Lossless

I was wondering what you guys think About iPod / iPhone DACs. I currently use an iPod video 5.5 generation for my lossless music. This model uses a Wolfson DAC and I feel the sound is the best of all Apple products. What’s your thoughts?

Here’s some info for you to wade through. If you are so inclined ....

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....hanced-version-problems.795304/#post-11005054

I’m happy with the TEAC iPod dock, and I use the Apple lightning to 30 pin female connector for the modern stuff.
That’s a good direction. I like being able to bypass the iPod DAC but I’m wanting to utilize the optical inputs on my Fisher RS-Z1 and use the Fishers built in Burr Brown 48kHz DAC .The Arcam seems to only support RCA inputs.correct me if I’m wrong. I’m currently using a kingsigton iPod dock that leaves something to be desired audio wise but the remote control is a plus.

Last edited:
There are digital outs on the TEAC. The main competitor to the TEAC is the Pure I20; not familiar with that one.
There is also a Wadia 30 pin DAC out there.

So what all gizmos will pull music in digital from the iPod's 30-pin connector? As I recall, there were just a few high-end audio outfits (dCS?) that met Apple's qualifications to do so.

I was wondering what you guys think About iPod / iPhone DACs. I currently use an iPod video 5.5 generation for my lossless music. This model uses a Wolfson DAC and I feel the sound is the best of all Apple products. What’s your thoughts?

I'm using a Tascam CD-200iL CD Player with iPhone/iPod Cradle. You can run the output into a separate DAC. Excellent, IMHO, especially for the price. It is also a good transport.

...main competitor to the TEAC is the Pure I20; not familiar with that one.

When I still had iPods (switched to SANSA players 5 years ago & never looked back @ Apple again), I had a Pure I-20, which worked very well. After my last iPod bit the dust, I sold the Pure I-20 to a fellow AKer who has got a lot more milage outta his iPod gear than I ever did and still uses the Pure I-20 some 4-5 years after acquiring it.

I recall reading a while back (3-4 years maybe) that the latest (then) iPad blew everything away for DACing. You might try to find some reviews of those iPads (I remember term "audiophile" used). Like other Apple gear, iPads go cheap after the new models come out, and audio is a walk in the park for just about ANY processor, and power is from a battery (DC), and you should be able to bolt it right up to an iTunes library over WiFi, and ...

I'm using a Tascam CD-200iL CD Player with iPhone/iPod Cradle. You can run the output into a separate DAC. Excellent, IMHO, especially for the price. It is also a good transport.
Nice! Does the CD-200iL bypass the iPods internal DAC? I like how the iPod tray slides out.

Nice! Does the CD-200iL bypass the iPods internal DAC? I like how the iPod tray slides out.
Yes, it bypasses the internal DAC. John Marks reviewed the model with out the iPod dock in Stereophile and gave it a thumbs up. You can search for it. This the same player but has the dock feature. I have had it for about a year. No issues.

I used to use my iPod the same way and I have bought a dock made by Wadia. It bypasses the internal DAC on the iPod and it also has a remote which comes in handy. It's a well made dock and they work well.

I see here the majority of the iPod docks are over $200. Is there a budget friendly way, say $100 alternative? Fortunately I’m able to listen to my FLAC files via iTunes on PC through the fiber optic Toslink sound card.Digital is digital and to my understanding it doesn’t matter what type of player you use as long as the 1s and 0s make it to your DAC unaltered.

Digital is digital and to my understanding it doesn’t matter what type of player you use as long as the 1s and 0s make it to your DAC unaltered.

I think there's a growing consensus that your statement is true IFF the DAC has clean power. That can be a problem if the DAC's getting its juice from sources contaminated by the noise from SMPS gear (just about everything with a CPU in it these days).

I think there's a growing consensus that your statement is true IFF the DAC has clean power. That can be a problem if the DAC's getting its juice from sources contaminated by the noise from SMPS gear (just about everything with a CPU in it these days).
Fortunately the Burr Brown 48 kHz 16 bit DAC is built into my Fisher RS-Z1 receiver, so clean power shouldn’t be an issue. Hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom