Best looking VU meters: New or old

SchweinHaus

VU meters. They're cool. They look sexy on any amp. You probably never need use them, but it's fun to watch them bounce.
Round or square, digital or analog, pictured in an amp or separate, what do you like?
Let's see em!

I prefer amps without meters. OTOH, I like them on RTR machines, where they are often quite handy. I've always liked the big Simpson meters on my 3M M-23 (edited to use close up):

9A132083-B8C5-4191-B1FE-76637178719A_zpsnu9t6gkb.jpg

Otto

Last edited:
AIWA 6900 cassette deck,whilst far from the biggest I've got,they're my faves because of their outstanding build quality.
2 needles in each window,so altogether that's 4 dancing needles during playback :smoke:

004_zps88a04661.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have aiwa 6900 series 2 cassette decks
Pristine shape but they need belts and stuff - i have been told that they are Hard to find parts
I have the skill to fix them if i can find the parts

I almost have the money and time to start looking

In amplifiers, McIntosh blue meters for the win. In tape machines, real VU meters on 3M, Ampex, Scully, MCI, Otari, and Studer. Not the sort of VU Meters that consumer machines used save for ReVox and Crown which had real VU Ballistic meters which fit the professional VU standards.

In amplifiers, McIntosh blue meters for the win. In tape machines, real VU meters on 3M, Ampex, Scully, MCI, Otari, and Studer. Not the sort of VU Meters that consumer machines used save for ReVox and Crown which had real VU Ballistic meters which fit the professional VU standards.

The Technics SH-9020 is a separate that actually is a "real" VU meter including a "peak hold" function.

I've seen those sucker go out for 500 dollars on ebay with "Revox, Otari, etc" in the tagline.

The little guy and I are partial to these

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN3009.jpg
    DSCN3009.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 569
  • DSCN3008.jpg
    DSCN3008.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
I like this style as well. It's pretty unique:
meter2.jpg

I liked the ones on that little cassette recorder as well.

As for me, I'm looking for round VU's with a black background and green backlit numbering. Any ideas? I've got a DIY project I'm trying to match a few things together and I'm having a hard time spotting something.

These Sony meter displays are tops! :thmbsp:

017.jpg

p018i2.jpg

To me Sony's P.P.M. meter display were the ultimate. So sophisticated, sleek and cool displays and with it's very unique design made the TOTL Sony TC-, TAE- class audio line products put them in a seperate class all their own.

Back
Top Bottom