Best Option for Yamaha Preamp: C2 v C2a v C4 v C6 ...???

Best Yamaha preamp: C2 v C2a v C4 v C6 -- for vinyl and CD playback.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The C-2x is a better pre than the C-70. Also much more expensive and rare.
Agreed with that.

He is now looking at the CX-2, an 800 buck 1993 unit or the C-70, an 800 buck 1983 unit. That C-2x is a 1300 buck unit from 85 and folks do like it. I'm happy with my rebuilt C-4

You should be able to get a good C-70 for less than half that price. Personally I would pick a C-80/85 over the C-70.

I like my recapped, resoldered C-80 a lot. I have run several sources through it and then direct to an amp and really couldn't tell the difference. That's about the best praise I can come up with for a preamp. I'm not huge into vinyl but I think it the phono pre sounds nice and has loafing options which is good I suppose.
I'm looking to pick up a C-2a or x out of curiosity but none have come up locally so that experiment will have to wait.

I'm not huge into vinyl but I think it the phono pre sounds nice and has loafing options which is good I suppose.

Well if you are not into phono much, those loafing options are really the absolute best way to go. I really like the three phono options I have on the C-4

Yamaha C-1 VFET blows all the previously mentioned pre-amps out of the water..All of them. Hands down. Ultra rare and uber-expensive.

Yamaha C-1 VFET blows all the previously mentioned pre-amps out of the water..All of them. Hands down. Ultra rare and uber-expensive.
Bu, bu, but that one isn't on the list. That is one cool looking preamp. Glad the manual was posted here on ak. nice doc in my files for future reference.

Hi: What do C1's sell for when they come up?

How do you rank the following, for a vinyl & CD user who likes blues and 60s/70s rock, and who loves reliability:

C2
Cx-2
C2-x
C4
C6
C60
C70
C80/85

I prefer the looks of the C4. The sliding parametric tone control on the C6 looks odd to me, and that combined balance volume pot isn't a fave design idea for me.

QUOTE="avionic, post: 10222688, member: 14955"]C-4 one of the best bangs for the buck.[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom