Best Linear for the $$$

janikphoto

Lunatic Member
I picked up a Fisher Linear Tracking turntable this weekend for $15, and it got me wondering... what do you think is the best of the "normal" linear tracker available? By normal, I mean something that was made by a major brand, or readily available when new, and not some ultra-rare niche brand that originally cost $20k and only had three ever produced.

I know Fisher, Sharp, Technics, and several other brands made them... so, which is the "one" to look for?

5Ed5H95Ma3Kc3Ld3H3c9gacc8282c5820122a.jpg

I picked out an SL-6 for a friend who was a noob at vinyl, and he loved it, never had any issues, and it always sounded nice whenever I heard it. Technically it is programmable, but we usually just let the record play...it has pretty precise cuing controls, but a little time consuming to fiddle with, although pretty neat, really.

TechnicsSL-6.jpg

YMMV....

Technics made some that are pretty good. Harman/Kardon made some very nice models with Rabco-built arms. JVC made a couple of very under-rated P-mount models. Some of the big dogs like the top-end Mitsubishi and Sony units are really, really nice.

I had a Technics SL5 that I gave to a friend. It was a nice little machine. About as basic as it gets for controls and operation but it sounded good. I have a Technics SL-DL1 now, which I think is marginally nicer. Bigger footprint than the SL5, but the controls are similarly sparse. Its a little more solid feeling too, and subjectively I think it sounds a smidge better but it has a different cartridge too. I did some damping mods to the SL5, mostly on the platter itself and I added some Dynamat-like material to the inside of the case on the bottom. It definitely made a difference, though I think the platter damping helped more than anything else. Before messing with it, the platter would ring like a bell if I hit it. After damping it was quite dead sounding. Probably I'll do the same to the SL-DL1 when I get around to it.

Best quality build for the bux? Probably the Technics SL-7.

SL-10 i'd say. I had the SL-7 and now i have the SL-10, and i find the 10 of much better construction and better sound.

You can find them at a good price if you've patience.

SL-10 i'd say. I had the SL-7 and now I have the SL-10, and i find the 10 of much better construction and better sound.

You can find them at a good price if you've patience.

The '10 is no bargain at todays going prices, the '7 still is. Otherwise, I'd agree on solidity if not sound. My '10s may go up for sale as a project pair If I don't get around to messing with them.
+1 on the Technics SL-Q1, which generally goes unnoticed for far less than they are worth in sonix and utility value.

Last edited:
I have a Tehcnics SL-Q1, which in its time was one of the top 3 in the Technics line.

It is not as well known as the SL-10 or SL-15, so you can pick them up pretty cheap. I got mine recently for about $50 and it works perfect and sounds great.

I've had a number of linear-trackers, including a B&O 4004, but currently I'm using a Sony PS-LX55II, and I'm having fun with cartridge-rolling. With T4P linear-trackers, you can simply plug one out and another in, as they all weigh the same (or almost all of them), and there's no alignment to do. This TT is almost ridiculously easy to use too, and not too expensive.

SL-7 hands down! Great isolation. Plays in any position. I use mine vertical, but I did test it upside down and it works! Small,SMALL footprint. Actually has 12v option so you can play it in your car. Knows automatially the disc size/speed. Only downside (if you can call it that) is P mount cartridge but I think you can get an adaptor that takes 1/2" std. carts.
They are 15.4 pounds in a 5 pound sack.
Like mine better than my SL1200
Vinyl Engine with specs and a review here says it's better than SL10 http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-7.shtml

I had an SL-7 and put a Grado Blue on it and it really sang, I sold it as I had to many other tables and got into MC carts.

I have this Kenwood KD-65F that I really like. Although it may look like BPC, it is actually built very well and it has worked flawlessly for me. I picked it up at the Goodwill for $7.00 - NIB!

DSC_5524_filtered.jpg

SL-7 hands down! Great isolation. Plays in any position. I use mine vertical, but I did test it upside down and it works! Small,SMALL footprint. Actually has 12v option so you can play it in your car. Knows automatically the disc size/speed. Only downside (if you can call it that) is P mount cartridge but I think you can get an adapter that takes 1/2" std. carts.
They are 15.4 pounds in a 5 pound sack.
Like mine better than my SL1200
Vinyl Engine with specs and a review here says it's better than SL10 http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-7.shtml

There is no adapter for 1/2"-to-'P'-mount, it's simply not possible. 'P'-mount-to 1/2" "universal" adapters are OTOH widely available and most new 'P'-mount carts come with them. Otherwise, most major cart mfgrs made 'P'-mount versions of their carts that take stylii still readily available, so unless you want to stick in an exotic moving coil cart there is really no restriction worth worrying over.

Last edited:
I have a Tehcnics SL-Q1, which in its time was one of the top 3 in the Technics line.

It is not as well known as the SL-10 or SL-15, so you can pick them up pretty cheap. I got mine recently for about $50 and it works perfect and sounds great.
Another vote for Technics...I have the SL-QL1 too.
Bought it new in 1983, never had any problems with it.

I don't really know too much about linear tonearms but at some point I would love to put one on a table. I see people put the vintage Rabcos on their tables here and there, this a good linear?

I picked up a Fisher Linear Tracking turntable this weekend for $15, and it got me wondering... what do you think is the best of the "normal" linear tracker available? By normal, I mean something that was made by a major brand, or readily available when new, and not some ultra-rare niche brand that originally cost $20k and only had three ever produced.

I know Fisher, Sharp, Technics, and several other brands made them... so, which is the "one" to look for?

Mitsubishi LT-20, LT-22, LT-5V & LT-30
Yamaha PX-2 & PX-3
Phase Linear 8000 or Pioneer PL-L1000 (pretty much identical)
Karma Kardon ST-7

I picked out an SL-6 for a friend who was a noob at vinyl, and he loved it, never had any issues, and it always sounded nice whenever I heard it. Technically it is programmable, but we usually just let the record play...it has pretty precise cuing controls, but a little time consuming to fiddle with, although pretty neat, really.

TechnicsSL-6.jpg

YMMV....

I scored one of these for an old girlfriend's system and now I'm trying to figure out a diplomatic way of getting it back from her.

Back
Top Bottom