Best phono preamp under $200?

mhjmhjones

Hi - I know this gets asked fairly frequently, but the search feature on this forum isn't the best, so I'll ask again.

I'm looking to upgrade my phono preamp. I have a Dual 1229 and Nagaoka MP-110 cart (uninstalled - just arrived today). I ordered a Parasound ZPhono MM/MC from HiFi Heaven in Chicago - a demo for $159, but then I got an email that the Demo is no longer available yet is still listed for sale on their website several days after I made the purchase. They told me they'd sell me a new ZPhono for another $16. I told them to send me a new one for the same amount or refund my money.

Anyway, if they choose to refund, I will be back in the market for a preamp upgrade. What would you recommend and why? Thanks!

I should add that I've considered a Schiit Mani or Cambridge Audio preamps. I currently use a Bozak Madisson $40 preamp. Also, appearance does carry some weight with with me, since my system is in my living room.

Also, most of my records are used in the VG to VG+ condition. Mostly try to only buy VG+ or better these days.

Last edited:
I bought a Little Bear T11 several months ago and have absolutely loved it. I also have used the U-Turn Pluto, which is very nice and a great value, but nonadjustable MM only.

Whatever you buy, you owe it to yourself to get a $49 ART DJ Pre II and do a shootout. It may surprise you. I've heard it blow away $300 pres. And I'm picky as heck.

Good to know! Turns out HiFi Heaven is going to send me a new Parasound ZPhono for the price they quoted me for the used Demo version since I called their bluff on the bait and switch shakedown they tried to pull. So, I'll be comparing the ART DJ Pre II to a Parasound someday.

Good to know! Turns out HiFi Heaven is going to send me a new Parasound ZPhono for the price they quoted me for the used Demo version since I called their bluff on the bait and switch shakedown they tried to pull. So, I'll be comparing the ART DJ Pre II to a Parasound someday.
I'd be curious to hear that one as it does MC.

I had the Schiit Mani (which also does MC) and did a shootout with the ART. They both performed admirably, very different presentations. ART has lovely air and dimensionality. Schiit is very smooth tonally. Ended up selling the Schiit to a customer who wanted the MC option.

I have sold a bunch of the ARTs. The sound and the price makes the sale. I don't have to do anything but plug it in.

One more time. If you can DIY the CNC will butt heads with anything under a grand. No kidding.

When I got back into records I used a Mani for a while with some pretty high end equipment. It fared very well. I now have a Whest Audio Two.2. The Mani wouldn't come close to the Whest, but it wasn't embarrassed either. I tried, and returned, a couple of other $500 or less pieces before discovering the Mani. There is some really bad stuff out there in that price range!

Back
Top Bottom