Best Thrift Store/Goodwill/SA Finds

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Marantzaholic, May 21, 2003.

1. DublinTrader

DublinTrader AK Subscriber Subscriber

Buy the Pound GW yielded a pair of Boston Acoustics A-60s ($2) and a boatload of cassettes ($8.64) including a sealed copy of Dire Straits self-titled release. Savers yielded a Kiss Motion Lamp with the box from 2006 produced by Rabbit Tanaka for $5 and an orphan Infinity RS-2000 for $4. Remarkably none of the speakers currently need new surrounds.

Attached Files:

bobsvinyl likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Superreverb

Superreverb Active Member

Not exactly a SCORE, but it was $35 at one of my favorite thrifts. NAD 7175PE.
    Weak right channel (that I traced to the "low power" switch) and dusty, dirty pots. A few good blasts of Deoxit and it's sounding great. Gobs of power!! Not as warm as my 2230, though. Maybe one of the kids'll be taking it to school in the Fall. Also snagged a Nakamichi OMS-2A with remote for $13. Needs a new loading belt, but otherwise veddy, veddy nice....

[​IMG]

3. JWinTN

JWinTN AK Subscriber Subscriber

If you ask me, Lateralus is one of the best rock albums ever.

Satch likes this.
  4. Boonaroo

Boonaroo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Scored a Paradigm PDR 12 sub for $15. Needs a new woofer which I got on the bay for $34. Will be going into the girlfriends system. She loves music.

highwaychile likes this.
  5. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

Less than fifty cents a watt. That's a score.

highwaychile likes this.
  6. numerique

numerique Active Member

Good to hear your Nakamichi OMS-2A had the remote.:thumbsup:
    I picked up an OMS-2A for less than half that ( belt timing off ) but without remote.

Given current Evil Bay prices for remotes, the Nakamichi remote was worth the price paid for both.

Remotes bundled with any audio item are very hard to find in the Chicago area.

7. Superreverb

Superreverb Active Member

It was kind of screwy with the remote. I went back to look for it after I put the OMS in my cart, thinking maybe the remote is on a different shelf. Well, I found it bundled with a cheap Sony CD player and promptly taped to its proper home. Fate was smiling on me that time :)

8. JayBlok

JayBlok New Member

I found a Yamaha HTR-5920 in a cardboard box on the night before garbage pickup day without a power cord and no top cover!
    I added a power cord and it turned on.Sounds pretty good for what it is :thumbsup:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Eywadude, electronjohn and numerique like this.
  9. nedseg

nedseg AK Subscriber Subscriber

3 R.jpg 4 R.jpg 1 R.jpg 2 R.jpg
    Tripped across this console at Habitat Restore in Monona Wi today. Just posting in case someone is interested.
    Garrard TT, Packard Bell amp/tuner/aiming device? Has a 'tested' sticker, so must be great. Sticker said $100.
    No personal interest or involvement, was just dropping off donations....didn't even think to look at/for speakers!

JayBlok likes this.
  10. numerique

numerique Active Member

Oddly, I stopped at the SA store that sold me a functioning Akai GX 260D last November......hoping that lightning would strike twice in the same spot.
    No luck, but I did see two VCRs with CD player remotes taped to 'em.. ( different brands than the VCRs, too! ) .:no::confused:

11. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

Went out a couple of times this week and picked up a few LPs with the best find being the John Fahey Yellow Princess album. The GW near my house had added about 50 to 60 new albums and many were good Rock titles like Cream and Vanilla Fudge. Unfortunately, all the vinyl was badly scratched.

2017-04-21 15.25.13.jpg

12. SoundOfSound

SoundOfSound Super Member

13. Splatter Pak

Splatter Pak High-End Scrounger

Not a thrift, but I hit a local Junior League sale, and bought a junk box for a dollar. Among other things, it contained two iPods, three Canon digital cameras and one Nikon.

EDIT: After time charging, one iPod will not take a charge, and one Canon has a lens problem and will not operate. That leaves me with the Nikon, one iPod loaded with several autdiobooks, and two digital ELPH Canon cameras with two extra batteries, one extra SD card and four chargers. Another goodie I haven't tried is a Belkin FM transmitter meant to play the iPod thru an FM tuner/radio.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  14. dodog

dodog Addicted Member

That Fahey is a gem. You could easily argue that he was at his prime on that album. One of my favorites.

bobsvinyl likes this.
  15. gizzyman47

gizzyman47 Super Member

I found a mint condition Yamaha cr-820 receiver in a local thrift a couple years ago, but my best find was last summer. Me and the wife were at the local ReStore in town when we decided to go out to the "yard" where the stuff is unloaded. My wife spotted a large console sitting off to the side. We immediately saw that it was a mid century console that turned out to be a Barzilay entertainment console! It was in great condition too! So I proceeded to open it up, not expecting to find anything inside. To my surprise and delight was a McIntosh 1700 receiver and a Dual turntable both with their original owners manuals! Unfortunately the speakers were absent. Telling my wife not to move from the unit, I went over to an employee to ask how much for the unit. She thought for a moment, then said: Hows $20.00 sound? I said SURE!
    The Mac is now in the bedroom system, looking and sounding great! I haven't done anything with the Dual as I have several good tables. The Barzilay is stored in the garage until we get into a bigger house this year sometime. Well, thats my best ever score!

Goodwillfind, Hofy, mstrane21 and 8 others like this.
  16. 55Redneck

55Redneck Canadian Redneck

Today I picked up a pair of Tannoy M15 speakers from the local church bargain ctr. for 3 bucks. They are missing the grills and one tweeter dome is pushed in and they have a few scuffs on the cabs but they work. Looking forward to putting them through their paces tomorrow. I just gave them a quick test with the radio today. They'll get a good workout tomorrow. ;)

Leland47 and highwaychile like this.

17. Cadillac Kid

Cadillac Kid Addicted Member

Picked up a 1913 Conn Wurlitzer Special 3H trombone at Sally Ann today. Silver plated with gold wash 7 inch bell. Cleaning it up. Sweet tone and fun to play. It will never be a lamp.

The "tuba" was 20 bucks.

IMG_2965.JPG IMG_2963.JPG

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Leland47, bobsvinyl, Mitkraft and 4 others like this.
  18. jpaulson25

jpaulson25 New Member

Broke a long streak of no speaker finds today. Ohm L2's for $8! No grills and the cabinets are fairly rough. They work and sound great though!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

highwaychile, Ds2000, JayBlok and 3 others like this.
  19. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

Those look great! I have an even rougher pair of ohm Ls right now.

20. highping

highping AK Subscriber Subscriber

ESS Tempest LS8's won with a bid of $27.99 on the shopgoodwill.com site. Stained the cabinets today. Will replace the passive woofers tomorrow, and order some foam for the regular woofers. Tweeters work, but one is louder than the other. Ohm readings were 9 on one and 11 on the other. 101_8721.JPG