Best looking VU meters: New or old

Had a van (shaggon-wagon) once that I custom built "vu" meters along the ceiling/wall edges going from back to front using 50 green / 10 yellow / 15 red, and about 5 miles of wire lol. Other colors weren't widely available back then. I wish I still had pics but I've lost them over the years.

I was always partial to these:

knight-kp-70-tube-amp-record-playback_1_42b2dfff35d1d619f8b51776fa0375bb.jpg

The best looking ones are on a Gates Radio Company, or Collins broadcast mixing console. These have Real VU meters, with VU ballistics.

Whoah. Finally found the look I was going for. I know it's not a VU, but I diiiig this look. They pretty rare: I saw one on CL and the information is negligible. But the look! I want two VU's like that. Otherwise, I'm probably going with the Onkyo M-504/508 in green, just based on pure aesthetics.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 19
VU meters, dB meters or just Power Meters designed to be pretty are just fine and although the first two will tell the user something about what is going on the Mid-70s Luxman gear provided a bit more information with LED power indication. Yes, I know this is about meters and there will be comments but wait there is more. The LEDs were in conjunction with the Meters.

Their top of the line gear the Laboratory Reference Series had a power amp with meters and an available LED display which could also be used with the same power amps sans meters. The 5M21 is the metered amp the 5E24 is the LED unit and the 5M20 is the non-metered amp. Google can find an image of these.

So you want all this in one package, there is the 50th Anniversary Series of Tim De Paravicini designed amplifiers the M-6000, 300 a side, the M-4000 at 180 and a smaller amp, don't know that he was the designer but same era, the M-2000. Just like Radio Shack with the meter/LED power monitor shown in post 75.

Meters.jpg

M-4000 lit up.jpg

But one device that has meters is the Aiwa AD-6900 (II) with dual needle meters. One is a VU meter and one is a peak reading meter on the same meter. These were cool to watch but sort of required some concentration to use properly.

Aiwa Dual Meters.jpg

50th Anniversary Series of Tim De Paravicini designed amplifiers the M-6000, 300 a side, the M-4000 at 180[/QUOTE

Further to the above pictures the meters have a 10X sensitivity position and the not in the mood for distraction position
otherwise known off.

Back
Top Bottom