Best Looking Receiver of all Time

For beauty both inside and out - my vote goes to this little guy:

sx12504.jpg

Whereas I think the Marantzes and Pioneers do look great, and I've always been especially fond of the '6' line of Kenwood receivers and their big lettering and meters, my very favorites are made by the Scandinavians. Especially B&O cant be beat for their innovative controls (the slide rule being the coolest input machanism on any piece of gear, IMHO).

Beomaster 2000
1560.jpg

Beomaster 3000-2
3000e.jpg

Tandberg TR-3030
43204753.jpg

And along similar lines, clean and elegant with really interesting interface and controls, I have to mention Nakamichi, who have deservedly won many design awards. I can't find a decent link but I've attached a pic of the downright sexy model 730 receiver.

Attachments

• nak730.jpg
    nak730.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 577
Hmmm.... Let me get this straight. A bunch of guys hanging around the internet on a Saturday night talking about which receivers are good looking.

You guys not gettin' any or what?? :)

My wife and I just put the last of the little critters to bed a few minutes ago. Finally, a little peace and quiet, for as long as I can stay awake..

having said that, I'm not sure if it makes me seem any less pathetic...

Classic and Clean!

I'm a less is more kind of guy. I'm partial to my McVintage MAC 1700. Nothing flashy about it other than the performance! Gotta love the Oiled up Walnut and the feel of solid build quality.

PHTO0015-1.jpg

PHTO0010.jpg

Some time back I bought an Akai AA-1200 just based on looks alone - I haven't even plugged it in yet!

It was an Akai AA-1200 that got me through college, and served in later years as a back up amplifier for DJ gigs. Darn stoutly built receiver. From what I understand it is still in use at my buddy's sister's place way up in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, where men are men and deer are nervous.

Th' Galaxy Commander... OK, OK, I'll be serious..My Hallicrafters SX-62 isn't quite what y'all are talkin' about, but to my jaundiced eye, its QUITE attractive.

Th' Galaxy Commander... OK, OK, I'll be serious..My Hallicrafters SX-62 isn't quite what y'all are talkin' about, but to my jaundiced eye, its QUITE attractive.

I agree with you 100% there. Some good looking Hallis out there. I gaze fondly at my SX-71 sometimes. Love the matte black finish and enormous band display.

ponderbear:

I gave an Optonica SA-4141 receiver and a pair of recapped Genesis 1+ speakers to my son.
Hey what are fathers for?
Of course the lawn cuttings and oil changes he does for me has NOTHING to do with it.

Yeah...I wouldn't believe it either.

Steve

I'm with PM Summer. I know this place is all about heavy metal, but visually? I was always drawn to the vintage HK look. Never owned one. Always thought they looked very nice. I think it's the green glow out of black glass and the economy of knobs and switches.

Tim

I don't know if I could pick a best. I like the looks of all the vintage receivers I own (only 4) and pretty much all the ones posted with pictures in this thread. But, being H/K has been brought up several times, I do really like the 030 series twin powereds. Here's my 730, it's not in my main system set up, but it gets more use than any piece I have. It's in my home office and is hooked up to the computer besides the usual sources. The picture's not the best, it doesn't bring out the great green/black contrast in the dial- dusty too.
Mike

Attachments

• P9230005_1.JPG
    P9230005_1.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 977
Back
Top Bottom