best magazine

m444

im planning to subscribe to a hifi magazine. (english)

wich one would you recommend and why?

there should be attention to lots of music, but not just classical or jazz.
reviews should be fair and would be good if they speak the truth instead of wheeling the dealers in with all positive feedback.

im a vintage freak so any references to this is great.

i dont need lists of equipment page after page of what i should or should't buy
So i think "Hifichoice" and "what hifi" are out?

please give me your opinion ;)

kind regards
m444

I like Stereophile - it is high-end oriented, but it's inexpensive, they publish measurements with many of their equipment reports, and they have some interesting music articles and reviews (and their equipment reviewers often discuss music).

I like Stereophile - it is high-end oriented, but it's inexpensive, they publish measurements with many of their equipment reports, and they have some interesting music articles and reviews (and their equipment reviewers often discuss music).

+1
Regards,
Jim

+2.
They're good people.

I don't think there's been a decent hi-fi magazine since Sound Practices crashed except maybe Sensible Sound.

I think most of these magazines are delusional and I'm very wary of what they have to say, especially Stereophile and Absolute Sound both of which encourage most of the cockamamie notions so many audiophiles are saddled with. They exist to sell ads and project and protect the interests of those advertisers and the "high end" business, not the interests of the readers.

I don't think there's been a decent hi-fi magazine since Sound Practices crashed except maybe Sensible Sound.

I think most of these magazines are delusional and I'm very wary of what they have to say, especially Stereophile and Absolute Sound both of which encourage most of the cockamamie notions so many audiophiles are saddled with. They exist to sell ads and project and protect the interests of those advertisers and the "high end" business, not the interests of the readers.

you make a good point. and i know it to be true.
the best dutch magazine had to stop because they were to honest and didnt get any equipment to review.

but i still like reading about hifi and music. ill make up my own mind in the end ;)

the ads ill take for granted

I like Stereophile,Art Dudley is a wonderful writer who injects lots of humor.

I also like TAS(Absolute Sound) and UHF from montreal. They have a free advice section that I have used quite a bit.

They exist to sell ads and project and protect the interests of those advertisers and the "high end" business, not the interests of the readers.

Agreed. Let's not forget the 12-page white-van speaker ad (Theater Research) they published. Be wary of buying from any companies they advertise.

Have you taken a look at affordable audio or Tone?

haha duvel is one of my favourite belgian beers.:banana:

also try
tripel karmeliet

image002.jpg

its even better:thmbsp:

Keep in mind. Unless your rich as hell, these mags you speak of are merely wish books to oogle over. I've picked up a few issues of The Absolute Sound before. Really wicked gear to check out, usually some good music reviews....But, mostly it's guys using words like "shakti stone" or "dark field stabilizer" and the ever popular "not even sure how it works but it really makes the soundstage snap into focus..."

All those magazines are fun. Like the Robb Report sort of.

I wish I got free high-end gear to listen to. I'm poor.

most high end sets dont do it for me.
but i like reading about hifi. thats all folks.

ive done my share of tweaking and no mag is gonna change my mind.
but reading hifi mags keeps me up to date with the latest stuff en developements

I tend to sympathize with your point of view, because it's very simple and makes sense based on basic human behavior. Some people may quote the word "ethics", but I think this word has been abused so much that it makes little sense in the context of the contemporary global economy (i.e., after the fall of the Berlin wall).

As for the magazines, I gave a try to both "Stereophile" and "The absolute sound", and didn't like any of them. I miss the style, simplicity, plurality of opinions within and lucidity of the defunct "High Fidelity" magazine, to me the best magazine ever for audio/recordings reviews (classical) .

I wish I got free high-end gear to listen to. I'm poor.

You are not poor. you are smart.
I used to subscribe to those mags that consider a $3K amp. "affordable". and $6K speakers "within reach of most people" but no more. Now i can find any review of any component or album on line and the new e-mags have a more down to earth-technical approach, and some even post interior pics of components-speakers, something most publications don't bother with. I think manufacturers have no business interfering with a test-review, commenting or thanking the reviewer afterwards.
Also, the user-owner reviews are more valuable than any magazine's, printed or on line.

Hey guys, what are some of these "e-mags" (are there good blogs too?) that have supplanted traditional magazine subscriptions for you?

Thanks, this is a really helpful thread.

With a Jaundiced Eye...

I look at Stereophile, Absolute Sound AudioXpress and HiFi+ on the newsstand; I even buy the odd copy if there is an article that I think justifies in-depth examination. I also download Tone Audio.
If I find myself really interested in particular information instead of products, I buy a book on the subject. I have Get Better Sound (excellent) by Jim Smith, Good Sound (very practical) by Laura Dearborn, The Complete Guide to High-End Audio, Second Edition (some good explanations) by Robert Harley and a few books profiling various manufacturers. I just ordered Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms, by Floyd Toole.

Back
Top Bottom