Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

The Music Cable Co.
Found a pair of these at my local GW.
$1.99 for a set of 1meter RCA cables.
One end piece was missing the outer covering piece, hopefully I can find a replacement on line.

TMC.jpg

Good on you. Even at 50x her asking price that's a steal... :thumbsup:

One has to wonder though, how did they end up there when only purchased a few months ago? :dunno:

Death or divorce one would have to think. Either way, when he left the lady probably said something to the effect of "He wasn't the only one".

Just picked up a pair of Baby Advent IIs in rough but eminently restorable shape for $7. I need more speakers like a hole in my head but I'd rather give these to someone who has nothing rather than have them pick up something crappy. Also a CD of Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan, who does this? And very conveniently as I just got a Sansui QRX-7001, a SQ quadraphonic 4 LP set of Ravel which will have to wait until Tuesday to be listened to as i'm waiting on my care package from dgwojo... (who always comes through for me, I seem to buy the gear that he doesn't have notes on, but we always figure it out)

I have the same machine. Mine only records in rev. If i record on fwd the right channel is weak. But it plays in both directions. I Found some ampex and basf tapes. They record just fine for me band sound good.
I found some old Allied brand tapes but have not yet had time to try recording and playback.
Did find an Audiokarma link about transisitors which, IIRC, cause problems ranging from playback to record.
did a search and found the Audiokarma thread with a still active link to Mouser :banana::banana::banana::
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/akai-gx-260d-transistors.496666/
for the KSC1815YTA
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fairchild-Semiconductor/KSC1815YTA/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsTKkj12KWLXuW5oDYpP%2bzxGbXKcGxnyRY=

I found some old Allied brand tapes but have not yet had time to try recording and playback.
Did find an Audiokarma link about transisitors which, IIRC, cause problems ranging from playback to record.
did a search and found the Audiokarma thread with a still active link to Mouser :banana::banana::banana::
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/akai-gx-260d-transistors.496666/
for the KSC1815YTA
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fairchild-Semiconductor/KSC1815YTA/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsTKkj12KWLXuW5oDYpP%2bzxGbXKcGxnyRY=
If recording does stop working i will rember those links. I did have to replace my record light also.Used a led bulb and i attached a picture of my reel to reel also....

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 43
If recording does stop working i will rember those links. I did have to replace my record light also.Used a led bulb and i attached a picture of my reel to reel also....

I'll keep that LED replacement idea in mind should I find a light bulb is not functioning in one of my old units.:thumbsup:

Local thrift decided to clean house and put some free lps in a cart outside. I just made the comment to my wife that i wasn't going to bring home any more classical listened to all the lps i haven't got to yet.:no: I had to
rescue them. There were exposed to the elements. :thumbsup:17 lps mostly classical including two Westminsters that are somewhat rare. Edit: i actually paid for the Brahms .20
Also for a dollar each.
Tommy Bolin- teaser
Joe perry project- once a rocker always a rocker
Joan Baez - farewell Angelina
Trapezoid- now and then
Dolly Parton Porter Wagoner - always , always
Johnny Cash- everybody Loves a nut
Out of the darkness,- songs for survival sealed compilation
Lester Flatt and Earl Scrugs- story of Bonnie and Clyde
Michael Cassidy- Natures Secret
Nancy Sinatra- Country my way in monoIMG_20161108_012059998.jpg IMG_20161108_022607766.jpg IMG_20161107_145345305.jpg IMG_20161107_190649440.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20161107_145345305.jpg
    IMG_20161107_145345305.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20161107_190649440.jpg
    IMG_20161107_190649440.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 47
Local thrift decided to clean house and put some free lps in a cart outside. I just made the comment to my wife that i wasn't going to bring home any more classical listened to all the lps i haven't got to yet.:no: I had to
rescue them. There were exposed to the elements. :thumbsup:17 lps mostly classical including two Westminsters that are somewhat rare. Edit: i actually paid for the Brahms .20

That WL-5211 has sold as high as $105 on eBay. I don't know if collectors are still paying that much, however.

What is the Brahms? I can't pick out the catalog number on your pic.

That WL-5211 has sold as high as $105 on eBay. I don't know if collectors are still paying that much, however.

What is the Brahms? I can't pick out the catalog number on your pic.
Brahms is wl 5146.
I would say the condition of side 1 of the Beethoven would be a problem for most collectors. No skips but some repetitive pops from scratches. I can hear why it would fetch a good price. Performance is excellent.

