Best-est for the least-est...which is THE best power amp for the money?

SixCats!

Hi all,

If...if I replace my H/K 730 receiver due to failing left channel, I have a P.S. Audio IV H r peramp that is just sitting in the closet but no amp. Can anyone recommend a good but INEXPENSIVE
amp to go with the P.S. Audio? Power per channel doesn't have to be more than 50 watts as this is a Bedroom system.
Thanks for any suggestions. SixCats!

Hiya, Six!! Long time, bud.
I'd suggest taking a look at the Kenwood Basic M-1 amps. There were a few iterations, but the Basic series were primo gear.
I have not looked recently, but they were often overlooked and underpriced (by my thinkin') on eBay.
Heck, I have a lovely Onkyo 105 wpc amp I'm not using.

pete

Who was it Don. I dont know that name.

Dave

Hi guys,

THOR...you Knuckle Head...LOL, now that was funny!

Man...that Mit. amp looks REAL serious!

Bully, thanks for the info on the Kenwood Basic M1's
I do remember them. SixCats!

'Twas me............first post here, so hello to all. I've been tagging along for a while, as I caught you guys just as you were leaving AU. I was hesitant to participate at all when I witnessed the way Thatch got mobbed, but that seems to have been a minor ripple.

I have a friend who owned one of these Mitsu amps years ago. He spent loads of cash on gear, and compared it to several high end amplifiers before buying it. He still talks about it to this day, so I want to give it a try with my Magnepans. His old one is available to me, as well. But I've been waiting for the guy to retrieve it from his parent's house for months. Of course, now that I've bought Don's, he'll call me this week on it :p:

Ken

Ken

Welcome aboard. I curious how it sounds with your Maggies.

Dave

By all accounts I've heard about Mitsu gear from that period, they have been uniformly good.
The amp also won several industrial design awards as well!
I have the TOTL Mitsu cdplayer from about 1990/91, and it is still my favorite, and best-made, cdplayer.

enjoy,
pete

Ken you'll like it. Not only did it have some major ooomph it looks awesomely brutish too. Not an amp you have to hide away in a cabinet.

Got the m/o today will ship tomorrow.

They also had an optional SUPER-COOL great big 'thingie' with two great big ol' VU meters that mated right up with their amps. Every now and then one comes up on eBay. When they're mated, it looks like that's the way it should be.
You'll enjoy it, and it won't have a problem with the Maggies.

Back
Top Bottom