Best Thrift Store/Goodwill/SA Finds

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Marantzaholic, May 21, 2003.

1. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

Meh. :dunno:

Maybe but not until I've gone through them and find stuff I really don't enjoy listening to. That won't be for a long time.

2. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

Any Telarc digital recordings in there? Some of them book really high. Very nice find. I don't think I could have passed them by for $25.00.

3. JamVal

JamVal Super Member

Set of Boston Acoustics A60 - with the dome tweeters and oak vinyl veneer. Woofers need to be refoamed. Slim pickings around here lately.
    Strange thing is my son found a set of A60's with the cone tweeters and darker vinyl veneer in the same store a week earlier. The foams on his were good, but not sure if they are the correct 'filleted' foams recommended for the BA 'A' series woofers.

We will do a direct A-B comparison when I get mine done. I will rely on my son's ears, mine aren't what they used to be. Just had my annual check up and my doc says I have a hearing loss in my right ear. All this time I was wondering why every amp or receiver I score seems to have a slightly weaker right channel.

IMGP7210.JPG IMGP7212.JPG

4. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

Those look very good! Should sound very good when you are done! Nice find! And even better, someone to share the hobby with! :thumbsup:

5. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

Yeah, well I wasn't even a fan of opera and only slightly interested in classical (I knew the basics that everyone knows) but even I couldn't say no. To be frank, I initially thought that such a pristine collection would have some value to someone so even if I didn't like it, someone would, but I ended up having a great time listening to them and discovering new music. Additionally, I knew exactly what all these mint condition records would have looked like after a week of being pawed through by whoever and I just hate seeing something irreplaceable destroyed.

Those are great speakers! I have a pair of A70 I got in the exact same condition and after a refoam from Simply Speakers (I bought the foam and did it myself) they easily beat out the Klipsch KG 2.2 I had found earlier. In fact, if they weren't so freaking ugly I may have been able to keep them in the house instead of them being relegated to the garage. I haven't put them up against the Theil 04a yet, but the battle will happen soon.

markshan and bobsvinyl like this.
  6. bartmech88

bartmech88 New Member

How do you like the STA-36 receiver?

7. Satch

Satch Audiotinkerer

No gear today, but some music (although some might disagree ;) )

Noise.jpg

Tool - Lateralus
    Tool - 10.000 days
    Opeth Blackwater Park (Legacy Edition)

SPL db, Crazy Gnome and Man in Cave like this.
  8. likebike23

likebike23 Well-Known Member

It has potential, but has issues right now. It has distortion on one channel that is more pronounced when it is on stereo vs mono. I ran it for a couple of hours one night and the distortion disappeared and it sounded really sweet. Unfortunately the distortion came back so I don't want to run it until I figure out what I'm going to do.

@Satch, you got Tool and Opeth at a thrift? That would be a mega score to me.

bartmech88 likes this.
  9. Satch

Satch Audiotinkerer

I was surprised as well, not the kind of stuff you'd normally find in a thrift :)

likebike23 likes this.
  10. DublinTrader

DublinTrader AK Subscriber Subscriber

Buy the Pound GW yielded a pair of Boston Acoustics A-60s ($2) and a boatload of cassettes ($8.64) including a sealed copy of Dire Straits self-titled release. Savers yielded a Kiss Motion Lamp with the box from 2006 produced by Rabbit Tanaka for $5 and an orphan Infinity RS-2000 for $4. Remarkably none of the speakers currently need new surrounds.

Attached Files:

bobsvinyl likes this.
  11. Superreverb

Superreverb Active Member

Not exactly a SCORE, but it was $35 at one of my favorite thrifts. NAD 7175PE.
    Weak right channel (that I traced to the "low power" switch) and dusty, dirty pots. A few good blasts of Deoxit and it's sounding great. Gobs of power!! Not as warm as my 2230, though. Maybe one of the kids'll be taking it to school in the Fall. Also snagged a Nakamichi OMS-2A with remote for $13. Needs a new loading belt, but otherwise veddy, veddy nice....

[​IMG]

12. JWinTN

JWinTN AK Subscriber Subscriber

If you ask me, Lateralus is one of the best rock albums ever.

Satch likes this.
  13. Boonaroo

Boonaroo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Scored a Paradigm PDR 12 sub for $15. Needs a new woofer which I got on the bay for $34. Will be going into the girlfriends system. She loves music.

highwaychile likes this.
  14. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

Less than fifty cents a watt. That's a score.

highwaychile likes this.
  15. numerique

numerique Active Member

Good to hear your Nakamichi OMS-2A had the remote.:thumbsup:
    I picked up an OMS-2A for less than half that ( belt timing off ) but without remote.

Given current Evil Bay prices for remotes, the Nakamichi remote was worth the price paid for both.

Remotes bundled with any audio item are very hard to find in the Chicago area.

16. Superreverb

Superreverb Active Member

It was kind of screwy with the remote. I went back to look for it after I put the OMS in my cart, thinking maybe the remote is on a different shelf. Well, I found it bundled with a cheap Sony CD player and promptly taped to its proper home. Fate was smiling on me that time :)

17. JayBlok

JayBlok New Member

I found a Yamaha HTR-5920 in a cardboard box on the night before garbage pickup day without a power cord and no top cover!
    I added a power cord and it turned on.Sounds pretty good for what it is :thumbsup:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Eywadude, electronjohn and numerique like this.
  18. nedseg

nedseg AK Subscriber Subscriber

3 R.jpg 4 R.jpg 1 R.jpg 2 R.jpg
    Tripped across this console at Habitat Restore in Monona Wi today. Just posting in case someone is interested.
    Garrard TT, Packard Bell amp/tuner/aiming device? Has a 'tested' sticker, so must be great. Sticker said $100.
    No personal interest or involvement, was just dropping off donations....didn't even think to look at/for speakers!

JayBlok likes this.
  19. numerique

numerique Active Member

Oddly, I stopped at the SA store that sold me a functioning Akai GX 260D last November......hoping that lightning would strike twice in the same spot.
    No luck, but I did see two VCRs with CD player remotes taped to 'em.. ( different brands than the VCRs, too! ) .:no::confused:

20. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

Went out a couple of times this week and picked up a few LPs with the best find being the John Fahey Yellow Princess album. The GW near my house had added about 50 to 60 new albums and many were good Rock titles like Cream and Vanilla Fudge. Unfortunately, all the vinyl was badly scratched.

2017-04-21 15.25.13.jpg