best pressing of Meet the Beatles

jerseyben

Looking for suggestions on the best sounding pressing of Meet the Beatles. Preferably a copy that is actually obtainable, not necessarily just because it is rare.

I would just get the new Mono copy that came out last month.

It will be new, dead quiet and faithful to the original.

Meet the Beatles was not reissued in Mono last month, just the UK albums were reissued.

I have a CD in a Beatles' US albums box set (The Capitol Albums, Volume 1 from 2004), with both stereo and mono mixes, but not a vinyl copy.

Last edited:
There are gazillions of Meet The Beatles. I have a mono Rainbow. The key is finding one in good shape. I would suggest a Capitol 80s reissue with the Purple dome label...if I am not mistaken there may be some 80s reissues with the Capitol rainbow label also.

And I would pick up the Capitol Meet The Beatels Mono/Stereo version released earlier this year on cd....yeah I know you want the vinyl but it is nice to have a cd version to compare all the versions.

Last edited:
I think I am going to get the 180 gram 2012 reissue of With the Beatles instead.

Can anyone recommend it?

"With The Beatles" is one of the GREATS - but no "I Want To Hold Your Hand"!!

Of course, that is easily enough gotten.

I would just get the new Mono copy that came out last month.

It will be new, dead quiet and faithful to the original.

Meet the Bealtes wasn't released in 2014 as part of the mono reissues.

The best pressing besides a super clean original rainbow would be the late 1970's Capitol issue on the purple label.

Meet the Bealtes wasn't released in 2014 as part of the mono reissues.

The best pressing besides a super clean original rainbow would be the late 1970's Capitol issue on the purple label.

Would that be a T2047 which I found at the thrift the other day?

For Capitol Records, T = Mono and ST = Stereo. So you've got an original 1960's mono pressing.

Ok, so most of you have recommended the 2014 MONO re-issue vs the 2012 Stereo re-issue.

I have heard both versions many times.

What makes you recommend the MONO version over Stereo?

Ok, so most of you have recommended the 2014 MONO re-issue vs the 2012 Stereo re-issue.

I have heard both versions many times.

What makes you recommend the MONO version over Stereo?

Again, Meet The Beatles wasn't reissued in MONO in 2014. The closest you'll get to that is the 2014 reissue of With The Beatles, which is basically comprised of tunes from both Meet The Beatles and The Beatles Second Album.

I'm with those here saying that getting an original , or even just an early version of T-2047 is the way to go. I've got a copy from '65 or '66 or so, and it has a great live sound and presence. I haven't heard the later purple label version though, so I can't comment on that. I had a '70s Apple version of Meet The Beatles, but I ended giving that one away. I never liked the stereo version of that really. The mono is kickin'!

I guess if you're dead set or nostalgic on getting a copy of "Meet The Beatles" an original mono would be the way to go. Although the early 80's stereo pressing isn't too bad, but may contain some fake stereo tracks. That said...most Capitol Beatles albums are sourced from 3rd or 4th generation tapes, further EQ'd and random echo added by Dave Dexter. The limiting Capitol(and most labels) used during the 60's doesn't help either. Resulting in an emphasis on the midrange and pinched bass and treble frequency.

One of the best sounding of the new vinyl mono UK remasters is "With The Beatles". Even when compared to an original mono UK. The remaster has a warmer, fuller and more dynamic sound, without the prominent midrange and compression found on 1st pressing UK's. A copy of "Meet The Beatles" doesn't come close to an original UK or remastered "With" IMO. You can always find a UK reissue 45 of "I Want To Hold Your Hand", since it's mot on WTB. Just my 2 cents.

One more thing to consider is the current cost of an original mono "Meet The Beatles" in ex-nm condition. I haven't bought any 60's US Beatles albums in years. So have no idea what a mono MTB in great condition brings theses days. I'm betting a lot more(2 to 3 times) than the cost of the remastered mono WTB.

Last edited:
Again, Meet The Beatles wasn't reissued in MONO in 2014. The closest you'll get to that is the 2014 reissue of With The Beatles, which is basically comprised of tunes from both Meet The Beatles and The Beatles Second Album.

You might want to reverse that. The US (and Canadian) Capitol versions where the "modified" versions.

You might want to reverse that. The US (and Canadian) Capitol versions where the "modified" versions.

Right! I was actually thinking about that as I wrote that. I was of course just trying to describe the difference between With The Beatles and Meet The Beatles.

Back
Top Bottom