Best sounding phones for less than 100.00

I too am lookin' for some good phones in this price area...Wew got a Jaycar here in Cairns so I will go there tomorra and have a look-see. Until I read your posts here tonite CUBDOG I would nevva have guessed that Jaycar would feature such product quality when it comes to headphones.
Sure I go in often for electronics parts ie circuit components etc but there we go...Thanks for the heads-up mate :)

You're welcome. They are excellent headphones. I hope you like them.

cubdog

... even though I don't think the entry-level Grado models are that bright at all after break-in, and I hate bright.

I agree. Bright out of the box, after break in, not so much. I also now suspect that a lot of it has to do with one's source.

I like the Sony MDR-XB500s. This set is very warm with tons of bass which suits my musical tastes very well.

sony_mdr_xb500.jpg

The hard thing about choosing a quality set of headphones is every single brand and model seem to have their own unique sound signatures. Through tons of trial and error I've learned that my preference for headphones is "warm with lots of bass". This gives me the sound and experience I'm looking for.

I absolutely hate headphones that are described as neutral because they sound weak and way too bright for my personal tastes. I can't count the amount of money I've wasted over the years buying headphones that audiophiles claimed were top-of-the-line because the sound signature was neutral which is supposed to be the "Holy Grail" of sound signatures . Personally, I feel that the warm sounding tones of bass heavy headphones make my favorite music sound more natural and enjoyable. Maybe it's because I tend to be sensitive to high frequencies so a little treble and mid range seem to go a long way or maybe it's the fact that I just simply like a lot of bass in my music. Regardless of the reason, a warm sounding, bass heavy set of 'cans' is my weapon of choice when it comes to listening to my favorite tunes in private. Additionally, I like to "feel" the music and have come to depend on that sensation to complete my musical experience (I also prop my feet up on the 10" subwoofer that sits under my desk in order to better fell the bass vibrations) so a set of headphones that vibrate my inner ear is a major plus.

After lots of wasted time and money I just accepted the fact that my personal tastes differ from many so-called headphone audiophiles. Whenever I'm in the market for a new set of 'cans' I automatically throw out any models that are described as "neutral" and give extra attention to models that are described as "bass heavy". Please understand that I'm not criticizing headphone audiophiles I'm just stating that my tastes are different from theirs. Rock on music lovers! :banana: :music:

Last edited:
I like the Sony MDR-XB500s. This set is very warm with tons of bass which suits my musical tastes very well.

sony_mdr_xb500.jpg

The hard thing about choosing a quality set of headphones is every single brand and model seem to have their own unique sound signatures. Through tons of trial and error I've learned that my preference for headphones is "warm with lots of bass". This gives me the sound and experience I'm looking for.

I absolutely hate headphones that are described as neutral because they sound weak and way too bright for my personal tastes. I can't count the amount of money I've wasted over the years buying headphones that audiophiles claimed were top-of-the-line because the sound signature was neutral which is supposed to be the "Holy Grail" of sound signatures . Personally, I feel that the warm sounding tones of bass heavy headphones make my favorite music sound more natural and enjoyable. Maybe it's because I tend to be sensitive to high frequencies so a little treble and mid range seem to go a long way or maybe it's the fact that I just simply like a lot of bass in my music. Regardless of the reason, a warm sounding, bass heavy set of 'cans' is my weapon of choice when it comes to listening to my favorite tunes in private. Additionally, I like to "feel" the music and have come to depend on that sensation to complete my musical experience (I also prop my feet up on the 10" subwoofer that sits under my desk in order to better fell the bass vibrations) so a set of headphones that vibrate my inner ear is a major plus.

After lots of wasted time and money I just accepted the fact that my personal tastes differ from many so-called headphone audiophiles. Whenever I'm in the market for a new set of 'cans' I automatically throw out any models that are described as "neutral" and give extra attention to models that are described as "bass heavy". Please understand that I'm not criticizing headphone audiophiles I'm just stating that my tastes are different from theirs. Rock on music lovers! :banana: :music:

Great post...and no need to qualify your conclusions. You found something that you dig...:thmbsp: That is what this place is all about. :music:

Cubdog has me curious about his suggestions. I am a little skeptical but definitely interested.

