Best looking Amplifier - Your pick??

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by drillert450, May 22, 2008.

1. joekid

joekid Well-Known Member

Looks like am the only one.Yes these are receivers.They all do the same thing.Cost you money
    Joe

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  2. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member

Best Looking Amp?

An amp that functions correct and sounds right. An amp that you can listen to and say to yourself "That's it, that's the right sound. That amp sounds great". Live Alive. Real.

To me it 'doesn't really matter' what kind it is, who made it, what model it is...just does it 'sound right'. I don't even really care about power. Only: 'Does it sound right'.

If it sounds right to me, and it sounds right to my friends who also are looking for the same 'alive live real' type sound, then it just confirms to me that it is right, but I knew that anyway. Know what I mean? If it sounds right...it looks right!

(and if it is over 30 years old...it even looks better!)

joekid: those European black face Sansui reciever models are nice! Wish I had one! :>)
    kevinflippo: that's pretty outrageous!!!!!!! Totally outrageous.

I really do like the 'looks' of the 50s and 60s amps, all companies. And the big analog meters on the front are nice. Always dug that, 'real' action.

3. joekid

joekid Well-Known Member

Bluesky,That blackface is a 890 or 8080.I love it. Its pushing 4 Sansui SP X9 speakers
    Joe

4. BrocLuno

BrocLuno Lunatic Member

Hmmm ...

I'm fond of mine too - real attached to it, but prettiest out there, I don't think so? I'm a giant fan of blue flouroscan. My Scotts are flouro along with my Pio stuff. But ...

The one that really sticks in my mind is an Onkyo - all rosewood and gold trim with Vu meters and such. Only saw it once and I can't find it, but will edit and post if I can. Absolutely gorgeous :)

5. RG11

RG11 New Member

Sometimes it's the simple things in life that can be so beautiful! Here's a picture of a custom made Music Reference EM7 amplifier that I had Roger Modjeski build for me. The solid Black Walnut chassis is just one of many modifications that I specified for this particular amp.

2 1/2 watts of absolute beauty and easy on the wallet too!

http://www.ramlabs-musicreference.com/EM7_C4_RM245/IMG_0026.jpg

6. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Active Member

Denon POA-8000
    Startup sequence from 7 was great too!
    Performance well not as good as they look but still very good on my Altecs.

7. Artie

Artie AK Subscriber Subscriber

They've already been mentioned, but I love those amps with the giant analog meters, like the Onkyo Grand Integra, Technics SE-A5, and others. Having said that, an honourable mention must go out to the Harman Kardon HK-870. Understated minimalism.

Attached Files:

8. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

Industrial magic. IMG_0855.JPG
    Japanese beauty. IMG_1097.JPG
    German perfection. IMG_1107.JPG

MarZutra and guiller like this.
  9. RDecartridge

RDecartridge "I hear, therefore I am" Subscriber

Luxman MB 3045s P2174970-001.JPG P2174975.JPG

guiller and sqlsavior like this.
  10. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

They do look good, don't they:
    1 fired up lit.jpg

1 fired up.jpg

But you need two since they are 50wpc Monaural Tube Basic Amplifiers according to the sales sheet

2 fired up.jpg

11. FauxHall

FauxHall Super Member

For simple and affordable elegance, I'd nominate the Marantz 1060 in a oiled walnut case.

Nice warm sound at 30 wpc and within reach for just about everyone.

They certainly sold a bunch!

12. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Just about any SS Mc with big blue power meters is my choice for looks. The newer, the better, for me.

I do think about replacing my modest Emotiva combo with a Mc sometimes... would have to be an integrated amp, though, for my cabinet. The cabinet definitely must stay, due to WAP and SAP (Self-Approval Factor). Have a growing kitty about to hit another growth spurt this week... McIntosh and Klipschorns, certainly a classic combination. It could happen... not convinced it would be a huge sonic upgrade - I like the XSP-1 - but the amp section should be an upgrade... whaddaya think? Worth the trouble? (Having to rearrange components in the cabinet is almost as big a factor as the expense, for us... I'm not being hyperbolic, either.)

13. MurrayLives

MurrayLives AK Subscriber Subscriber

These things are beautiful, in a masculine deco sort of way. Absolute beasts.

[​IMG]

14. MarZutra

MarZutra Super Member

Epicure M1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. vonclod

vonclod AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm with the OP on the Technics..so many nice looking amp though tbh.