Best Thrift Store/Goodwill/SA Finds

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Marantzaholic, May 21, 2003.

1. Sparkler

Sparkler Member

I just picked up a Magnavox CD500 for 6.99 at my local GW. brought it home wiped in down, hooked it up and it plays flawlessly and sounds really nice.

2. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

Just picked one of these up at Buy the Pound. Pretty funny and it looks brand new and works perfectly. It was in Electronics which is 20 cents a pound so it cost just under 40 cents.

3. Sethbramwell

Sethbramwell Active Member

Once again, I envy you. Our GW Outlet has really gone downhill of late, being 90% ratty clothes with one row of wares bins. The electronics are usually whatever the manager feels like pricing them that day with little rhyme or reason. This has led to some great finds, but also a lot of "huh???" moments from me, such as: "Oh look, two tall brown speakers. They have different designs, are slightly different heights, and have different company badges, but they're both brown. Hm. Better label them as a matched set and tape them together." WTF?

bobsvinyl likes this.
  4. Hofy

Hofy Voids Warranties Subscriber

Dont feel bad. They are hitting the crack pipe pretty hard at my local GW too. Check out the price of this Technics rack system. The speakers are separate!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SwingModern likes this.
  5. HyKlas

HyKlas AK Subscriber Subscriber

But it has a synithesizer!

6. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Super Member

At least it's not a cheapo Fisher system.. A local thrift has had one of those priced at $149. It's been sitting there for close to a year..

7. Sethbramwell

One of my local regular Goodwills had one of those Philco all-in-one retro systems (Turntable, radio, CD, Cassette) with a broken tonearm, no stylus, and broken hinges for the lid, and they still priced it at 50.00 red tag (very rare they do sales on the red tags here). It sat on the shelves for nearly a year, even despite the occasional red tag sale. Recently it's vanished, and I have to wonder if they finally found a sucker or if they gave up and sent it off to the clearance center.

8. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Super Member

Looks more like a synitnesizer to me. :rflmao:

9. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Good Wills in my area all closed down fairly recently for exactly that reason! They couldn't compete with the Value Villages which clean almost all their textiles before they put them out.

The thrift stores have to realize that the used market is very competitive now, and they can no longer afford to put out only garbage. They are competing with a very smart marketing strategy promoting reuse, treasure hunting, etc. if they don't put anything good out (like my local and now extinct Good Will) they won't survive against the competition. The Value Villages are also putting stuff out throughout the day, giving opportunity for anyone to find something good.

superdog likes this.
  10. Sethbramwell

My GW Outlet puts out new stuff all day as well, but lately the clothes-to-stuff-I-actually-care-about ratio has been so skewed. It's gone that way in the past and always swung back within a month, but this has been going on for 3 months now. I notice the number of people showing up declining bit by bit as well. I love my outlet, but I fear their days are numbered at this rate. A pity, as almost all my best scores and flips have been from there (and regular thrifts now feel like department stores price wise in comparison!)

11. absolon

absolon Super Member

While Value Village may have more stock, their pricing policy means that there aren't many bargains to be had. Their real target market seems to be the hordes of women picking through the fashion racks. I'm not a fan of new prices for well used goods from a for profit entity. I'd far rather fund the recycling depot or the hospital society thrift and because I'm not looking for fashion, the picking in those is often better.

Bdbras84 and Sethbramwell like this.
  12. BilboBaggins

That's unfortunate. I find their pricing strategy is cyclical. I suspect they have targets to the parent company they have to meet, so when garage sale season is closed, the prices go up. They have less volume, so they price items higher in order to meet their monthly quota. I couldn't survive shopping there without the 30% off coupons.

Personally, I don't understand how the not for profits operate. They don't seem to be very smart about how and what they put on the shelves. There is a Saint Vincent de Paul near me, and they never have anything really good. They never have silver faced beauties because they send it to the recyclers. :dunno: I asked. I rarely go there because of that. There is even an electronics recycling place now with a storefront, but it is all black plastic crap or you occasionally get something like a Marantz 1515 for $200!

13. absolon

absolon Super Member

Value Village gets supplied by Canadian Diabetes at a low per pound cost that VV implies is a contribution to the community but is in fact an extremely low cost, collected and delivered to their door, cost of goods sold. They run it as a business here with no cyclical nature to their pricing and a single objective in mind; they are always so expensive that I have trouble finding value even with 30% off. As far as electronics, we're long past the golden days of picking; the inventory out their has diminished substantially and the crowd chasing it much larger. I don't ever expect to see again the kind of quality goods that were once readily available and any finds of that kind of gear are truly flukes and in my experience, not to be found in Value Village any more. I don't resent it, I've had my fun and acquired a boatload of nice gear, but I don't waste my time chasing it anymore the way I used to. I also don't donate anything to VV either, there are other places that make better use of my donated goods.

Bdbras84 likes this.
  14. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

Please don't get my favorite thread locked down.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...very-member-read-this-before-you-post.173884/

Topics that have been beaten to death, and we’re done with them:
    Complaining about eBay buyers who use sniping programs, or complaining about sniping in general.
    Complaining that your local thrift store or charitable organization store is too expensive and/or never has anything interesting.
    Complaining about sellers who find out what their item is really worth before you have the opportunity to make your “score”.
    Complaining about “flippers”.

Bdbras84 and BilboBaggins like this.
  15. BilboBaggins

Well said Markshan! It did get closed down for a while because it got derailed. Let's not do that again. This thread is about celebrating our scores, not complaining about the lack of them.

If anything I said makes it seem like I am complaining, I'm really not. It is observation with an end goal of finding more scores! Regardless, I find the Value Villages to be wonderful places that meet the needs of many people including my wife and my daughter who is a single mother and benefits greatly from hers and my purchases from there. I also enjoy going to other thrifts, even if I don't find the scores as frequently.

Bdbras84 likes this.
  16. BilboBaggins

Another thing I am hoping is that some marketing genius is periodically searching the internet to know what thrifters are looking for in their hunt. I'm figuring they must occasionally see these threads and use them to learn.

Maybe I'm just dreaming, but that is a start.

17. orsen

orsen just another old cheapskate that likes audio Subscriber

the st.vini here is run by volunteers of course, the the local manager ran "kings stereo" home of muntz and clairion here when i was young.
    i bought numerous pieces off him back then.
    i walked into st.vini's and theres a set of paradigm 5se, the tweeter is not in one.
    i ask for kenny [the kings guy]
    he tells me "they work fine, we tested them, i was gonna take em home and fix em up"
    so i give him 30 less than they asked, get home, the tweeter is inside the cab, broken, they never tested at all.
    i had spare parts so all was ok
    once a stereo bs salesman always a bs salesman, even for a good cause

18. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

I love this thread and the estate sale thread because it gives me incentive to go out hunting. I really enjoy seeing what other members are finding.

Some of the items that appear in these threads are inspirational. Let's keep positive and enjoy those special moments that make the hobby so much fun. :beerchug:

19. Imanoldee

Imanoldee AK Subscriber Subscriber

Question to all you vinyl hunting experts out there.
    I just passed on 2 LP's at the local thrift today.
    One was The Yes Album, and the other was Head Games by Foreigner.
    Both had worn covers, and both had some hairline scratches, a little to many for me.
    Perhaps on the borderline for me to just buy without thinking about it.

Now I am wondering if I should have bought them anyway.
    They were 2 bucks a piece, so not a big deal.
    I was thinking I can hold out for better quality ones, since these were so common in their day.
    Then again, The Yes Album was a 1971 issue and that is getting on in years.
    Perhaps I will not come across another copy in better shape.
    At least not in a thrift or garage sale.
    I am sure I can find one right now on Ebay, at close to retail, but a cheap find in a thrift or garage sale, perhaps not.

What is the thinking out there?

20. likebike23

likebike23 Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't sweat those albums much. Both albums are OK titles, but not must haves in my eye. If you are an absolute record hound then you can hold out for better copies, they'll show up again.