Regarding some other opinions above, I find Shures to be too "bright" so though I know some prefer the 840s to the M50s, personally, I can't see that. The M50s deliver the goods down low (personal preference, of course).

The Sony MDR-7506s do have bass and lots of it, may even reach lower than the M50s, but they usually don't sound like it because the bass emphasis is not bumped like it is in the M50s, and the M50s seem to have more bass layering and textured detail. I also prefer the Sony to the Senns 280 and Shure 440--they do most things well enough in that 100 or less category.

And then there is the "legendary" clamping force of the Sennheisers! Advil, anyone? lol

Don't get me wrong. Just about all the H-phones listed in posts above are good. And not all ears are middle-aged and disturbed by brilliant highs and anemic bass!

cnh2

AKG studio 240's are nice for budget cans. One thing I have found is if the head phones are uncomfortable or heavy I can't wear them for long. The Akg's are very comfortable and are not fatiging in the least, the mids are their strong point with good extension in the bass region the higher frequencies are rolled off a little early, but that suits me fine since I can't hear above 15k any how. I picked mine up for under 70 bones, they have a good dollar to performance ratio.

HA RX700. Pretty nice headphones, specially when modded. They react well to Equing.

Anyone have experience with monoprice headphones?

For a little over 20 dollars plus shipping, the Monoprice are great knock-around Headphones. They have plenty of bass for cheapos, reasonably detailed and defined mids, and passable highs (the highs are not as aggressive or as detailed, as something like the M50s).

Basically, unless you A/B the Monoprice against a "better" phone, you can probably live with the sound as there is nothing offensive, merely some omissions that higher end phones return to the mix.

They really are nice beater phones you can take with you, use with your laptop and have a nice low end. You wouldn't want them as your main cans, but as a back up that you can bang up, they're great.

Also a thanks to cubdog. I spent hours reading the pages on the Jaycar ProMonitors (Brainwavz HM5), Takstar Hi2050, and Pro 80s over at HeadFi (can you say a FEW hundred pages...man those guys can beat threads to death!). Consequently, I ordered the Jaycars, and am thinking about a set of the Technical Pro HPT990 (Takstar Hi2050). And now there are higher end Takstars and a new Fischer with titanium coated drivers (I do have to point out here that KOSS has been coating drivers with that material for DECADES, so not sure why there is all the buzz about these new phones because there is nothing new about that process. JBL also started to vapor deposit the metal on tweeters in the '80s?).

While I'm at it. Has anyone who is an audio engineer ever taken the Fischer 003 drivers out and dismantled them to compare them with the drivers in, let's say, a Sennheiser HD600? That would seem an obvious thing to do. There is a ton of reverse engineering going on in China. I spent a year teaching some of the best and the brightest science students there, and I can tell you that they are very very good! And I have no doubt that China is now approaching what Japan was capable during it's electronics heyday! Why couldn't they take schematics for a Sennheiser driver and create an almost perfect copy that was just enough "different" from the original to not look like an outright "copy"? And they can do it a lot cheaper than the big boys? This flood of cheap Chinese H-phones that is getting SUPER-BUZZ with the HeadFi boys and girls, seems curious. I know for a fact that making NEW product or generating NEW patents is still a problem for the Chinese. And my students, though, first rate, were still hesitant about their creative and visionary prowess.

It's also well-known that copies of "everything" are proliferating in China. Why there is an entire section of the port city of Beijing (Tianjin) that is DEVOTED to selling very GOOD copies of everything you can imagine, from Rolex watches to Burberry bags, etc. And that is mostly for the domestic market!

cnh

Last edited:
My Digitech version of the Fischer FA003 purchased through Jaycar cost me $70 shipped from Austrailia. I'd challenge you to find a better sounding headphone under $200. Actually they are one of the best headphones I've heard at any price. Of course that's me but they are really a bargain. Brainwavz sells the same headphone labeled as HM5 and sells them for $140.00. I believe the Fisher version is around $200.00. There is a lot of information on these here and a ton more at Headfi.

cubdog

I took delivery earlier today - Digitech Pro Monitors ($70). They're breaking in now, but I don't know if they need it. They sound good right out of the box. They're very comfortable and with 100dB/mW @ 64 ohms, pretty easy to drive.
Thanks for the recommendation.
neo

I took delivery earlier today - Digitech Pro Monitors ($70). They're breaking in now, but I don't know if they need it. They sound good right out of the box. They're very comfortable and with 100dB/mW @ 64 ohms, pretty easy to drive.
Thanks for the recommendation.
neo

I also picked up a pair of these, mostly on the cub's recommendation (plus other reviews).