I have a pair of those wharfedale's in my shop, they sound pretty good and seem to be rather efficient. I have never broken them apart but I believe they utilize the popular Foster/Fostex horn that popped up in numerous applications including the Zenith Allegro series.

Brahms is wl 5146.
I would say the condition of side 1 of the Beethoven would be a problem for most collectors. No skips but some repetitive pops from scratches. I can hear why it would fetch a good price. Performance is excellent.

The Brahms is another popular one that has a lot of sales over $100. Condition, of course, is crucial. That's why clean copies are worth so much.

restore today $30

sanyo quad receiver dcx-3500k sq- cd-4
wharfedale e30

needs a cleaning but all works
according to 1 site its 100 watts x 2 in 2 chan
made by fisher?

View attachment 816927

View attachment 816928

View attachment 816934 View attachment 816935 View attachment 816936

Actually, it was Sanyo that owned Fisher during that time. ;) There were also Technics quad units made by Sanyo as well (have a look at the similarities). Sanyo even made some unique Fisher receiver models only offered in Sears stores too. And my TOTL Fisher RS-1080 was also made by Sanyo. :)

Overall, I've had little to no luck at thrift stores, particularly Goodwill. However, I struck paydirt a week and a half ago when I visited a large GW location which opened fairly recently in a building which once housed a local chain supermarket. It has a regular GW retail section, as well as a "Buy the Pound" outlet.

I started in the retail section, where I was mostly underwhelmed by the electronics section. I then made my way to the book/record section, where I saw an employee refreshing the bins. I looked through what she'd recently put in, and was astounded. I ended up with the following:

Sex Pistols "Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols"
George Harrison "Wonderwall Music" and "Electronic Sound"
Tears for Fears "Songs from the Big Chair"
Elton John - "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"
Electric Light Orchestra "Out of the Blue"
4LP compilation "Superstars of the '70s"

All for a buck apiece. :banana: There were a few others I could've bought, but I already had copies, so I left 'em.

Once I was done there, I was going to head back to the car when I realized that I hadn't checked the Buy the Pound section. Entering the room, I was overwhelmed by the sight of people picking through the wheeled troughs which filled the room. A cursory glance revealed a big piece of silver-faced gear sitting in one of the troughs near the front of the room. Going closer showed that it was a Marantz 2110 tuner, complete with oscilloscope tube! :eek: I brought it to the testing table, plugged it in, some of the dial lights came on, the o-scope tube lit up, and I got a reaction from the trace when I tuned to a local FM station.

The tuner had a white tag on top with the date, and a price of $.99. I had no idea what this meant, since I'd never been in a GW with this section before. The signs on the wall showed prices-per-pound for various items, and electronic items were usually something like 40 cents a pound, so I didn't know if the tag represented a modified per-pound rate for the tuner or what. I brought it to the register expecting the cashier to weigh it, but she instead charged me the flat 99 cents! :jump: I couldn't believe my luck. I shall be checking this place more often, methinks... :idea:
-Adam

The Brahms is another popular one that has a lot of sales over $100. Condition, of course, is crucial. That's why clean copies are worth so much.
Thanks for the input. Its easy to here why these would be worth some dough. Both are excellent performances. The Brahms is in better shape than the Beethoven but will have to listen to both again to get a good rating. Its also a plus to tell my wife that i found some gems.

A score like that will get you hooked for sure.
Well, I've definitely added it to my (occasional) rounds, but lightning has yet to strike again. Pretty much the only thing I've bought there since the 'big scroe' was, of all things, a blue IBM Correcting Selectric II typewriter from the '70s for $4. I've wanted a Selectric of some sort for a long time now so I could say I had one, and even though it's not a Selectric I, it's still a nice solid machine with some interesting features, and the crazy 'whiffletree' mechanism they used for these beasts.
-Adam

I'm not familiar with those Westminster pressings, are they sought after or something? Or just a few specific recordings?

I'm not familiar with those Westminster pressings, are they sought after or something? Or just a few specific recordings?
I have found three so far and all have been worth far more than i paid for them. There old so rarity is one reason. The performances and SQ for being mono and from the 50's are good as well.Some are worth more than others . If you find any cheap definitely snag them.

Back
Top Bottom