Best entry level audiophile headphones under $100?

New or used? Try to find a pair of used STAX electrostatic phones on the Bay. I have seen a bunch sell for close to your figure. They come with the electret adapter. Watch out for them- they are my favorite.

There is a pair of Senn 595 for sale in Barter Town. I've never heard them but have heard good things about them.

In addition to the fine suggestions so far:

Sony MDR 7506 : tracking, recording, isolating
Audio Technica ATH-M40FS : tracking, recording, isolating
Audio Technica ATH-M50 : tracking, recording, listening at home, isolating (near $100)
Sennheiser HD-448 : listening at home, not so isolating
Koss Porta Pro : on the go, listening at home (casual), you hear outside stuff

Depends on what your use , musical preference, need for comfort... tell us what your ideal headphone would have for features... :)

grado sr60 or sr60i :yes:

Agree on the Grado's. Also consider the SR80 or SR80i models at just about $100. Biggest difference is ear pad design giving you a little more bass than the SR60 line with (IMO) a little loss in comfort. The pads are interchangeable. Hard to beat the Grado's with anything under $200.

this begs the question, is there really anything truly "audiophile" that can be found < $100?

IMO you need to be spending at least above $500 to get out of the "hi-fi" world and even enter what audiophile gear is

but below 100 I say grado SR 60's for open back,
Sony MDR v-6 for closed back

Last edited:
Maybe a tattoo is in order as well.

I'll tell you what - If I saw someone - anyone - cruising around with V6's I'd think they were exposed to pro audio or durable, good sounding equipment is important to them. If I saw someone sporting a set of Grado 60s, I'd consider them to have good taste with an eye toward fashion and good sound.

I'd consider both to be audiophile material because both are an effort to move above the run-of-the-mill, with the aim being better sound.

The question is not begged.

I really enjoy my Sennheiser HD203's. heck they are only $60 at that. But I do agree there really isn't very many Audiophile headphones for under $100. Not everybody has the same taste though, the best way to find out what you like is to listen to them for yourself. I am sure you can find listening stations for most of the headphones mentioned, you just have to look. or even better see if anybody has a set and listen to theres.

thanks for all your guy's help I did some research on the models suggested and decided to go with the Audio Technica ATH-AD700's

Back
Top Bottom