Best headphones without spending a fortune.!

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by DVjorge, Dec 16, 2017.

1. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

Nevermind... I'm an idiot.

:p

I thought you were talking about the Sennheiser HD660.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Eldin

Eldin Active Member

Well to give my input eh? I went to guitar center to test the fabled M50's out. I personally thought they were a bit too bass heavy compared to the dt770's that were also there to test. Now by no means is the m50 a bad headphone but honestly from my own opinionated testing, the DT770's are the better buy (plus they are immensely comfortable :) )

cratz2 likes this.
  3. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

The M50s are more of a fun headphone than a remotely accurate headphone.

The 770/880/990 are definitely very comfortable in my opinion.

The M50s is a bit bass heavy. The 770 is bass as well. The difference to me between these two phones is the 770 is gratingly aggressive in the highs in my opinion. The M50 isn't esp clear or detailed in the treble, but I don't find the M50s nearly as fatiguing as the 770s.

Having said that, if I listened to well recorded music exclusively, I'd go for the 770s over the M50s. I'd go for the M50s if I listened to music with a fair bit of mediocre prosecution values mixed in there. Of course, id definirely go for the 880 over the 770s or the M50s.

4. 59volvo

59volvo Well-Known Member

koss porta pro

cratz2 likes this.
  5. RichTassoni

RichTassoni Active Member

Have the M50x love them, for me the base very good.

cratz2 likes this.
  6. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Anybody tried the Senn HD 579, 599's? I read so many reviews, both by the writers and user input and finally chose the HD579 for no particular reason other than it was in my budget and that was where on the dartboard it landed. Should be here on Sat!! :banana:

RichTassoni and cratz2 like this.

7. oldflame

oldflame Member

Somebody at Stereophile went gaga over the Thinksound On2 and gave it an "A" rating. I liked the description and so took a chance. The $200 minus $50 gift card ($150 total!) seems a bargain for these on - ear, closed - back, wood, phones with comfy ear pads. I really like them, but I haven't heard really expensive "A" rated phones yet.

cratz2 likes this.
  8. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

I wore my V-Moda XS headphones at work today. Definitely not my favorite set overall, but for a very sealed on-ear, I could easily live with them.

I basically wore them for three hours, off for 1.5 hours then back on for three more hours... no fatigue, very decent and fun sound. Driven directly from my Galaxy S8 phone listening mostly to female vocalists with a few R&B songs and a few newer jazz cuts. Very nice for $100 Used Like New from Amazon.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  9. faber12

faber12 AK Subscriber Subscriber

10. keilau

keilau AK Member

No, cratz2, you definitely are not. Sennheiser HD660 fits the subject "Best headphones without spending a fortune.!" very well. The Superlux HD660 may be an excellent value compared to the over priced fun phones for portable use. It is not an accurate phone.

cratz2 likes this.
  11. archie2

archie2 Addicted Member

I have the ATH M50x, Philips SHP9500, Monoprice 8323 with upgraded earpads, Superlux HD6688. All decent phones, especially the Philips SHP9500 which is outstanding for the money. But I would add one more to this category, the Samsung SR850 aka "the giant killer" at $32.80.

John401 and cratz2 like this.

12. RichTassoni

RichTassoni Active Member

I also have Audio Technica M50x head phones and there wonderful for hour's of listening comfort got them for 130.00 Amazon. I've read about others at higher costs but don't know how much of a improvement I'm going to have at a higher price.

13. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

The OP asked back in December, and has replied to none of this. I bet he has headphones by now.

cratz2 likes this.
  14. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

Or was overwhelmed by all the choices/recommendations.

:p

musichal likes this.
  15. archie2

archie2 Addicted Member

No doubt. I just added the Samsung SR850 as a FYI future reference in case anyone might be looking for a good pair of inexpensive phones. Samsung is a relative unknown maker of quality headphones.

cratz2 and musichal like this.
  16. Judas Priest

Judas Priest Super Member

Google says they are from Samson, not Samsung :)

17. soundmig

soundmig AK Subscriber Subscriber

I bought a set of HiFiman RE00 ear buds on Massdrop about a year ago. I think they were $29.95 or something around that and they sound amazingly good. I saw one review on them that was totally flabbergasted that such a cheap set of IEM's could have such liquid smooth mid-range and reasonable extension. At first I was unimpressed as the bass was weak, but after they broke in the bass came up to snuff and these little gems are quite good - leaving little if anything to be desired in the way of SQ and listenability. If the "drop" them again, get a pair or 2 or 3 for your portable listening - if you lose them no big loss. In the mean time they sound great!

cratz2 likes this.
  18. Judas Priest

Judas Priest Super Member

My earbuds also cost in the €20-€30 range, and I think they sound fantastic! Don´t even know what brand they are :)

cratz2 likes this.
  19. John401

John401 Member

I currently have a set of ATH-50's and a Grado 80e. One open back and one closed. Covers everything! Bought the Grados for $99.00 new and the other for $69.00 used on eBay. With diminished hearing from age, loud music,and noise anything beyond their frequency range would be just for prestige of ownership. Both are great phones

musichal and cratz2 like this.
  20. archie2

archie2 Addicted Member

You are right. The SR850's are from Samson. My typo. I also have the Samson SR950's but prefer the SR850's for their better balance and clarity.

cratz2 likes this.