Best single-player RB playback--MCD205 or MVP 861?

kristian85

What do you folks think?

Also, which transport/chipset is the MVP861 based on? Sony? Just asking because I want to stay away from Philips SACD transports....
Thanks!

I think the MVP851 sounds better than the MVP861 for CD playback, I have not compaired the MCD205. As far as I know the MVP851 is the only one of these three that has upsampling for CD playback. I find the upsampling on the MVP851 slightly improves the high frequencies.

I would love to have a MVP861 for its ability to play sacd and use a MDA1000 for cd playback with the MVP861 as transport. :)

Victor

Funny, the wife and I were discussing this very thing last night. When we recently demo'd a MX135 we had the opportunity of listening to the Mcd205 and Mvp851. We both agreed that the Mvp851 sounded better musically. Video was very very good as well. We were told that the picture quality on the Mvp861 would be better, plus it adds SACD and the ability to play PAL AND NTSC discs. I dont know about you all but I intend to get one as soon as the budget allows. No more region restrictions. Our test disc was Brother In Arm's by Dire Straits. It's a standard redbook run of the mill cd. Since both units were already hooked up we did a quick and simple A/B, using "Ride Across The River" and "The Mans Too Strong" as our test tracks. Both are demanding in their own way if you are familiar with them. We both liked the Mvp851 better from the moment the cd began playing.

As a side note, Yesterday I went to northern Virgina, to pick up a Mld7020 Laser disc player. My older pioneer crapped out a while ago and I wanted to keep the rack all Mc so I found this one to replace it. Looks like its never been out out of the box and the remote lookes unused and still in the wrapper. We played Brothers In Arms again, and began grinning immediately. Nothing but sweet sweet sound. Better than my first generation Mcd7000, my Sony S900 ES, AND My Sony Dvp S7000. All of them I liked...notice the work liked! For dvds they are fine but come up lacking in the sound dept. I feel their future is in question. I think a Mvp861 is right around the corner. Not sure about the chipset, but I dont thinks its Sony. My Mdc7000 was based on the Philips I think. Ron C. would be the guy to ask. He is the knower of all thing Mc!

Artie

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom