Best Thrift Store/Goodwill/SA Finds

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Marantzaholic, May 21, 2003.

1. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

I'm not big on buying beater copies to listen to. You would be better off checking Bartertown or the auction sites for one in nice shape. I just saw a copy of Head Games on eBay for under $6.00 in near mint condition. It's worth the added expense and if you take care of it, you may never have to look for another copy again. I have vinyl I bought in the 70s that still plays well.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  2. superdog

superdog AK Member

No beater copies for me either.If it something I really want I'll eBay a nice copy.

3. absolon

absolon Super Member

Not to worry, I'm not complaining. Those are simply observations based on 15 years of picking audio gear and they are factual, not judgemental. If what's out there currently floats your boat, have at it and enjoy.

4. RJolly87

RJolly87 AK Subscriber Subscriber

It's interesting how locale sensitive albums are. As soon as classic vinyl with a recognizable group hits the thrift around here, the decimal immediately starts marching to the right, YES and Foreigner included. If they were $2, I would have snatched them if they even looked remotely playable.

5. DublinTrader

DublinTrader AK Subscriber Subscriber

i do find record buying opportunities often enough that I hesitate to pay retail for something I may find on my "hunts".
    The exception being anything really special and rare an thus less likely to encounter in my travels. I would more likely try to see if Barter Town could fill my wants.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    bobsvinyl likes this.
  6. LegacyHiFi

LegacyHiFi Member

I have recently stopped buying any vinyl below NM+. I was always excited to find good titles in the wild, but when I would pull them out later to play I just felt disappointed that they weren't in better shape. It took a long time to realize it, but there are 50 year old records in mint shape out there. Keep digging.

7. superdog

superdog AK Member

Slim pickings around those parts?It is here now also.It always wasn't like that though.

8. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

In Pittsburgh there is so much vinyl that it has to be either very rare or practically free for me to bother with anything below VG+.

9. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

We get more decent equipment than a lot of places thanks to the large amount of wealthy retirees that make south florida their home, but we seem to get all the people that loved Lawrence Welk and anything with "101 Strings" or "Reader's Digest" and tons and tons of insipid elevator music. I can't even begin to imagine the kind of soul-less creature that would listen to this stuff but they certainly seemed to buy them back in the 60's and 70's. If you're a fan of mid-century to 1990's Latin music, there's also a gold mine of minty vinyl for you here, but alas, I'm not.

I did have one huge score last year when one of my local thrifts received about 8 large boxes full of hundreds of classical and opera music that was obviously someone's beloved collection. Almost 40 box sets and a few hundred records from Aida to Zaide and everything in-between. They had apparently just come in and hadn't yet been destroyed by whoever it is that paws through records and can give a shit about the next guy. I noticed a lot of them had the little round "LAST" stickers that indicated we not only had a music lover but an audiophile's collection.

So I says to the lady, I says, "How much for those records?" She tells me they usually charge a buck each. So I ask, how much if I take all of them? And then she thinks for a minute and says $25 ok? I couldn't believe my luck. I guess they just wanted to move them out of the store! It took 4 trips to get them all in my car. I'm still going through them and listening. I wasn't a big fan of opera, but the box sets come with books that translate the Italian to English and after sitting down with the Aida set, I was hooked! I'm even learning Italian!

Lazarus Long, markshan and Leland47 like this.
  10. markshan

As an opera major in college, this post delights me. The lyric book is called a libretto (since you are learning Italian). Who are some of the leads/conductors? I'm curious as to the era of the records. For me, there is Pavarotti and there is everybody else, YMMV.

11. MannyE

I'll post some pictures this evening when I get back from toiling in the salt mines.

In the meantime:

Don Giovanni Decca 412-5
    Sutherland Bacquier Lorengar Horne Gramm Krenn

Wagner/Jochum Die Meistersinger Von Nurnberg DG 2713011 Plácido Domingo, Roland Hermann and a few others.

Arabella Angel Records "Digital" DSCX-3917 Julia Varady, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau

Fígaro. Angel Records 3608 D/L "S" Eberhard Wachter and Elizabeth Schwarzkopf

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  12. markshan

All over the place time wise. Sounds like they came from a true collector. Also all German stuff. I was more into the Italian "Bel Canto" (Verdi, Puccini, etc..)

13. JayBlok

JayBlok New Member

Found this Numark DM1001X Mixer/Preamp in front of the local record store on top of an empty speaker box by the dumpster.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sounds Great and easily strong enough to push my 1971 Magnavox 1P3943 Amplifier through some re-foamed JBL 2600 Speakers!
    [​IMG]

14. numerique

numerique Active Member

Certainly oughta to sound a lot better than the stuff at WKRP.:rockon::rolleyes:

15. highping

highping AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sanyo Plus Series PL20 amp and preamp for $10 at an electronic recycle center. 101_8712.JPG

SPL db, Ds2000 and JayBlok like this.
  16. MannyE

Yes! I hadn't noticed that until I started making the list. I guess since I'm not well (or at all) educated on opera besides whatever Bugs Bunny presented (hence my delight at finding Figaro..haha) I hadn't zeroed in on the names of the performers. Regardless it's a shit-ton of music and I like it! Only problem is i'm seeing the entrance to a rabbit hole! :)

BilboBaggins likes this.
  17. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Super Member

Picked up a Pioneer Elite CLD 79 and a Laserdisc of 2010 to test it with. Great condition and fully functional. These seem to go for a decent amount on the bay..

18. markshan

If you have any questions along the way, feel free to message me.

19. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Super Member

Sounds like a pretty good haul. I bet you have some real gems in there. You could be sitting on some serious money..

20. MannyE

Meh. :dunno:

Maybe but not until I've gone through them and find stuff I really don't enjoy listening to. That won't be for a long time.