Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Grabbed a few things this week. Yesterday I got these Scott S10-B speakers in rough cosmetic shape for $8. I'm troubleshooting a dead tweeter problem on one.
View attachment 826769

The dead tweeter problem is caused by open circuit crossover capacitors. 16uF non polarized caps are used in the S10's. Best to replace all of them (two per box). They are available from ERSE Audio.

Today I got this cassette car stereo that's never been installed for $10. Might make a boombox with it, we'll see.
View attachment 826770

Also got a Tool-Undertow cassette, it was in some stupid Soundesign cassette receiver. I left the gun and took the cannoli. :cool:
Grabbed a few things this week. Yesterday I got these Scott S10-B speakers in rough cosmetic shape for $8. I'm troubleshooting a dead tweeter problem on one.
View attachment 826769

Today I got this cassette car stereo that's never been installed for $10. Might make a boombox with it, we'll see.
View attachment 826770

Also got a Tool-Undertow cassette, it was in some stupid Soundesign cassette receiver. I left the gun and took the cannoli. :cool:

@sa2audio: thanks for the tip. I already replaced them and sure enough that was the problem. One of the capacitor leads just fell off when I touched it. I have to refinish the cabs now that spring is here.

@sa2audio: thanks for the tip. I already replaced them and sure enough that was the problem. One of the capacitor leads just fell off when I touched it. I have to refinish the cabs now that spring is here.
I used Dr. Woodwell's Wood Elixir on the S10-B cabinets and they now look brand new. It is amazing stuff but pay attention to the minimum and maximum soak in times required before buffing it out. No stripping required, just wipe on and wipe off. I did in on my workbench and it took me about one hour to do both cabinets. It works well because the S10-B's have real wood veneer, not the vinyl you often see on newer speaker cabinets.

I found a Yamaha EQ-500U Equalizer on the side of the curb on top of a stove the night before garbage pickup..
Sounds great! I blew all the dust out,apparently it was a smoker's home, after taking the cover off it smelled like cigarettes.
After applying Deoxit to all the controls,they were smooth!
oTgXHIR.jpg

nrJVYjP.jpg
jHxrmpu.jpg

If anyone has figured out a way to get rid of the smell, please post! I took it apart and cleaned everything, but it's the guts that still have the smell. Even worse when it warms up. Now it just sits in the corner thinking about what it's done..

Another Park, Another Sunday?

Actually, no. It was Black Water. I couldn't remember the words, but the vibe has always haunted me.

If anyone has figured out a way to get rid of the smell, please post! I took it apart and cleaned everything, but it's the guts that still have the smell. Even worse when it warms up. Now it just sits in the corner thinking about what it's done..

I believe there is a thread here on that. Was it onions in a bag? I'll see if I can find it!

One of my kids spilled milk in the car and didnt say anything. Spilled milk in a hot car is disgusting. After thorough cleaning still smelled. i put a sock with arm and hammer baking soda and it sucked the odor into the sock. Must be patient. Took days if not a couple weeks. Can't recall. I personally would try this with cigarette smoke in audio gear but haven't had the opportunity. One potential flaw is arm and hammer will escape the sock so it will have to be swept out thoroughly.

Just searched google to see if anyone has used it successfully for cigarettes and there are examples books and dvds etc. No audiou gear. One person suggested getting a large enough container and sealing the items in with The Arm And Hammer. I like this idea. But definitely getting in the gear.

This is why thinking before posting is good. Have an idea.
Big plastic container with lid. Line the bottom with arm and hammer. Put a board or plastic something big enough for the gear but not blocking all the A and H. Then gently place the gear onto board and seal it up.

I hope someone would try this on some cheapo broken gear first before a Marantz.

Luxman px-100 turntable in mint condition at a yard sale for five bucks (talked them doen from ten - evil, I know). Sold it for $100 about eight years ago and have regretted it ever since. I was annoyed at how light it was and the fact that it was fully auto but it was gorgeous.

Marantz 2252 for 50 bucks at a flea market. Just needed the pots cleaned. Used it for 15 years and sold it recently for $400.

Klipsch kg4 speakers at a yard sale for 25 bucks. Used them for years and they sounded good on some recordings but ultimately they turned me off to horns.

I've read leaving something with cigarette funk out in the bright sun for a few days helps. I've also set fabric softener sheets inside stereos and amps for a few days (unplugged of course), and that seemed to help absorb (or mask) some of the smell. I also have set the fabric softener sheets on top of the vent while running the unit, and that seemed to help some. In one really extreme case I took the lid off, sprayed it down in my shower, and left it sitting in front of a fan for 2 straight days. Knocked the smell right out. Not sure I'd do it on a high-end piece, but it did work. YMMV.

If anyone has figured out a way to get rid of the smell, please post! I took it apart and cleaned everything, but it's the guts that still have the smell...
Years ago I found the exact vehicle I wanted, low miles & price too. However the previous owner smoked in it --Blech!--, nearly a heartbreaking deal-breaker. A car dealer friend of mine was unfazed, told me to get it properly detailed (i.e., clean off every surface) and dump a bunch of coffee in there and let it sit. After every hard surface was scrubbed, I sprinkled several large Costco cans of ground coffee all over inside (cheap, non-oily roast), making sure every textile surface had a generous amount; I may have thrown in some baking soda for good measure too, can't really remember.
Days later the coffee was vacuumed out and, doggone, so was the cig stink! I kept that vehicle seven years and smell was never an issue again, including the not-unpleasant coffee aroma which only hung around a few weeks.

Maybe a regimen like that, packing the component in a tote with coffee for a time could do it. Direct contact with the stinky surfaces would undoubtedly be most effective; if you feel brave you could maybe sprinkle the coffee right into the component if there's enough clearance to vacuum it all back out later. Since coffee is non-conductive it should be fine, but I'll leave final word on that to electronics guys here more knowledgeable.

Last edited:
Old cigarette smell is the worst. I have a sansui g4500 that has it pretty bad. :(

I'd recommend spraying the item inside and out with isopropyl alcohol, wiping it dry as much as possible, then leaving it in the sun for a day or two. Sunlight has deodorizing properties, that, combined with the alcohol wash, can minimize the cigarette smell.

Non audio but I just picked up a Logitech Harmony One remote with charger for $6.99, which I thought was a good deal. I've been wanting one of these.

I was thinking about dumping something like baking soda, or coffee in it... I think I will try the coffee idea. I had put dryer sheets inside of it already. I changed them out a few times, and that didn't help much. I bet the coffee grounds, and getting it some sun will do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom