Best Receiver

Larry

Opinions requested regarding the best Mcintosh receivers. I just bought a 1900, thinking about adding a 1700 or 4100 - or should I go separates. Obviously, a greater expense, if I went with separates, what would a starter setup consist of?
Larry

Stereofishermusciman

Can't comment on the 1900 or 1700 other than I would like to listen to them someday. I did own a Mac 4100 and it was OK but did not overly impress me. In all fairness though I have done some serious system upgrades in the last 2 1/2 years with better speakers that I did not have at the time. It might be interesitng to run it on my current JBL L100's.

Gave the 4100 to my 21 year old son (who loves it) I fiddled with a Denon Home Theater Receiver:( which I sold to a kid at work. Yech! I got a Mac MA 6100 intergrated amp. While the build quality is good on the 4100, the MA 6100 is much nicer. Its chrome chassis sings quality. Mine came with a really nice cabinet. Gave the amp a good cleaning. Seller included a half inch of dust--no charge. The cabinet had years worth of grunge. After an hour of polishing it came back.. Near mint. I am on my second year with the 6100. I like it a lot better than the reciever. I would like to hear it with the JBL's and judge it again. In all fairness. Try getting it away from my son. That will not happen. The MA 6100 is on my short list of not for sale stuff. Its been great--with tons of inputs. Beleive me I use EVERY one. All for $359 with freight off Ebay. I got very lucky:D No one way paying attention that day. Did not think I would get it.

Regards,

Eric

I like the 1700, especially with the tuner tuner which is the 1 place I can't seem to satisfactorly replace with a ss tuner. Always seem to need a tube tuner in the system.

The Mac4100 is the MA6200 and MR75 on one chassis. Sold lots when new and is my favorite Mac Receiver.

Ron-C

It's a tossup for me, MAC4100 for SS and MAC1500 for Tube (hybrid). Each has its own virtues and speakers that sound good on one may not on the other.

Duh, have we left any analog receiver out as being top notch? Think the consensus is that all of them are worth getting.

Back
Top Bottom