Definitely worth $70 shipped. Can compete with anything in that 100-150 dollar class. I know there is a guy on the Head-Fi forum who SWEARS by these and compares them to Senn HD600s, etc. But I own a pair of HD600s and I'm still trying to figure out what that guy is hearing that I am NOT!

Thanks again. Great mid-fi phones with lots of accessories!

cnh2

Last edited:
Takstar Pro80, ebay is your friend, should be under$80 with shipping. These allow you you to hear deep in the mix with solid base.

Ron-C

The other day I bought a pair of Sony mdr-zx300ap (I had to pick something at Target for something - it's not worth explaining) and I can confirm that they are NOT one of the "Best sounding phones for less than 100.00". There's nothing particularly offensive about them, but I don't have a single compliment for them either. They are also quite low sensitivity. I haven't tried them with a high power amp, and maybe there would be some improvement, but why would anyone buy cheap headphones (with a phone control feature no less!) that need a special amp?

Music Series One by Alessandro $99 shipped.

Grado drivers and not the cheap ones either!

Best deal out there as far as I'm concerned!

I also picked up a pair of these, mostly on the cub's recommendation (plus other reviews).

Definitely worth $70 shipped. Can compete with anything in that 100-150 dollar class. I know there is a guy on the Head-Fi forum who SWEARS by these and compares them to Senn HD600s, etc. But I own a pair of HD600s and I'm still trying to figure out what that guy is hearing that I am NOT!

Thanks again. Great mid-fi phones with lots of accessories!

cnh2

I have been thinking of getting a pair of headphones for a few weeks now. Would these or the highly rated monoprice headphones be a good starting point?
How long did they take to arrive from Australia or wherever? I dont have a headphone amp, just my Pioneer sx-1080 or Pioneer HT receiver. Should be fine, right? Is my 'newness' to headphones showing?

I have been thinking of getting a pair of headphones for a few weeks now. Would these or the highly rated monoprice headphones be a good starting point?
How long did they take to arrive from Australia or wherever? I dont have a headphone amp, just my Pioneer sx-1080 or Pioneer HT receiver. Should be fine, right? Is my 'newness' to headphones showing?

The Pro Monitors took 10 days to arrive in Phila. BTW, that price includes shipping to the US. I've had these long enough now to confidently endorse them. They look like they might be overly tight/small with too much clamping force, but they proved to be one of the most comfortable phones I've tried. The pads are extra thick and seem to mitigate the pressure. The SQ is first rate IMO with a slightly prominent midrange. Bass is good with decent extension, but not overly exaggerated or bass heavy.

If you're looking for a less expensive set, I'd recommend the Panasonic RP-HTF600. I was thinking of the Monoprice, but a thread on Head Fi convinced me to try the HTF600. These are awesome inexpensive cans with 52mm drivers. Hard to believe the SQ for $30. They have a 50 hr break-in. Efficiency is rated at 100dB/mW, but the Pro Monitors are a little more efficient with the same rating. The bass goes all the way down and they're great for movies and I imagine gaming. Comfort is pretty good, but not like the Pro Monitors. JVC makes a $30 phone the _700 which is said to be very good. I haven't heard them.

Any of these phones should be fine with your amplification.
neo

Have to agree with neobop above.

Yeah, they come from down under in about 7-10 or so business days. And your receiver will power them fine, although there is "always" better amplification available for cans as for speakers, etc. A Pioneer 1080 should have a pretty decent H-phone section. I have a newer SX-3900 that does fine with cans. Both H-phones are very good!

The Takstars mentioned above are also good phones in that general price range. They have a bit more bass than the Jaycars but otherwise the Jaycar Digitechs seem to have a more "neutral" presentation.

Have fun!

cnh2

Back
Top Bottom