Best place to learn electronics and stereo repair for a total noob?

bane.oh

Hi everyone,

I have been building my HiFi system for some time now, and I think I am finally satisfied with the results. My system largely consists of gear I have purchased second hand over the years. Most of it has been serviced and upgraded by qualified technicians, but I know with older gear something eventually goes wrong. I have been eager to dip my toe in to learning to solder and read circuit diagrams so I can attempt to repair and maybe mod some of my existing gear but I don't know the best place to start.

I recently picked up an old Magnavox console with a tube amplifier. I would love to bring it back to it's former glory, and since it is from 1960 or so I figure it would be a simple place to start. Of course I know it can be dangerous, and I have read all about the precautions, but before I get too deep I want to get some basic knowledge of circuit boards and all the funny symbols and such. Where should a freshman like me start down this path? Thanks!

If you are the self-taught type, absorb these two tomes and you will be a long way toward your goal:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Electron...137679&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Art+of+Electronics
51oDPY4SbfL._SX380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Ele...ndbook+for+electronics+engineering+technician
51GUJR3Yw2L._SX392_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Enjoy,
Rich P

If you're basically starting from zero I think the Make Electronics series offers a good basic experience. Easily digestible learning that's hands on. In my opinion self learning only through denser text works for those have a closely related experience with the subject.

Make will allow you to get familiar with components and to build circuits. Progress onto the next Make level or give the NEETS a read or both. Tube stuff after getting comfortable with building solid state circuits.

If you go in that direction I think online retailer Electronics Goldmine sells a prepackaged kit with all the needed Make components.

https://www.amazon.com/Make-Electro..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=9YZ4HVFEA247T9DN0FTP

A note about the NEETS stuff. The Navy’s Basic Electronics/Electrical school was “self-taught” (computer based 1986 for me) based on the NEETS modules

Tubes are going to be different to learn than solid state but basic electronics will be the same

If you're basically starting from zero I think the Make Electronics series offers a good basic experience. Easily digestible learning that's hands on. In my opinion self learning only through denser text works for those have a closely related experience with the subject.

Make will allow you to get familiar with components and to build circuits. Progress onto the next Make level or give the NEETS a read or both. Tube stuff after getting comfortable with building solid state circuits.

If you go in that direction I think online retailer Electronics Goldmine sells a prepackaged kit with all the needed Make components.

https://www.amazon.com/Make-Electro..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=9YZ4HVFEA247T9DN0FTP
Thanks for this. It seems like the perfect place to start. Electronics Goldmine has the kit for half the price of Amazon too, cheers.

Since I got my little maggie console cleaned up and working, hooked in to the tape in, I am not in a hurry to rebuild it. I will pull the speakers next as I'm sure they will need a refoam, but then I'll just pick up a cheap component at Goodwill or something to putz around with until I get good at soldering, etc. She actually sounds pretty great right now, it will be interesting to see what she sounds like after a recap. I would really like to get the FM radio working (AM works) but I'm not sure where to start.

I want to get some basic knowledge of circuit boards and all the funny symbols and such. Where should a freshman like me start down this path? Thanks!
Google searches will give all of that information. I’ve learned a lot doing them when I have a repair on my bench.

Thanks for this. It seems like the perfect place to start. Electronics Goldmine has the kit for half the price of Amazon too, cheers.

Since I got my little maggie console cleaned up and working, hooked in to the tape in, I am not in a hurry to rebuild it. I will pull the speakers next as I'm sure they will need a refoam, but then I'll just pick up a cheap component at Goodwill or something to putz around with until I get good at soldering, etc. She actually sounds pretty great right now, it will be interesting to see what she sounds like after a recap. I would really like to get the FM radio working (AM works) but I'm not sure where to start.

Your console would be a great place to start learning electronics. The soldering will be point to point and will be easier to do than a pcb for most beginners. Most of the time a change of capacitors will get them sounding good. When you get ready to tackle it make a thread in the tube section and you'll find plenty of help there.

I know you want to listen to your Magnavox but if it hasn't had new caps installed you are taking a chance of blowing your output transformer if something should go wrong.

Regarding your tuner with the non working FM section, there is a strong likelihood one or more tubes in the FM section are weak/dead. Simply replacing them will probably fix your problem since AM is working. If you will disclose your general location a local fellow AK member with a tube tester might be willing to assist you. Also I recommend you become an AK subscriber for a mere $25 annually. This opens the door for you to AK’s Barter Town section where you can find a wealth of assistance and parts/replacement tubes, etc.

Back
Top Bottom