Best speaker wire stripping tool

An old set of toe nail clippers makes a very handy and speedy speaker wire stripper as long as it's no larger than 14awg or so. Been using these so long I forget who turned me onto them years ago. Just feed the cable in the side, squeeze and rotate a few times and then pull. Super easy....

jblnut

I have had many just like these from different manufactures but these are what I would recommend.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Katapult-Wire-Stripper-Cutter-11063W/204660476

I have used a pair like this as work that have a stop that is adjustable so that when you are doing rows of terminals you can get the exact length needed so that just the right amount of wire extends out of the crimp end. As an industrial electrician, we have a bunch of QC guys checking every crimp to insure perfection, and having the stop makes for quick work when stripping hundreds of wires for long terminal strips in panels.

I've got what looks like an ancient set of Stripmasters (they're at home and I'm not and can't remember the brand name) that has one very slick feature - a little spring-loaded locking lever in between the handles that locks the gizmo with the "clamping" and "cutting" jaws spread apart, so that when you let go to release the wire it doesn't spring back shut and scrunch up the strands of wire.

I rewired some valves on my friends sprinkler system the other day..
The leads were two feet below ground and barely enough wire to strip.

IDA_45-637.jpg

The perfect tool for this one shot deal. The place was too tight to get normal strippers to work.

Back
Top Bottom