Best SACD players of 2014

Denon DBT-3313

I have the Denon DBT-3313 running via the Denon HD-Link with a AVR-X5200w and can honest to god say it's the best optical player I've ever had (with similar results for both Video and Audio Blu-Ray sources). My Getz/Gilberto SACD absolutely shines on this. Couldn't be happier. My Pioneer PD-10 had an ongoing issue with an overly emphasised bass reproduction, but the Denon just gets it spot on.

1372425019.jpeg

For me, my Marantz SA-15S2 has been satisfying my appetite for CDs and SACD for nearly three years now. For perspective in order of brightness:

Rega Saturn (original) - brightest
MF V-90 DAC - bright but nice
Rega Apollo (original) - just about right
Marantz SA-15S2 - darkest, but favorite for me (vinyl heritage :))

I've upgraded my preamp and amps and it's just kept up, sounding better each time downstream clarity has improved. It doesn't sound "rolled off", to me at least, YMMOMNV. My silver one is no longer sold here (I think), but apparently has been resurrected in black as the Marantz SA-15S2B.

:music:

The Oppo BDP-103 (for $499 here: https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/ ) is the BDP I should have bought instead of this POS Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD I bought (trying to save $100).

Pioneer repaired the unit for me less than a year ago. It had a number of problems, including:
  • if I played stereo SACDs, the player produced this weird, annoying, and potentially tweeter-frying high-pitched tone. The odd thing was that if I played a 5.1 SACD first, it wouldn't produce the tone for the multi-channel disk, and then I could also, after removing the 5.1 disc, put the stereo disc back in and it would play fine.
  • It would often make a loud, buzzing sound when playing Blu Ray discs.
  • The drawer mechanism was a mess.
So I sent the machine to Pioneer, and they repaired it, and it worked fine ... for a while. Now those first two issues are back. I've resolved the first issue by having the player deliver its output via PCM (articles like this one make me think it's irrelevant whether you output bitstream of PCM from your player: http://www.soundandvision.com/content/pcm-vs-bitstream#sSL1g27L21i3KRw8.97 ). I certainly can't hear any difference.

But the recurrence of that second issue might just be enough to cause me to dump the Pioneer unit (it was $399) and upgrade to an Oppo.

My vote goes to Marantz UD7007, I tried Oppo BDP105 earlier this year in comparison, Marantz sounded better in my 2 channel playing CD,SACD,DVD-A.

"Marantz UD7007 does DSD. The graph has a little notation saying that if the receiver Marantz is connected to can't handle DSD, it converts to PCM."

I posted this elsewhere; but haven't gotten a reply yet, so....
Has anyone compared the Marantz UD7007 with the SA8005? In some respects the UD7007 audio specs are better than the 8005. Is this a hidden gem?
I am looking to upgrade from an Oppo DV-980H (a bit bright and transport not the best). If I have to save my allowance for an 8005 or Oppo 105; I'll be hard of hearing before I get it.
Looking for a bargain.

I posted this elsewhere; but haven't gotten a reply yet, so....
Has anyone compared the Marantz UD7007 with the SA8005? In some respects the UD7007 audio specs are better than the 8005. Is this a hidden gem?
I am looking to upgrade from an Oppo DV-980H (a bit bright and transport not the best). If I have to save my allowance for an 8005 or Oppo 105; I'll be hard of hearing before I get it.
Looking for a bargain.

Mainly I use UD7007 for WAV/FLAC playback and I no longer buys SACD or CDs.
I auditioned UD7007,Oppo BDP105 and SA8005 in local store with MC separates, B&W D804 towers, I choose UD7007 for better functionality and sound quality. Here is the AH review and measurements Marantz UD7007

Mainly I use UD7007 for WAV/FLAC playback and I no longer buys SACD or CDs.
I auditioned UD7007,Oppo BDP105 and SA8005 in local store with MC separates, B&W D804 towers, I choose UD7007 for better functionality and sound quality. Here is the AH review and measurements Marantz UD7007

Thanks for the reply. At $250 less than the SA8005, the UD7007 seems like a a good bet.

Does the 7007 output DSD via HDMI?
The manual says it does if configured that way in the user menu.
The retailer I was looking at is out of stock and doesn't ship this model outside the USA for some reason. Accessories4less
The only other ones I can find are $200-$250 more, so no price advantage over the SA8005.

Last edited:
Try Acoustic Sounds. I hope they will ship to Europe. They have a huge selection in all genre's. Enough to eat up my allowance for some time. They also have a few DVD-As and HDCDs. They even sell some of Mofi's older SACDs for less than MoFi.

Well, it's 2 1/2 months since my first post and the search for the best SACD player around $500 (maybe $800) goes on. I give up trying to figure out is DSD to analog without PCM really makes a difference. If it sounds good it sounds good. I can't find any Marantz SA8004s or reasonable priced Oppo BDP-95s. I may buy a used Oppo 103. If I am not blown away; I can always start searching for an outboard DAC. I wish there was somewhere nearby that I could hear any of this gear! All the Oppo "dealers" are installers without showrooms. I wonder if Oppo would let me compare a 103 and a 105 at the same time?

Thanks for letting me rant. At least I bought 3 new SACDs and a new DVD-A to play on my DV-980H.

I've got both a Marantz SA8005 and an Oppo 105D. Different systems, different parts of the house. I can't say I've noticed any real difference in SACD playback.

My Oppo BDP-95 arrives tomorrow! Unfortunately, I won't have time to play with it for awhile. I can let it burn in then compare it with my NAD C546BEE for redbook. Hopefully, I'll be able to sell the NAD and re-invest the proceeds. Thanks for all the advice!

Congrats on purchase. Did you get a new BDP-95? If not, then it should already be 'burned in', no?

No, it's not new; but it may not have been played much. Especially the analog audio section. It's from a corporate conference room.

Back
Top Bottom