Best Klipsch speaker for placement close to a wall

BenH.

I have a set of KG 4's that sound the best pulled back from the wall at least a foot, and they seem to sound the very best about 3 feet out from the wall. With the furniture, the fireplace and large bay window it is hard to place them where they have some distance from the wall. What Klipsch speakers sound good against a wall?

Don't know which are "best" but I've had both Heresys and Chorus I's sounding good pushed up against the wall. My Chorus II's, not so much - probably for the same reason as yours: the passive radiator in the back. It needs room to work. I would think that you shoud be ok with any Klipsch that have closed backs.

or a pair of Khorns which require not one wall but two! (a corner)

It is after all, their speaker that started it all. I've always contended that it is probably the most space/room efficient speaker made since it uses what is otherwise, dead room space (corners)

Thanks for the ideas. I'm checking craigslist to see what is available. The least expensive Cornwalls on craigslist are about $900, which is more than I want to spend. I guess I could look for Heresys and a subwoofer which would be a lot less expensive than Cornwalls. I got lucky and found these KG4s for $50. We rearranged furniture last night(took one side of the sectional sofa out) to find a place for the KG4s that places them about 10" from the wall, and they sound pretty good. I may end up keeping the KG4s if the room stays arranged like it is tonight.

I had Chorus Is very close to a wall and loved them like that for almost 15 yrs. If you can manage a little toe in that might help depending upon listening position.

Of the Heritage series I would say a Cornwall though if spread to far apart they need to be turned toward the listener. A Hersey just doesn't perform well or barely at all below 55 hz. You might Audition some of the RF series. My Son has RF-7 II and they work well close to a wall. There are now more Klipsch models that I haven't heard than ones I have, now. I need to get out there and start poking around again.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm checking craigslist to see what is available. The least expensive Cornwalls on craigslist are about $900, which is more than I want to spend. I guess I could look for Heresys and a subwoofer which would be a lot less expensive than Cornwalls. I got lucky and found these KG4s for $50. We rearranged furniture last night(took one side of the sectional sofa out) to find a place for the KG4s that places them about 10" from the wall, and they sound pretty good. I may end up keeping the KG4s if the room stays arranged like it is tonight.
Raise the front of the KG4 about 2 inches and give another listen. Made a big difference in mine.

Thanks for the tip raising the fronts up. I ripped a couple of 2 x 4's 2.25" wide and use them to tilt the speakers back. These KG4's sound pretty good tipped back and toed in setting 10" from the wall. If we decide to keep the room arranged this way they should be fine. I'm still going to follow the craigslist klipsch ads to see if I can find some lost cost Fortes, Cornwalls or Heresys that need fixing up. I saw some Tangent 500s that look good, but they are 3.5 hours away for $200. I'm not big on black speakers so I'd need to need to build new cabinets out of walnut or oak plywood for the Tangents if I got them.

Okay, the living room arrangement has changed again. The TV is right in front of the fireplace opening(we don't use the fireplace) and the KG4s need to set on the brick hearth on either side of the TV. They would maybe look ok if they set all the way back against the brick, but then I get less bass because there is no room for the passive radiator to work. Is it possible to convert a KG4 to a front ported speaker so I can put it flat against the wall?
I've seen some modified Heresys with a rear port, and some ported in the front like a "baby cornwall". What do you think?

Okay, the living room arrangement has changed again. The TV is right in front of the fireplace opening(we don't use the fireplace) and the KG4s need to set on the brick hearth on either side of the TV. They would maybe look ok if they set all the way back against the brick, but then I get less bass because there is no room for the passive radiator to work. Is it possible to convert a KG4 to a front ported speaker so I can put it flat against the wall?
I've seen some modified Heresys with a rear port, and some ported in the front like a "baby cornwall". What do you think?
Ok, from what I have see and done for myself, jump on the Tangents and refinish them, someone fid that with some black kg4 (1) Try and find some kg5.5, could be more speaker than you want (2) Go with Heresy and use/find the tipped back risers (3) That's how I would probably go about it.

Due to my wife's unrelenting pressure in the location of everything in the living room, my Quartets ended up against the wall in the living room with two large windows in between. I do not believe this is optimum for the speaker's setup, but it is what I have been allowed. The rear firing passives feel to me like they are being restricted.

In the final assessment, though, the bass response of the Quartets is quite substantial in this position and I am quite satisfied with what I have been allotted.

I would select Cornwalls. The firmer the wall the stronger and more uniform the bass. Flimsy wall yields very colored bass. Once the speakers are placed chose your listening position carefully. It can make all the difference as to the balance of the bass with the lower ,midrange. And 50 watts to each speaker can buckle you knees, grab your thighs, and punch your chest and gut.

I've got 4.2's on stands right up against the wall. Bass responds ridiculously good with these speakers.

Back
Top Bottom