Best input for phono preamp to hook up on receiver

Matt K.

I'm saving up to buy an integrated amp...the the meantime im using a sony receiver.

I want to aviod the pre-amplification abilities built into my reciever (Sony STR-D615) and solely rely on my Project brand pre amp to do all that conversion work. So... should i plug my pre amp into the "tape" hookups instead of the "phono" hookups? Or Mayhe the "CD" hookups are best since the reciever would not expect to recieve any info that needs a phono conversion on this line.

Yes, you can use the cd inputs as long as you use the separate phono preamp. That would bring the signal up to standard line level.

Welcome to AK!

Thanks for the fast response "crazy-in-az"...im from AZ also...i live in Chandler.

Can i ask you a power question?

My turntable set up is at a wall with 2 duplex outlets 8' apart from each other. Can I plug 1 surge protector with all 3 compents pluged into the surge protector or is it better to do 2 surge protectors (1 at each outlet) with TT on one protector and the receiver and preamp on the other protector. I just bought new ELAC bookshelf speakers but they are non powered.

thanks for your time and help!

IMO, it is best to keep the TT, phono preamp, and line preamp on the same circuit. Others will likely disagree.

You are right on sqlsavior, but also check for lowest noise or hum by flipping non polarized power plugs in the strip. Also keep cables away from transformers and AC feeds. Ground TT, phono preamp and anything else to the same point to also get rid of as much hum as you can. You may find that the hum may diminish as the preamp is kept away from receiver.

Two outlets 8 feet apart on the same wall are likely on the same circuit so it really doesn't make a difference. I'd use a single power conditioner just for convenience sake.

You are right on sqlsavior, but also check for lowest noise or hum by flipping non polarized power plugs in the strip. Also keep cables away from transformers and AC feeds. Ground TT, phono preamp and anything else to the same point to also get rid of as much hum as you can. You may find that the hum may diminish as the preamp is kept away from receiver.
Thank you very much to the great advice Freddymac2. What do you mean by flipping non polarized power plugs in the strip? Sorry but I'm a bit of a novice on this stuff. Thanks again!

Some plugs do not have a broad blade on the Neutral side so the can go in the wrong way, and it may increase hum in your system. A standard 3 prong can not be reversed.

I just hooked up a TT/phono preamp to my old reliable, Nikko NR-615.
It clearly sounded best through the tape monitor input.
This little $50 unit has worked a miracle.
Just the little boost which I wanted.
Tight not boomy.
ART DJpreII.
The reason I still like to use this receiver is because it has great sentimental value.
When my son, who is now 41 years old, was born, I played the who's, "it's a boy. Mrs Walker" through it.
This receiver and Jensen LS3 speakers were new at that time. They both still function perfectly.
Changed internal fuse twice in the Nikko.
Refoamed speakers twice.

Last edited:
The “TAPE MONITOR” input is to reserve for monitoring sound processors to connect to a preamplifier or an integrated.
Huh? What do you mean "reserve"? Yes, it can "insert" a line level device* into the signal chain by using both the tape output/input jacks but it can also accept any line level input via the input jacks It's often used as an extra "aux" input.

* equalizers, three head tape decks, various signal processors and the like

Last edited:
Huh? What do you mean "reserve"? Yes, it can "insert" a line level device* into the signal chain by using both the tape output/input jacks but it can also accept any line level input via the input jacks It's often used as an extra "aux" input.

* equalizers, three head tape decks, various signal processors and the like
Exactly: equalizers, three head tape decks, and among other “various signal processors”, compressors, expanders, enhancers, denoisers, declickers, noise gates, low-pass filters, high-pass filters and the like.

What do I mean by "reserve"? It’s very simple: and if the “TAPE MONITOR” terminals of an integrated are “occupied” by any line level input via its input jacks that are often used as an extra "aux" input, which input will then accept an equalizer, a three head tape deck, a compressor, an expander, an enhancer, a denoiser, declicker, noise gate, low-pass filter, high-pass filter and the like, to process the signal of any “source” connected to the inputs other than the “TAPE PLAY” ones, and to let the listener monitor the effect of?

Back
Top Bottom