'm also not 100% sure this is even a competition. While there is no doubt some level of competition here, I really don't think this has to be some Highlander "there can be only one" scenerio. Tidal IMO is catering to a more niche market, and therefor is going to have more niche numbers appropriately. If they are making money, there is no reason they will be going anywhere.

There is plenty of momentum in the audiophile world behind tidal. MQA is just one exciting prospect. More brands are offering integration in coming months, third party apps like Amarra are catering to tidal users. I don't think the future is all that bleak.

Plus, Spoitify has been around since 2006, Apple has more money than God... Of course Tidal is going to lag behind. They have only been around since October of 2014. Give them some time. I think they'll be fine.

- Woody

Heads up to anyone (like me) using Amarra for Tidal. I just checked and you can now download the Amarra for Tidal remote for iOS from the App Store. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but the video that Sonic Studio posted looks good! I'll try it tomorrow. It's way way past my bedtime.

Below are all the links you need.

- Woody

Video >
App Store Link > Amarra Remote by Sonic Studio https://appsto.re/us/aC8p_.i
Amarra for Tidal > http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/aft

I got so frustrated with Spotify Premium I canceled it and am sticking with Tidal. Spot Premium still has a ton of music that sounds like crap (to me). AL

As much as I've love Tidal. The more I use it, the more I realize not all tracks are CD quality. It's very easy to hear the difference between a song from the albumn, and an album mix. The less popular stuff doesn't sound as good either.

But when I first started using Tidal on trial, I still had a month of spotify premium left. I uninstalled spotify on all my devices and prepaid 6 months of Tidal. I would never willingly go back. Even with Tidal's UI quirks, and the fact it's missing a few features.

Back
Top Bottom