Best resource for learning how to repair reel to reel machines?

allourep

I have a Sony TC-377 and I have no idea how to even begin diagnosing issues with it.

I was sad to discover that there are virtually no go-to resources in regard to tape machine maintenance.

I joined a forum called tapeheads and none of my posts get responses.

Aside from looking for a good resource for learning how to operate on these old reel to reels, perhaps some of you might be able to help me with my current reel to reel problems

My TC-377 will not let me select "Play" the knob refuses to select it. I can only RR, FF and Stop.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

With respect, you've posted 5 times on Tapeheads and you've had a number of replies, including one asking you to refrain from making repetitive posts. Perhaps you should review the way you asked the questions and modify them to add what ALL the issues are, as there seems to be more that one and you've checked. Just like any problem with other complex pieces of equipment, there isn't a magic answer to the issues you have nor an al encompassing manual its trial and error. But as a start, get the service manual for free from HiFi Engine.

First I have to agree with dnash above. I am not sure how similar (internal design) of your TC-377 is to my TC-255 but I was able to get a lot of "self-help" by searching on this form and others (generally using Good Search). While I did get my Dad's (originally bought) TC-255 fully operational, I did end up buying a sweet one of eBay and my Dad's ended up being a donor. I am just now listening to my 1st full recording of songs from my iPhone. I started to work on this project around Jan 20th when I joined this forum.

Anyways, enough about my "case study". If yours is anything like mine - you need to pull the cover off and check for dried up grease and previous attempted repairs. You need to get a baseline of what is going on inside - as Skywavebe pretty much suggested on the tapeheads.net forums. If anything be prepared for folks that dislike Sony's (if the 377 is single motor like my 255) but I say with a little work, some luck on parts, you might end up with a nice machine - I know I did.

I have a Sony TC-377 and I have no idea how to even begin diagnosing issues with it.

I was sad to discover that there are virtually no go-to resources in regard to tape machine maintenance.

I joined a forum called tapeheads and none of my posts get responses.

Aside from looking for a good resource for learning how to operate on these old reel to reels, perhaps some of you might be able to help me with my current reel to reel problems

My TC-377 will not let me select "Play" the knob refuses to select it. I can only RR, FF and Stop.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Basically... and most likely... assuming nothing has been abuse, bending mechanical parts out of shape... the machine, it's transport mechanism, is gummed up with old, dried, hardened lubricant. You will need to disassemble, clean, lightly lube, reassemble, and check operation. Expect all switches to be in need of cleaning or missing, bad channels are to expected along with possible oscillating producing a loud squawk in the electronics, often pinning the VU meter.. you might be lucky though and the switches won't make a problem. Clean them anyway. Good machine.

Here is a link to one of the threads you posted on Tapeheads.net and the response you received from Skywavebe. Have you investigated the possible causes for your problem that he suggested? If so, you should respond by indicating that you did and what you found rather than opening new threads on the same topic.

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=62938

Oh my god. I never received any notification that I was receiving replies. I had been refreshing the thread all evening without response then gave up. Thanks for pointing that out

With respect, you've posted 5 times on Tapeheads and you've had a number of replies, including one asking you to refrain from making repetitive posts. Perhaps you should review the way you asked the questions and modify them to add what ALL the issues are, as there seems to be more that one and you've checked. Just like any problem with other complex pieces of equipment, there isn't a magic answer to the issues you have nor an al encompassing manual its trial and error. But as a start, get the service manual for free from HiFi Engine.

Im just realizing that I was getting responses on those threads all this time. What a mess. I assumed I would receive some notification on tapeheads that my thread has a reply. I assumed the threads were being buried. Thanks for letting me know.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Im off to a mess of a situation here with getting to know forum etiquette. Thanks for baring with me.

The thing about the play selector not working is that it was working absolutely perfectly for months and then this morning refused to select play. Strange

Im just realizing that I was getting responses on those threads all this time. What a mess. I assumed I would receive some notification on tapeheads that my thread has a reply.

No, Tapeheads.net doesn't operate like Facebook which will send you a message when someone makes a comment in response to a post you have started. You need to check back periodically to see if there have been any responses. If there have been responses, the thread moves up closer to the top of the thread list and its title is highlighted in bold text.

Now the knob is working again...

So I guess I must have loosened the gunk just by repeatedly turning the knob.

It sounds like your best course of action at this point is to follow the recommendations about cleaning and lubricating the mechanism.

And as you've been told "over there" go and get the manual - it's free on HiFi Engine.... :)

And as far as the core question of your thread title goes, look around for books/websites on the theory of magnetic recording, and read a few professional machine service manuals if you can get ahold of them. That will cover the theory of what's supposed to be happening in your machine, and help you understand the 'block diagram' that is similar is all machines. The Sony service manual will then clue you in to how "bias amplifier" or "supply reel braking" or "capstan speed control" is done in your specific machine. For example, "capstan speed control" could be as elementary as line frequency synchronous motor, or as fancy as PLL crystal controlled with varispeed override and external speed slewing for timecode post-production sync.

Back
Top Bottom