Best speaker score under $100

Last would be Kustom pa horn cabs. loaded with Altec 619s. Had sold them to daughters boyfriend when we moved. Got them back for the 50 bucks I sold them to him for. So glad!

$89
Sidereal Akustic Model 3
Found them in the corner of a venders area in an antique mall. Snapped a pic of badge and spent a few days researching. Finally got a hit and traced them back to the founder Richard Smith (he passed late 2006). They were out of Oceanside CA. Mr Smith later met John McDonald and they started Audience which is still in business. I was working that week and stressed out about not buying them and had to wait to get back and see if they were still there. I got 10% off and a week to bring them back, lol. I emailed Audience on a Sunday to see if anyone had any info on them and got a reply in less than an hour from the CEO of Audience, Mr McDonald! He was cool and answered my questions. Apparently these are rare. Heres part of an interview with Smith and McDonald where they make reference to these speakers.

IMG_2252.PNG IMG_2249.JPG

AR3 .... Free (from a friend)
AR3a ...... $8 (thrift store find)
Relistic Optimus 4 ...... Free (another friends parents)

What do you think about putting a sock or some other type of filling in the port to supposedly improving the bass? I love the sound of them but I have seen posts about doing it.

(sorry for the thread hijack)

I've tried that, but I find the bass just fine the way it is. Bass seemed to lose a little impact and articulation when I blocked the ports.

I've tried that, but I find the bass just fine the way it is. Bass seemed to lose a little impact and articulation when I blocked the ports.

I finally tried after I wrote the post and I agree 100% with you. Once in a great while I hear a bass note so deep it actually surprises me. I listened to the same recording with and without sock and I missed the depth.

ADS L-1290. $60
Advent NLA bullnose w/ 25th anniversary dome tweeters. Curb score
Fisher XP-10 $100 ( not real popular, but I like em)
ADS L-520. $60

My sister was going to toss her JBL L-19's because the woofers needed new surrounds. Asked me if I wanted them. They sat around in my front porch for 10+ years before I got around to fixing them.........Free L-19's and the cost of a Rick Cobb surround kit for under $50.:banana:

For $100 I got a set of JBL 4408 on Wed that had new surrounds installed 3 years ago...
20170810_JBL-4408.jpg

Nice grab! I had a pair once....pretty impressive

Thanks, I was looking for something near field for mixing on but also for listening (more listening than mixing actually). I think I found the right speakers for my needs :) scored a nice Kenwood KR-5200 for a house system in the deal too (hooking a bluetooth receiver to it for the wife and daughter). The 4408 will be hooked up with my MK Goliath II passive sub and Sony STR-6800SD to my computer (Digital Audio Workstation). I've built a small 7x10 room for listening/recording out of a spare bedroom (room in a room construction with a foot of air space between... 5 layers of drywall and some R13 fiberglass, non-square wall angles, etc).

2 weeks a go I found a B&W ASW608 Subwoofer for free and a Yamaha NS-AC2 Center Channel Speaker. Both sound really nice.

Opus

I just found another pair of Marantz Imperial Six for $30. Their condition is way better than the first pair I bought. The cabs are painted black, but they don't look like they've been slopped on with cheap paint. All the drivers are original and very clean, unlike my last pair which were faded, stained and dusty.

Infinity RS6a for $20 from Goodwill. I reformed the woofers and kept them for a year or so before selling them. They were a slightly too big for bedroom use.

I just found another pair of Marantz Imperial Six for $30. Their condition is way better than the first pair I bought. The cabs are painted black, but they don't look like they've been slopped on with cheap paint. All the drivers are original and very clean, unlike my last pair which were faded, stained and dusty.

I have found a few other vintage speakers with real wood veneer that some meat puppet painted......one on eBay put brown latex paint on a pair of Imp 6 and was bragging about the "finish". It almost brought tears to my eyes!

Did you get them and how do they sound??

Back
Top Bottom