Best Inexpensive Vinyl Cleaning Method?

A cheap way to clean your albums.

Dawn soap, and warm water.

add to this one of the lint removal clothing brushes, usually red directional fiber for removing lint from your clothes that sell for a buck at dollar stores.

wet the brush, and take a dot of the dawn and spread back and forth in a line on both sides of the brush. wet the record, wash as the fibers make you follow the grooves, both sides of the record.

spray vigorously with the sink sprayer, dry with the microfiber cloths and set on a rack or easels to dry.

quite similar to what i did before the spinclean (better than the dawn method).

agreed!

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before in the AK archives and comes up from time to time, figured I'd just start a new thread anyways.

I don't have a budget for an ultrasonic cleaner and I've read there are lots of myths associated with a proper cleaning method. I've heard using rubbing alcohol is super bad for the coating applied at pressing. I really don't want to damage my records so your comments are welcome. Also, methods for cleaning the stylus would be super helpful.

~Hugh

Spin Clean. In my best Dalek voice, "You will obeyyyyyyyy!"

I've never seen this! For 30 bucks its worth a try.

For those unfamiliar or curious about the Vinyl Vac, it's a great addition to any cleaning regiment. I've used a SpinClean for decades, wanted a RCM but didn't feel like dropping $550. Researched the RecordDoctor V (RCM for $199), found the Vinyl Vac wand for $27. I went to Walmart and bought a 1 Gallon/1.5 HP wet/dry vac (Stanley) for $19.99 and a Shure Line Edge Painter from Home depot for $4. Order a 14" lazy susan off of Amazon for $10. Mmmh what am I up to? $60! Took a platter mat, placed it on the lazy susan and marked the center hole. Drilled the hole out and glued a wooden dowel in the center. Placed crappy platter mat on it and voila! Manual record cleaner, just like the Record Doctor, save $139.

So as I mentioned earlier I was a big fan of the SpinClean and it was fantastic for me. My new homebuilt setup is better. Much like AK'er Highball's creation a while back, this wand can also be home built, but I figured for the price and no hassle the cost was nothing and my records sound better than ever!

For those unfamiliar or curious about the Vinyl Vac, it's a great addition to any cleaning regiment. I've used a SpinClean for decades, wanted a RCM but didn't feel like dropping $550. Researched the RecordDoctor V (RCM for $199), found the Vinyl Vac wand for $27. I went to Walmart and bought a 1 Gallon/1.5 HP wet/dry vac (Stanley) for $19.99 and a Shure Line Edge Painter from Home depot for $4. Order a 14" lazy susan off of Amazon for $10. Mmmh what am I up to? $60! Took a platter mat, placed it on the lazy susan and marked the center hole. Drilled the hole out and glued a wooden dowel in the center. Placed crappy platter mat on it and voila! Manual record cleaner, just like the Record Doctor, save $139.

So as I mentioned earlier I was a big fan of the SpinClean and it was fantastic for me. My new homebuilt setup is better. Much like AK'er Highball's creation a while back, this wand can also be home built, but I figured for the price and no hassle the cost was nothing and my records sound better than ever!

Why not still run it through the Spin Clean first since you already own it? I'm using the same setup as you except I'm using an old broken turntable for the vac part. I actually have 2 Spin Cleans so I do a wash, rinse in another and then vacuum on the table.

Why not still run it through the Spin Clean first since you already own it? I'm using the same setup as you except I'm using an old broken turntable for the vac part. I actually have 2 Spin Cleans so I do a wash, rinse in another and then vacuum on the table.

Great question! I thought about it and my question is the fact that both sides are wet after the SC, so I'm essentially laying a wet-sided record down on a platter mat. Doesn't this introduce contaminants? After you used the SC to remove them?

Magic Eraser
Do a search on how to use it properly. :)
mr-clean-magic-erasers.gif

or
https://www.amazon.ca/Stanton-SC-4-...32846&sr=8-31&keywords=stylus+brush+turntable

I'll do the search, but this is a baaaad idea from my perspective. They are very abrasive.

Try it on something painted shiny.

Great question! I thought about it and my question is the fact that both sides are wet after the SC, so I'm essentially laying a wet-sided record down on a platter mat. Doesn't this introduce contaminants? After you used the SC to remove them?
Make sure the mat is clean. I don't use the vac to dry totally but to suck most of it off and then dish rack it for a bit.

You could find a inexpensive Disc Doctor one for about $200 to $250, ,but it did not have a full platter to support records.

Regards
Mister Pig

Just an FYI about the platter to support records for anybody who has one or is thinking about getting a Disc Doctor. The platter situation is easily solved (for those who are concerned about it)
w/ an Ikea Lazy Susan .. about $10 at your local Ikea store.

I've been doing this for a decade ... I added an old record mat on top but you could use shelf liner on top of LZ.
Then I rotate the unit while applying record cleaning fluid & spread out w/ brush. At that point I then
use the Disc Doctor (Nitty Gritty 1.0 in my case) to vacuum the wet side down.

If you are wondering ... the lP does not slide off. Also has the added advantage of reducing wear & tear on the Disc Doc or NG spindle.

Last edited:
The absolute cheapest is original Blue Dawn dishwashing soap and rinse with lots of room temperature water. It has made a huge difference for me, even on noisy new records. Less than a penny a record. Use a soft towel to scrub, then rinse well.

I do this all the time with yard sale LP buys. I wash them just like dishes, in the sink with a brush, dry with microfiber cloth. The tip came to me from a friend who buys & sells LPs. I borrowed a few from him to listen to and was amazed how few artifacts were present. When asked, he told me what he did. He's on the road hitting record shows and goes to auctions & flea markets along the way. When he got more inventory he needed a way to clean them in his hotel room and decided to try washing them.

Just got around to playing ALL the albums I cleaned with the homebuilt vacuum system (post #44), frickin' unbelievable, crystal clear audio!!!! I got lazy towards the end with how many rotations, but they still impressed.

Have to edit this post: Since I've been on AK there was always handfuls of AK'ers who swore that vacuum cleaning (now US) was a must for clean records. I, of course, was a stout defender of the SpinClean method(s) and always shook my head when reading the vacuuming comments. Now that I've used and listened to my records using a homebuilt vacuum method I want to smack myself for not taking those comments more seriously. A convert and believer that unless you remove (vacuum) you're not really cleaning albums.

Last edited:
I got a Knosti record cleaner and use a Bob Ross Foliage brush on my records while spinning them around. The wash is home made using Distilled water, 99% Isopropyl; alcohol, Tergitol and Kodak Photo Flo. This suds up on the record with a moist brush and about 6 revolutions on each side about does it. Then I take the record to the sink and rinse all the suds off using tap water then rinse with Distilled water. Then I either air dry or blow dry using my air compressor. I am pleased with how clean my records come out.

My tergitol instruction leaflet specifically states not to mix any alcohol with tergitol as the alcohol will break the tergitol down.

So many options out there, most of them bad. Specific cleaning solutions are required for different applications, which is why the best commercial suppliers offer an array of products. Are you talking initial cleaning of grungy thrift store finds or a daily cleaner for touch up prior to play? What method or device are you using to clean...Hand-scrubbing, SpinClean, RCM, Ultrasonic? Do you experience a lot of static in your environment? How are you drying?

Examples: Grungy Thrift store finds may need an enzymatic treatment prior to cleaning with detergent. Daily cleaners may need some dispersant. General detergent mixes may need an antistat. Spin clean devices need a flocculant in the solution. Ultrasonics require less detergent. All should include a final distilled or deionized water rinse.
Household products have their issues as they were not designed for the unique sonic product we are dealing with. There are a few that are OK, like Dawn (which is mostly SDS detergent), but this can cause issues (e.g. static) as well. So you have two choices: pony up the money to buy a well-engineered commercial record cleaning product or do the research and make your own line of mixes that are safe and effective. Your collection deserves the best and your heirs and ears will thank you.

My tergitol instruction leaflet specifically states not to mix any alcohol with tergitol as the alcohol will break the tergitol down.
Please explain this. Which Tergitol, which alcohol? There is no mechanism for alcoholic breakdown of secondary alcohol ethoxylates. Perhaps they are referring to the disruption of micelles? Can you link to this leaflet as now I'm very curious?

Please explain this. Which Tergitol, which alcohol? There is no mechanism for alcoholic breakdown of secondary alcohol ethoxylates. Perhaps they are referring to the disruption of micelles? Can you link to this leaflet as now I'm very curious?

This is the tergitol I use: https://www.amazon.com/Professional...=UTF8&qid=1507564649&sr=8-1&keywords=tergitol . Directions said to mix it with distilled water only - do not add any type of alcohol. I have the instructions at home, so I will take a look later for more specifics.

Back
Top Bottom