Best Sansui Integrated Amps

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by bjarmson, Apr 30, 2006.

1. melofelo

melofelo Addicted Member

the au 719 is a lovely sleeper amp too...i've never heard another sansui so can't make comparisons..and it isn't quite totl..but it makes great music

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bjarmson

bjarmson Well-Known Member

Just want to thank everyone for the info. Is this a great site, or what!

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  3. Morden2004

Morden2004 Relaxin'

I recently had an AU-719 in for service and when it was all cleaned up and adjusted to spec, I tried it against my G-8000 (and my AU-999 as well) and I (and you I suspect) was (would be) unable to pick out the AU-719 from the G-8000 blindfolded using the same source material and the same speakers.

The AU-999 does have a slightly mellow sound and in that comparison I leaned a bit to the AU-999 over the AU-719 - just my personal preference.

However, in all aspects the AU-719 was spectacular - just another terrific Sansui amp. :thmbsp:

Paul

4. Jace

Jace Well-Known Member

I'm a little partial to the AU-9500 or the AU-717... but that's just me being sentimental

bluesky likes this.
  5. Redcatcher199th

Redcatcher199th FREEDOM Isnt FREE TYVETS

thanks paul well I know what sound you are talking about :music:

6. R2R Forever

R2R Forever New Member

My choice is an AU 7900. I have three of them, one that I bought new in '75. Underated at 75 WPC, triple tone control and all of the controls makes it a winning combination IMO. They sound great. I have tried a lot of the newer ones like 717 but for me the AU-7900 sound better.

7. john_w

john_w Miscreant

OK, now I'm starting to rethink this...

If I'm not mistaken the AU-7900 would be a "little brother" of the AU-9900, correct? That's my "missing link" - I went from the AU-9500 straight to the AU-717. My older brother used to sell Sansuis, and thinks the company's integrateds actually peaked at that the AU-9900. From this and other comments I've heard, I'm beginning to wonder if most would actually prefer the AU-X900 units, even over the X19 line-up.

8. Jesse Garron

Jesse Garron You may know my brother

Funny, I've been looking for an int amp, and the one I'm eyeballing now is a 7900. The flip switches are a little odd, but apparently it has great sound. I do like the three tone controls too. Anyone have one they could part with? R2R, I'd be glad to help.

I also watched Hi Fidelity last night, so that kind of pushed me over the edge.

Thanks,

JG

9. nosirrah

nosirrah Moderator Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Au5900/7900

Was there ever an AU8900?
    AU6900?
    Casey

10. john_w

john_w Miscreant

According to sansui.us, front numbers ran consecutively, 2-7. An "AU8900" is mysteriously absent. :scratch2: But they do list an AU6900.

11. Morden2004

Morden2004 Relaxin'

And, to make the mystery of the missing model numbers more complicated, how about the AU-3300? It seems that Sansui did issue these but not 1 has been seen on eBay in the three years I've been logging sales!

Or, the AU-117 II is also shown as a model made by Sansui but again, 0 units seen on eBay.

Paul

12. Stene

Stene The Introducer

But I have one for my computer S/N 839041956

13. Morden2004

Morden2004 Relaxin'

Thank you, Sten. That's the first sighting of an AU-117 II for the Sansui database. I have added your s/n to the database.

But, that begs the question: What other exotica have you got hidden at your place? :lmao: :lmao:

Paul

14. Stene

Stene The Introducer

He he :D
    Found another one. CD-V550R. S/N 65100450 (White sticker, maybe preproduction sample for electrical security approval)

15. Morden2004

Morden2004 Relaxin'

Yup, odd s/n for sure - it's missing a digit. That's not good for a digital-based machine :lmao:

Paul

16. melofelo

melofelo Addicted Member

"I recently had an AU-719 in for service and when it was all cleaned up and adjusted to spec, I tried it against my G-8000 (and my AU-999 as well) and I (and you I suspect) was (would be) unable to pick out the AU-719 from the G-8000 blindfolded using the same source material and the same speakers.

The AU-999 does have a slightly mellow sound and in that comparison I leaned a bit to the AU-999 over the AU-719 - just my personal preference.

However, in all aspects the AU-719 was spectacular - just another terrific Sansui amp. "

i hope one day to make those comparisons for myself :thmbsp: am developing a craving for a sansui ' sparring ' partner ... :D and either a baby G or au 999 would fit the bill...and hopefully the budget for a second system

17. c3conv

c3conv Active Member

You don't mind explaining what you meant by "mellow"? As I am not from the US I can only guess the meaning of some of the terms used in describing an experience on the sound.

18. Morden2004

Morden2004 Relaxin'

Ah, the ugly business of trying to describe acoustic nuances in the english language.

I guess I'd have to describe 'mellow' as meaning more boost in the mid range frequencies - almost the opposite of a LOUDNESS control.

Paul

19. c3conv

c3conv Active Member

I got what you meant. Sometimes it is hard to share these musical experiences when you only have the opportunity to listen and compare with whatever set up you only have in the house. It is even harder when most of your friends does not have the hobby you have. I hope you understand. That's why audiokarma has been a big help to me.
    By the way, some use the term "warm" to describe the sound from amps. Does this mean the sound specially the high frequencies are not very sharp to the ears?

20. Morden2004

Morden2004 Relaxin'

I think 'warm' and 'mellow' are probably the same. It suggests a strong presence in the mid-ranges but it doesn't mean that there is a lack of treble or bass. Too much trebel is generally seen as 'bright' and too much bass as 'boomy' - or words to that effect.

Paul