Best Infinity Speaker Under $3000

brettMc

Hi All,

Sorry, I know, I know big annoying generalized post...

So I have a 14x20 room. So far I enjoy my JBL 4312a's the most of the many speakers I have owned, mainly due to their holographic soundstage when you sit right in the sweet spot. Bit they can be harsh and cause listening fatigue. So I took them out of service, in hopes of upgrading their crossover (think I am gonna go with active digital crossovers).

In the meantime I picked up a properly refurbished pair of Infinity Kappa 7's. These speakers are crazy fun! The bass is incredible. They are dynamic and even at very very high volumes (over very short periods of time) they never make me wince or draw back. Even at modest to loud volumes I can listen to them for a good hour or so with no listening fatigue.

So what Infinitys should I try out next for under $3000? I really want something that has the incredible holography of the JBLs but the bass presence and dynamic excitement of the Infinitys. I very much would like bi-amping capability and something that imcorporates the servo-controlled woofer or an active sub. I am also open to cracking the speakers open and employing an active digital crossover with room correction. I would also prefer not to have a ported cabinet design. Should I just move up to a Kappa 8? Please, your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Music I listen to is progressive rock, rock from 1960's till now. Hendrix, Genesis, Beatles, NIN, Bjork, Radiohead, Daft Punk, etc...

Thanks!
Brett

RSII-6.jpg

Most large vintage Infinitys go for less than $3000 if you can find them. The thing is that you also have to budget for a capable amp or two. As an example, Kappa 9s usually sell for under $1500.

I don't recommend any Infinity with the old polydome mid range (the one without the "web" of support material)

JBL sound harsh? Maybe its your music that fatigues you or you need a subwoofer for lower frequencies to balance the output

I'd have to say for your music, definitely the Kappa 9. Pro amp the woofers and your favorite amp on top. You might have enough change leftover to increase the music collection.

Good luck whatever you do.

If I had $3k to buy vintage Infinities, I'd get a pair of IRS Sigma. But for your listening tastes, Kappa 9 would probably work for half the price. Although you're close to being in RS-1 territory...

I don't recommend any Infinity with the old polydome mid range (the one without the "web" of support material)

JBL sound harsh? Maybe its your music that fatigues you or you need a subwoofer for lower frequencies to balance the output
Well if it's my music that fatigues me um that ain't gonna change. And as I was saying the Kappas do not cause this fatigue.

Well if it's my music that fatigues me um that ain't gonna change. And as I was saying the Kappa do not cause this fatigue.
If I had $3k to buy vintage Infinities, I'd get a pair of IRS Sigma. But for your listening tastes, Kappa 9 would probably work for half the price. Although you're close to being in RS-1 territory...

I have a 14x20 room. Are these many suggestions appropriate for that size of room? And which ones have servo control for bass and/or active crossovers?

Kappa 9s have two pairs of binding posts, are ready for bi-amping and have passive crossovers. RS IIs have a single set of inputs , so not set up for bi-amping. They have passive crossovers.

For factory active crossovers and/or servo woofer control you're probably talking about models that go for $3000 or more.

The RS-IIA and RS-IIB have bi-amp abilities and an active EQ control (no servo or active sub) and can be had for less than Kappa 9. They would work well in your sized room.

Servo controlled Infinities like the IRS Gamma and Beta are out of your price range. The Epsilons are only slightly out of your price range, give or take.

Well, I have to amend my suggestion. There's a pair of IRS Delta's on eBay (not mine)(322764916029), for close to the OP's price range. While these are capable of being servo driven, the servo controller doesn't seem to be included. But, Delta's are fine being used without the controller, as they were sold like that too. As such, they're basically Kappa 9's, but with EMIM's, instead of polydomes. Not bad!

IRS DELTA s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for all of these suggestions. Which of the many suggestions has the most coherent, 3-dimensional soundstage?

So many of these options have more than three drivers and often a mix of two or three types of drivers. I would think this might cause issues with the coherence of the soundstage. As I was sayin' the Kappa 7's aren't as strong as the JBL 4312a's in this department.

What about the Prelude MTS?

Thanks,
Brett

I have been trying to convonce my bachelor brother to ditch his whatever they are newish, just OK sounding speakers for a genuine pr of vintage Infinities as tall as he is.
He has the TOTL Yamaha receiver from 3 years back to power them plenty and i KNOW they would sound orders of magnitude better than what he's got now.
Any tips on how to convince a brother to finally pick up a pair of REAL speakers for his house?

Can you tell me the names of these models you are posting please?
With a 14X20" room the really large Infinitys(output wise) would be overkill, imo.
You can find excellent performance well under 3000 dollars with a number of Infinitys.
I think the RS II has superb imaging and soundstage, although it's not bi-ampable it's an aspect I find unnecessary same applies active crossovers unless designed specifically for the system.

Back
Top Bottom