Best songs for testing bass response?

There must be at least a dozen threads on this subject by now.

As always, my candidate is "Jump Into the Fire" by Harry Nilsson. The part where Herbie Flowers unwinds his E-string has what you need.

Now, obviously the source can't be YouTube for any of these ;)

For testing studio monitors:
(Spoiler: Genelecs always win)

and:

Bass & Beatlesque "hard pan" stereo:

For high-end systems:

It occurred to me that while I love the first three of the four songs I recommended for checking bass, especially "Juice"...
I'm guessing not a lot of people will actually have any of those three songs in their collection. So I racked my brain and came up with something everybody knows by heart and most here will actually own :)

I'd like to add one more obscure song though.
When stress testing a computer we use "power virus" programs like Prime95 and FurMark.
Out of my whole record collection here's my favorite song for "stress testing" any audio setup:

(Warning: most of you will be cursing me about a minute into this song! But that's just YouTube butchering the audio quality and in a way proving my point)

Reggae, especially some of the late 70s-early 80s stuff on Greensleeves, produced by Henry Lawes (e.g., Barrington Levy’s Englishman or Robin Hood or Hugh Mundell’s Mundell) or the dub versions by Scientist.

Also, Public Image Ltd.’s Metal Box album. Especially the original triple 12-inch version. The US version, called Second Edition, will do, but is not quite as bass heavy as the 12”.

The Specials’ “Gangsters” single. The original single version has more bass than I’ve ever heard on any 7-inch record.

Back
Top Bottom