best pressing of Meet the Beatles

Cool stuff, Tom.

I'll always remember my first KISS albums being played on this -

il_340x270.668212654_1tm0.jpg

Gents;

Thank you Karmices for pointing me in the direction of MFSL stuff. I am going to add that Moody's album to my collection and it's just a matter of which one.

I've spent some time looking over Ebay and found one a guy wanted $400 for. I'm not going to do that. Many of them are over in Europe.

There are $25 unopened originals there and that may be an option. too.

What I'm looking for here is an album I can tape, so a fresh one is in order. I have a reel to reel in 3 3/4 ips but they put Never Comes the Day is tacked on to the end of the first side. It's picky but I think that spoiled it. None of the rest of the first seven albums are like that, just that one. The two sides of Children's are exchanged but it's no biggie to turn that around.

I would record it on the end of a pancake, slice it off and wind it up on a empty 7
" reel. And who knows, maybe print out some art work and paste it on the box, too. What ever. I want to record that album from a good source, put the record back in the cover and just listen to the tape, then.

This thread started out as a Meet the Beatles thread and it has gone off a bit.

I know I said that I read about Addey Road being the first stereo only album released by the Beatles. But, the new mono collection doesn't include Yellow Submarine. If the set is a good reproduction of the original records produced, then YS was the first stereo only album.

Correcting a mistake,

Lu.

Last edited:
The "Yellow Submarine" LP was originally released in the UK on vinyl in mono, but it was a "fold down" of the stereo mix. So the "White Album" was the last "true" mono Beatles album released in the UK or anywhere else.

There were also mono fold down mixes of YS, AR and LIB released on 5" UK reel to reels.....pretty rare as a collectible, but not worth listening to IMO. A mono button engaged, will pretty much give you the same effect from the stereo mix.

Last edited:
Back off the subject, again

I've spent some time looking but haven't bought yet.

Right now, there are a few Moody Blues 'Threshold of' albums,new, on Ebay. I'd like to ask what you think. I passed up the MFSL album that was sold in Denmark, it might have been a reasonable purchase, though, but there are new, 2014 pressings from 'Music on vinyl' out there on Ebay, priced in the $30 range. I've looked over the web page but I have no experience with the audiophile pressings at all. I've read some comments, about albums, here on this forum both good and not so good and I would like to know what you people think of 'M.on V.' albums, if anyone can say.

Please, write back,

Lu.

Other than the two tracks from the mono single sides (I.W.T.H.Y.H. and This Boy), the "mono" MEET THE BEATLES has the rest folded down from the stereo.
The two best vinyl sources, though, would be (either): an original rainbow label copy pressed on the west coast (distinguishable with the jacket title IN OLIVE GREEN instead of brown) or an '80s purple label -with the SMALL DOME LOGO- which was notably remastered at the time by the respected Wally Traugott.

Might look for a reel tape from the early period? These are around for reasonable money if you're patient.Thread brought back from 2014, still interesting.

Meet Beatles tape reel.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom