Best SS or tube amp kit <$750?

MKG

Elvish-mark’d abortive, rooting hog
I’m looking for a new project. There’s a lot of options out there so I’m hoping for some help narrowing them down. I’m open to class a, ab, or d, solid state or tube.
Soldering and putting together stuff is one of the things I do to relax so I’m not really looking for just a couple of prebuilt modules and a power supply.
Power requirements: I have a number of ‘70’s & ‘80’s speakers that I’m slowly repairing or fiddling with. I don’t think many are super efficient. New Large Advents are what I’m currently listening to in the shop, but numerous others will be cycled through so figure 50w minimum, more is better. Capable of driving 4 ohm loads easily. I’m not opposed to Chinese clones, but keep in mind I’m in the us with 120v 60hz power at the outlet.
Any suggestions?
Edited to increase budget.

Last edited:
I’m looking for a new project. There’s a lot of options out there so I’m hoping for some help narrowing them down. I’m open to class a, ab, or d, solid state or tube.
Soldering and putting together stuff is one of the things I do to relax so I’m not really looking for just a couple of prebuilt modules and a power supply.
Power requirements: I have a number of ‘70’s & ‘80’s speakers that I’m slowly repairing or fiddling with. I don’t think many are super efficient. New Large Advents are what I’m currently listening to in the shop, but numerous others will be cycled through so figure 50w minimum, more is better. Capable of driving 4 ohm loads easily. I’m not opposed to Chinese clones, but keep in mind I’m in the us with 120v 60hz power at the outlet.
Any suggestions?
Take a look at the AkitikA GT-102. $314 in kit form and highly reviewed. :)

I started another thread asking about the gt-102 yesterday. I’ve found no mention of it on AK, found a stereophile review and some chat about it on reddit and a few other forums via a google search, but still haven’t found much so I’m really on the fence about it.

No tube kits that I’ve found that put out the wattage I’m looking for, but plenty of gainclones and the like.

...or maybe I’ll just order individual parts and build an st-120 or some other well regarded tube amp.
Too many damn choices. I’ve upped my budget to $700-ish and it’s not helping matters any.
Honey Badger is also tempting.
Still exploring the Pass DIY stuff.

I use the gt-102 power modules in my 120 rebuilds! The Akitika stuff is very nice, same source as my updatemydynaco.com kits I buy for upgrading 120s.

Reactions: MKG
Check out Peter Millet’s design at http://pmillett.com/DCPP.htm. On diyaudio there are some posts where TubeLab took the basic design to over 100 watts. For a more canned approach consider http://pmillett.com/DCPP_MB.html.

TubeLab also offers his own kits, but these are mostly single-ended designs (Class A, lowish wattage). He does have a push-pull offering, too. Personally, If I were to commit to a kit today it would be one of TubeLab’s single-ended designs. But I have a lot of different amps under the roof, and most are solid state and all are push-pull. Eventually, it will be time to try something new and different.

Regards,

Rob

Stereophile published a very favorable review of the GT-102 in the June 2018 issue. It's available online.

...and I just bought another Hafler dh-200 and two dh-202 bridging kits in case I feel the need for more power.
I’m done spending money for a bit.
...although, I’ve heard good things about dual advent stacks and I’ll have two matching amps, I’m just missing another pair of NLA’s....

I have used many of the upgrade kits developed by Dan, always with superb results. If you have any questions while assembling something, you'll find his response time to be incredible, which is why I continue to rebuild Dynaco pieces as a hobby! Service and Support way above the norm!

...and I just bought another Hafler dh-200 and two dh-202 bridging kits in case I feel the need for more power.
I’m done spending money for a bit.
...although, I’ve heard good things about dual advent stacks and I’ll have two matching amps, I’m just missing another pair of NLA’s....

I have a bunch of those, too. The first one I bought all the way back in 1982, used. It's been in continuous service since then. I call it, "The Appliance", except the reliability is much better than your typical white goods item.

Here's an idea: buy a known dead Hafler DH-200 for cheap, even better if the outputs are blown as you will be less tempted to repair/restore. The rest makes a nice chassis, transformer, power supply, and heatsink to build a different amplifier, e.g., a Leach. The items you recycle are probably 80-90% of the cost of an amplifier. That leaves you with a PCB and a BOM list to purchase. The biggest restriction is you will need to use TO-3 outputs, unless you want to fabricate something.

Regards,

Rob

Reactions: MKG
I’m glad to hear from someone with firsthand experience with one of their kits.

Back
Top Bottom