Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

It's been a while, but I picked up a cheap but very dirty and very, very dirty (nicotine) Yamaha CR-800 (insert clever joke about dirt cheap here). While I love a challenge, I'm not sure I'll get this one to work. But it's worth a shot...

Attachments

• Vies 1.jpg
    Vies 1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 101
  • Vies 2.jpg
    Vies 2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Vies 3.jpg
    Vies 3.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Vies 4.jpg
    Vies 4.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Vies 5.jpg
    Vies 5.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 92
Hmmm... that didn't end well. Probably try to sell it 'as is' as someone might need the knobs and/or woodcase.

It's been a while, but I picked up a cheap but very dirty and very, very dirty (nicotine) Yamaha CR-800 (insert clever joke about dirt cheap here). While I love a challenge, I'm not sure I'll get this one to work. But it's worth a shot...
The nicotine doesn't concern me, but the rust does.

No rust, just a combination of nicotine and (probably) hair from a cat. It came off quite nice using alcohol.
Great. In that case I wouldn't worry. Some people speculate that the cigarrette tar actually preserves electronics (unlike lungs). Here is a before and after shot of my daily driver Marantz 2230 I found on the side of the road. I cleaned it, but never had to touch it with a soldering iron.

1.jpg

It came off quite nice using alcohol.

One tip, remove as much as you can dry before getting into solvents. They will make mud which will run into crevices. I used the exhaust from a shop vac along with a dry paint brush to get rid of 90% of the filth.

I did that outside of course. And with a mask on.

Last edited:
Great. In that case I wouldn't worry. Some people speculate that the cigarrette tar actually preserves electronics (unlike lungs). Here is a before and after shot of my daily driver Marantz 2230 I found on the side of the road. I cleaned it, but never had to touch it with a soldering iron.

1.jpg

Simply amazing.

That might be okay for the removed faceplate, but I fear the ammonia will also dissolve components.

Good point.

It's pH 9 so mildly alkaline. Fingerprints have a pH of 5.5 and I've seen them etch a few metal parts over the years.

And yes, as you said, good for faceplates and painted surfaces, the brown lifts straight off.

I can't seem to find the estate sale thread so I'll post my first finds in a long time here.
Was going for breakfast when I see an estate sale sign on a pole. We got food first and then went to the sale. It was huge and it was obvious the guy was there a long time.

Anyway, after a lot of digging came away with two NIB Altec 405A, a pair of near perfect Keyes fiber WW2 1911 grips, 5 Scotch and Ampex reels and a Heathkit VTVM for the sum of $35. I'm going to keep the meter and read up on the speakers. Maybe they would make a fun project.

Back
Top Bottom