Best Inexpensive Vinyl Cleaning Method?

hughman61

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before in the AK archives and comes up from time to time, figured I'd just start a new thread anyways.

I don't have a budget for an ultrasonic cleaner and I've read there are lots of myths associated with a proper cleaning method. I've heard using rubbing alcohol is super bad for the coating applied at pressing. I really don't want to damage my records so your comments are welcome. Also, methods for cleaning the stylus would be super helpful.

~Hugh

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before in the AK archives and comes up from time to time, figured I'd just start a new thread anyways.

I don't have a budget for an ultrasonic cleaner and I've read there are lots of myths associated with a proper cleaning method. I've heard using rubbing alcohol is super bad for the coating applied at pressing. I really don't want to damage my records so your comments are welcome. Also, methods for cleaning the stylus would be super helpful.

~Hugh

Have a look at the Spin-clean system, quite effective and compact. :)
https://www.amazon.com/SPIN-CLEAN-S...TF8&qid=1473011149&sr=1-1&keywords=spin+clean

How about getting dust off the needle?

Magic Eraser
Do a search on how to use it properly. :)
mr-clean-magic-erasers.gif

or
https://www.amazon.ca/Stanton-SC-4-...32846&sr=8-31&keywords=stylus+brush+turntable

If you are handy, or someone you know is handy, and you have access to some woodworking and power tools, a DIY RCM can be built for under a hundred dollars.
I built my own, and although my carpentry skills are just ok, it works quite well.

I currently use Spin Clean and for dusting I use a carbon fiber brush. For cleaning a stylus I use an extreme phono stylus cleaner.

Happy Listening!
DeeCee

Best thing in the world for the stylus is to never let it get cruddy in the first place (makes a big difference if you keep your records clean). I use little stylus brushes for a half dozen strokes after each record side. I use an old medical microscope to examine them periodically (I have a collection of cartridges in rotation for my 40 year old B&O table, still perfect, began collecting cartridges for it a long time ago). I have always been amazed and pleased at how pristine they remain; I have never seen them look anything like the example pictures I've seen showing various degrees ranging from slightly dusty to absolutely hard coated in crud.

But, if you do have one that is cruddy, you have to be gentle, patient, and beware of liquids that might work up into the armature/coil parts.

- I would start with a close examination. You can buy a little hand held microscope with a built in high intensity light for a few dollars, plenty good enough to check what is going on and verify progress of cleaning (Radio Shack, Fry's, Amazon)

- look to see where the crud is attached (stylus, stylus mount, behind the mount, cantilever)

- first use a dry stylus brush motion from back to front only, about 30 strokes, then check cleaning progress. If it was just loose dust, you may be done.

- if what remains is a fairly solid coating, you may very carefully add a drop of record cleaner to the brush and try again, slow strokes that brush the cantilever, mount, and stylus... be sure to maintain an orientation that does not let liquid flow into the inside of the cartridge.

- for very dirty ones you can place a couple of drops to soak one end of a Q-tip (but DO NOT be tempted to apply the Q-tip to scrub the stylus!); just set the Q-tip on a clean saucer and rest the stylus gently on it so that the stylus is not moving. Give it a few minutes of "soaking" and then use a brush, then check with the scope to see how that is coming. May take a few cycles... give it time to dry so you don't minimize risk wetting the insides.

For cleaning records I use the Spin-Clean. I have found three things that make the Spin-Clean process work really well:

- a rinse cycle. After I clean a record it goes into a rack, and after the rack is full of the whole batch of cleaned records, I empty and flush the Spin-Clean, and then refill it with fresh distilled water, no soap, and just a little splash of isopropyl A. Then I give each record another spin with the cleaning bushes removed, so this is just a quick rinse, then back to the rack for drying.

- it took a while to find the right rack, plastic coated wire, with the right geometry of form so that when records are resting in it the records do not touch each other and the rack supports only contact the records at their edges and within their label area. I clean a batch of about 15-20 records at a time - the rack needs to match your batch size.

- attempting to dry records by hand is futile. They need to air dry over a few hours and it is extremely important that they are truly dry before being played and certainly before going back into their sleeves and covers to be stored. I set the rack of records where air currents are minimal and cover the whole thing loosely with a brand new plastic trash bag to shelter them from airborne stuff while they are slowly drying.

I got a Knosti record cleaner and use a Bob Ross Foliage brush on my records while spinning them around. The wash is home made using Distilled water, 99% Isopropyl; alcohol, Tergitol and Kodak Photo Flo. This suds up on the record with a moist brush and about 6 revolutions on each side about does it. Then I take the record to the sink and rinse all the suds off using tap water then rinse with Distilled water. Then I either air dry or blow dry using my air compressor. I am pleased with how clean my records come out.

I dont see the point in 99% if diluting it with water
And rinsing away afterwards with tap
Whatever impurities is not in the 99% surely gets added back on from the tap

But then theres final rinsr anyway

Id use thr photo-flo for final rinse with distilled
Thats what its made for

I would second the use of the CanFab 3D record cleaning machine found at the squeakycleanvinyl link. As I understand it they can be had for less then $120 USD shipped. Its darn tough to build something that nice for that money. A vacuum based record cleaning machine is the most effective and inexpensive way to clean vinyl well. It's not as effective as an ultrasonic bath, but it is far better than a Spin Clean or sink washing. Now if you are really trying to be frugal, you can build a PVC wand for a shop vac and cut a slot and line it with Velcro strips for an ultra low cost option. Use a lazy Susan to support the record, and scrub the cleaning solution in and vacuum it off. It takes a bit of trial and error to get things right, but its the cheapest way to do it that I know of.

As far as a stylus cleaner, the least expensive methods that are known to work well are the Magic Eraser, or Moon Gel. I would prefer the Moon Gel myself, and there are many threads on AK about it. Give them a read, and you can get it ordered for about $10. Use this and the stiff stylus brush that comes with most cartridges and you will have a clean diamond on your cartridge.

Regards
Mister Pig

I don't have a budget for an ultrasonic cleaner and I've read there are lots of myths associated with a proper cleaning method. I've heard using rubbing alcohol is super bad for the coating applied at pressing. I really don't want to damage my records so your comments are welcome.

~Hugh
It depends on how severe the problem is. You can make your own cleaning solutions from stuff you normally find around the house. Just don't do something really stupid like use Windex on your vinyl.

I would second the use of the CanFab 3D record cleaning machine found at the squeakycleanvinyl link. As I understand it they can be had for less then $120 USD shipped. Its darn tough to build something that nice for that money. A vacuum based record cleaning machine is the most effective and inexpensive way to clean vinyl well. It's not as effective as an ultrasonic bath, but it is far better than a Spin Clean or sink washing. Now if you are really trying to be frugal, you can build a PVC wand for a shop vac and cut a slot and line it with Velcro strips for an ultra low cost option. Use a lazy Susan to support the record, and scrub the cleaning solution in and vacuum it off. It takes a bit of trial and error to get things right, but its the cheapest way to do it that I know of.

I appreciate the less expensive option. I think I'll contact CanFab3D to get one of these.

As far as a stylus cleaner, the least expensive methods that are known to work well are the Magic Eraser, or Moon Gel. I would prefer the Moon Gel myself, and there are many threads on AK about it. Give them a read, and you can get it ordered for about $10. Use this and the stiff stylus brush that comes with most cartridges and you will have a clean diamond on your cartridge.

Regards
Mister Pig

Back
Top Bottom